View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Jabbr
What is the largest creative you have seen so far?

Creative? Creature?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:20 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Gwendo - yes. Everything seems more alive than I expected. And what surprised me most: There are more factions to join than I thought. I was aware of the three houses, the thieves guild, the warriors guild and the mages guild - but there are at least two more.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:24 pm
Weas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
If you have follow up questions - shoot them at me. No prob.

Given that the preview build isn't feature complete, is there one race that strikes you as more interesting than the others so far? eg: Rough and tumble redgaurds getting drunk and loud in the tavern, or khajit doing cool feline type things?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:55 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Can you drink bears (or smoke swamp weed ) and stuff like that. If you can then do you get drunk for awhile? What is the difference between Gothic and Morrowind?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:58 pm
Applebrown

Hiya Rend. Nice preview!... er, Q&A so far.

To answer the question of the Matrox G400 32 Meg card. Your computer is powerful enough to play the game without much slowdown at a respectable distance, but unfortunately your card would need to be upgraded if you want to enjoy what your computer is cabable of.

I'm running it right now on a 300A Celeron OC'd to 464 Mhz, Radeon LE (32 Meg) and 256 Mb SDRAM. Yeah, it's not too pretty. But hey, I've logged 70+ hours on the game, and agree with Rend. It's the best RPG yet made. Believe me, I wouldn't have played it that long, on this system, if it weren't . Although.... if we're talking relatively here, I think the Ultimas through VII could qualify along with this, easily. Ultima VII was a technical (if not a horrendous head-ache with its proprietary Voodoo memory) marvel, along the same lines as Morrowind is today.

A thing that has impressed me that I wasn't expecting is how ACCESSIBLE the NPC's are to try and kill. You can go right up to the most powerful NPC in the game and take a stab at killing him/her/it . I did, and after a 10 minute potion-infusion marathon, I went down like the poser he/she/it thought I was! However! I did manage to defeat a level 19 Fighter NPC (not a guard, but an Agro Woman with a set of full steel) with a level 3 Character. THAT caught me totally off guard. Again, this is after using all my potions... and I was a Crusader type with heavy armor myself... but it is possible.

-=Applebrown
@ GameBanshee
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:14 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Very nice, it's even harder for me to wait, cause in my opinion Gothic's the best rpg ever, so even better than gothic is completely amazing i think

it's true about shadows..take the game Jedi Knight2, it really does slow down on alot of places when realistic shadows are put on.

one more thing...

What about jumping? is it possible in Morrowind?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:22 pm
belain

combat

Rend:

A Question if I may: Are there any advantages to complete manual control in combat and is the interface better than the one in Daggerfall?

Auto mode sounds like a good idea - but perhaps some credit should be given to those who stay in mostly manual mode - quicker increase in combat skill perhaps?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:32 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

To answer the questions that have gathered:

Controlling combat manually might make things harder, actually, but if you like realism, that's the way to go. The combat interface is way better than in Daggerfall, yes.

Jumping is possible in Morrowind, and it's a skill called acrobatics. The better you get, the higher you can jump. There are places only acrobats will be able to access. So train it

You can drink beer an liquors, and they all have effects like raising some stats while lowering others. There are illegal drugs in Morrowind, too.

Difference between Morrowind and Gothic: that's a hard one. Couldn't answer that in a few sentences. You'll see them in the second part of our preview (the first one will go up after I have finished these lines).

The preview IS feature complete, but some features are buggy (we confirmed with Bethesda that the pathfinding issues have already been resolved, BTW). And there is no race that strikes me more interesting than others. It just depends on your preferred style of playing.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:12 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Where? Where? I canīt see the prewiev.

Oh! Sorry I found it.

Great preview.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:15 pm
Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Once again, thanks for your preview and taking the time to answer us.

I have one small concern here, is it hard to fight using the third person
view? I have little concern regarding close combat but what about ranged
fighting (bow and other)?

I'm very glad that they added a third person view, I'm just affraid that the
game is too much first person centric.

Thank you!
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:46 pm
Ammon

i have a few follow up questions for ya.

1) do you see any benefit to *not* having the "best-attack for this weapon" option on? i.e. fighting manually

2a) within the 16 hours of play, how many towns did you visit?
2b) how many creature types do you encounter at a low level?
2c) how many spells did you learn and how much variety?
2d) how many times did you leave your computer?

thats all the questions i've got! thanx for the pre-preview

you lucky dude
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:48 pm

Applebrown

There isn't much of a combat difference between manual and auto. The only difference is that the game takes the best stat of the weapon and uses that as your main attack. I can still utilize the Thrust in my weapon manually even if Auto is on. The basic attack will be the best if Auto is on, but will not prevent you from strafing and attacking to slash, or moving forward manually to thrust, if those aren't by default the choice attacks of your weapon. Shouldn't be much of an issue or difference of feel whichever way you choose to play it.

Not meaning to intrude here,
-=AB
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:50 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I got a couple of questions, too .

1) Combat: What are the exact choices you got? Moving your mouse around like a madman OR that predefined single click attack?
2) The size of the gameworld: I don't get it. If it's that huge why does it fit on 1 CD with so much detail in it? Compared to Gothic, are towns similarly far apart in distance as e.g. a walk from the Old Camp to the New Camp or is it MUCH farther or MUCH closer?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:02 pm
aeternitasadamo

To Rend: What would you say are the worst features of Morrowind because all I hear about is how great it is , whats wrong with it? Also with your map will you have black fog that you need to explore before your able to see it on the map , is there a compass and coordinates system ? Is the story still good even though its very open ended ?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:04 pm

Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah, I realize I should upgrade my lame video card but I doubt I'm actually going to sometime soon.

Besides, graphics aren't very important to me (in fact, I'm actually having a blast with old psx console rpgs, and i doubt they can graphically compare with MWD even on low detail). All I want is smooth gameplay. I usually play low res anyway. I just hope the view distance won't be too annoying.

Ok, a few Q's:
1) Since the combat at its core ressembles Arx (hold and release), does it play like Arx? I thought Arx had fun combat (well, as much fun as I could have fighting rats...)

2)How customizable is your char's physique. I want to be a High Elf, but they look kinda ugly, especially that thing on their head. Can you change that?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next