SWG:Well I went and did it.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

SWG:Well I went and did it.

Got a 2 month game card the other day at Best Buy. Is anyone here still playing on Chilastra? I was surprised that all of my characters were intact (August was the last month I subscribed). Right now my character (Caric Leoric) has skills in Marksman, medic, Ranger, and CH. I can't decide which branches to go up in....I'm out of skill points.

If anyone here is still active and wants to hook up, post here.

Can't say I've been overly impressed with where the game is since I've been gone. Vehicles are the most noticeable improvement. They're great! Have only seen 1 guy on a creature mount. Player cities are pretty annoying, they are all over the planets. Lots of ghost towns from where people have built one and then quit the game.. Perhaps the space expansion will bring more ppl back.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:30 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Welcome back to SWG . I'm on Eclipse (still sort of my "main" character) and Infinity (Euro server .. just recently started this toon to be prepared for the "ping-sensitive" space expansion and Jedi PvP so this char may become my "main" real soon), not Chilastra... but differences between servers appear to be marginal anyway.

Well, if you have plenty of time to grind right now and can grind quickly, I would recommend to go for Master Rifleman/Master Heavy Swordsman or Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic . You will not only be very successful in PvP (a.k.a god mode) but also be able to solo just about *every* single mob in the game (including Nightsister Elders and Krayt Dragons).

That is, until the combat rebalance patch (nerf) hits live. It's probably still 2-3 months away. That's why I said "if you can grind quickly".

If you can not grind to Master Rifleman/CM/MHS quickly then your guess about the next FOTM (flavor of the month) template is as good as mine. Creature Handler might become a real interesting profession again if the nerf hits as hard as expected but who knows what's really gonna happen?

My advice: Money makes the world go 'round in SWG as much as it does in RL so your best bet is to master Rifleman ASAP (along with MHS/Master Brawler or MCM) and get working on Nightsisters. Pray for a few really good loot drops (crystals, tapes or "uber" lances/axes) and raise as much cash as possible before the big nerf bat hits us all.
Then do the quests for force sensitivity (Jedi).
Be aware that you can still unlock a 2nd character slot but that you will want to make your main character a Jedi (you would have to do the whole quest thing again to make your 2nd character Jedi as well so the character you unlock should become your Jedi support character instead of the other way around as it used to be).

---

Trust me regarding the "solo-ability" of Nighsister Elders or Krayts. I'm playing a Master Rifleman/Master Smuggler (which is far from a perfect combo as Smugglers only get Pistol skills and mods) on Eclipse and am currently having no problems to solo NS Elders (350K+ HAM).

Just migrate your stats and maximize your mind stats like (example for a Human): 1100 Mind / 1000 Focus / 800 Willpower (maybe 900 Willpower, not sure about the max at the moment). Buy Vasarian Brandy and Vagnerian Canape with good stats to enhance your mind stats even further and/or get a mind buff in a cantina. Then get Master Doc buffs (+2300-2500) for the remaining stats which should all be at 400/400/400 unbuffed (Human).

There's a bug at the moment which prevents Nightsisters from using force powers or any other specials (like knockdown/dizzy .. only their Rancors still do it sometimes lol).
It's a piece of cake to solo them with 80%+ kinetic composite armor, buffs and mind-enhancing foods.
Just watch out for resistances. If you decide to go for Master Rifleman only (w/o Master Heavy Swordsman) you will be limited in your choice since a T21 rifle does energy damage only. Stay away from the NS's with 100% energy resists as you will not be able to put a dent in their HAM.

However, if you are a Master Rifleman, Master Heavy Swordsman and maybe even a Master Brawler (for /intimidate2) you will be an unstoppable killing machine and able to solo all types of NS's with either T21 rifles doing energy damage (using /headshot3) or blast damage, wielding Power Hammers from Swordsman (using /twohandhit3) . Just keep the sisters intimidated all the time (/intimidate1 from the unarmed tree works just fine for me so may want to get that and save the skill points for Master Brawler and put them in medic instead or whatever else you fancy since /intimidate2 from Master Brawler is not really a must).

If you do not care about PvE at all but want to be a PvP god instead then forget about Master Heavy Swordsman and go Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic. Get a suit of armor with 45% ((=cap) stun resistance). Buy/make the best mind poison packs available on your server, get a kick-ass loot-made Jawa Ion Rifle and have at it (use poison packs from 80m and then open fire with Jawa at 64m). You will be invincible until someone with a double-sliced (one of the many exploits Sony fixed way too late and never really took care of) Krayt Jawa Ions comes along.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:06 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Wow Mor...that's quite an extensive post. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to put that together!

I don't really have time for grinding all that much right now; and my armor is the ubese armor I had from way back when. Paid a helluva lot for it back then, and just can't bring myself to ditch it yet.

I have taken advantage of the brandy (not available last time I played) and the doc buffs (which were JUST starting when I left) . Those certainly help out! Right now I'm just tinkering around with my guy, seeing what works and what doesn't. I may master CH, as the guild I'm looking at needs one. I'm still quite a ways away from master, but I'm still farther along than the other members.

Thx again for your post. Glad to see this forum isn't completely dead!
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:29 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I cancelled my subscription last week ... as of June 25th my near-year of SWG will come to an end.

None of my friends played anymore, I was sick of all the grinding dancers in the bars, the lag seemed horrible after playing EVE online (which I also quit... no more MMORPG for me for a while, I think... same old crap in every game. Without exception.), and the feeling that this wasn't the Star Wars universe... merely a shadowy replica.

My character had maxed out his skill points within three months... so I had nothing to do and no sense of advancement to top everything off...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:40 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well Xen, if you maxed out your points in 3 months, why did you play for another 9?

On a side note, you definitely have a point about the lag. When I left the game in August '03, I remember the ONLY lag I had was entering cities. Coronet, Bestine, etc where there's a lot of people and pets running around. Now, I can be out in a hunting party and will get like a 3-5 second delay on my commands. What the hell? If I type a msg and hit 'enter' it takes it a few seconds to come up on screen. If I attack an enemy, same thing. Big delay. That sucks!

I guess maybe vehicles are to blame. I'm sure they give the servers a lot more chugging to do every second. I'm no expert, but that must have something to do with it. If that's the case, how are they going to handle the space expansion??
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:44 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Truthfully, I maxxed out in 3, I had fun for another three because of my player association and exploring, I got involved in a lot of single player games and only played a few hours a week for another three (and was getting disgusted with all the grinding going on), and didn't log in more than twice for the last month or two that I played. When it got to the point where I realized that I was basically paying 14 dollars for an hour of entertainment (or lag) I realized it was time to move on.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:37 pm
Arous_Bane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

so is it like actually better to get a pre paid game card cause it covers 2 months free right so is it worth it to pay like 30 bucks to get one of those or payin monthly im just lookin for opinons so dont get pissed off at me
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:08 am