Usergroups
Bg2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

@Lady Armageddona: I think they were hoping the strongholds would give people more satisfaction with joining groups, you could join the paladins or thieves that way. The strongholds did have some element of good (paladins) and evil (thieves), but were mainly neutral by requirementand had nothing that really influenced the game world as they were entirely self contained. I always liked being able to change the game world with my actions in an RPG, otherwise it is just superficial.

BG 1 was basically impossible for a truly evil person to exist, which made me wonder why there was any evil or monsters in that game at all as they had unlimited armies to send against me when I robbed a villager.

"Evil is all about being selfish ... sadistic is merely an aspect, a power trip, and some would say a perk. "

"Good will always triumph in the end ... evil just gets to make the story in between as miserable as possible."

Wrong. In that world there are evil races and evil countries/citieswhich endure. It is not a carebear land with the rare evil person or the odd evil deed. It has Evil Mc Wizard ruling for hundreds of years over his slave kingdom, not him just pushing a kid infront of a cart for a laugh. There is no excuse for not including real evil in it. You should be able to be a monster and work your way through. Other games have done it and the PnP it was based off of lets you do it. It is just frustrating and seems cheap. It makes the good part seem forced onto you and removes much of the roleplaying.
Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Enduring evil in fantasy fiction is a theme, yes ... but how often is it a dominant one in Fantasy? Sauron was defeated. The Emperor was defeated by Vader. The Dragon Reborn strives to overthrow the Shadow...

Hero X is born in some place humble Y to liberate the world from evil Z. That's staple fantasy so that's what becomes staple RPG.

Decisions to be Dark Lord Rising X born of hatred in Dark Place Y to oppress the world or destroy it is left for the tabletop in D&D.

Other computer game genres feature you as the evil prick ... Grand Theft Auto, Hitman, Alien vs Predator. Driv3r, etc. CRPGs in general do not... at best they include some evil alternate quests and endings (Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Old Republic (best evil alternate play through and ending ever)).

The D&D computer games could do more to allow for evil... for instance the popular Evil act dropping reputation should only occur when you're seen performing the act. If you stealth into a house and kill everyone and stealth out why should anyone know it was you?

It will not come to pass, though. D&D publishers aim squarely at T for Teen over M for Mature and likely always will ... since that T for Teen is Wizard of the Coast's target audience as well.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3