Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
G2 + Add-on: certain things do not make sense... (spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

G2 + Add-on: certain things do not make sense... (spoilers)

I have started to play again Gothic 2 after a few months, this time with the add-on (I am using the English translation, which, BTW, is a splendid piece of work! A big thanks to the people that did it): so far I am in Chapter I, level VII and the frustration is growing quite high...

1. A number of NPCs are selling wonderful weapons: one-handed or two-handed swords dealing +100 damage and requiring +100 strength, the same goes for certain bows and shortbows. This is nice and fine, but utterly useless... With a system requiring 2 Learning Points per 1 STR or DEX point you need to use 15 levels (15 * 10 = 150 LPs --> 75 STR or 75 DEX) to come closer to those weapons... assuming you do not invest anything in *being capable* to use those weapons (one-hand, two-hands, bow, crossbows skills).

How on Earth can you gain 15 levels in chapter I ? The only thing that you can do is try to enter in the Valley of Mines with tens of thousands of arrows... Could someone explain to me the rationale of this choice?

2. The "sea monsters" of Gothic 2, preventing people from swimming too far away from the city are gone. Now there is some "energy wall" preventing the player from swimming too much. Does it makes sense? At least the "sea monsters" were something more credible...

3. Is there any reasons why a guy like Constantino, whose job is making potions is as skilled in combat as a mercenary? Try to attack him in the city, even with an half-decent armor and sword and you will see what I mean...

4.Rare plants/herbs are even more difficult to find. IMHO, to invest LPs in learning alchemy make sense only on the long run: to be capable to create STR/DEX increase potions you have to invest *a lot* of LPs, therefore you have to be sure to be able to create many potions. If that is not true, it makes more sense to invest LP in STR/DEX directly.

I could go on with other examples...

The point I am trying to make is the following: it is crystal clear that G2 + Add-On is way more difficult. This if fine, even if a fight against a couple of "young giant rat" can be fatal if you do not pay attention... But this can be accepted, after all some enemies of G2 were ridicously easy to kill (e.g. the Dragons and the so-called "Dementors").

What I do not understand is the fact the "learning" process is so steep that you can't absolutely learn enough to advance in the game: there are not enough LP to learn to wield a weapon (STR/DEX) and to use it properly (skills)... And this without using a single LP in getting mana or magic skills!

What will you do as a Mage? You *need* some basic 1h and bow skills to survive at the beginning... Bow skills at the very least if you want to adopt a stand-off approach.

To me, whoever has made the Add-On (and modified G2 game structure) was thinking that a good game is a game where you are forced to spend 100 hours leveling up (save game, try something, be killed, load game, try something, gain XP, save game, ...) for the pleasure of branding a decent weapon/armor and be finally capable to kill a couple of Orcs in 30 seconds.

I simply don't get it

Saruman
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:05 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

ur... the game is not that hard at all

I am level 30 and I didn't had any problems so far, personaly, i find the gaem to easy, specialy the add-on world.

1) it wasn't meant for you to buy this weapons in act I. this makes things just more realistic, because merchants wares don't change when story progresses.
It just gives you a glance for what will you use in the future, and as I said, it's more realistic and I like it like that.

btw I was over level 15 in chapter I, I always level up before I go to the valley of mines, it's easier this way, because the monsters there are very tough. At the begining of the act II I was taking out whole packs of Snappers without a problem..

2) huh? what are you trying to pull here?

3) this makes you not to beat people up early in the game, so you can't earn gold & xp to easily. go kill some monsters, for Innos's sake

and that's the best part of the game. you progress slowly. it takes long before you are capable to take out that orcs, shadowbeasts and skeletons on your own. personaly, i find the first half of the game better, before you have more fear and you're happy for every xp point you gain. the game was begining to bore me at the end, because no orc could withstand against me. i could take out legions of orcs/trolls/skeletons by than, the game becomes to easy. but on the other hand, it's a good thing too, so you can finally show all that monsters who's the boss.

keep cool mate, and just enjoy this great game
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:45 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and dont forget about that , that many many gothic fans on those forums and other forums complained that Gothic 2 was toooo easy and complained it to devs , well now u have a harder game your request has been completed imo the addon was great for me also it sure was tougher than plain gothic 2 but that made u think more on strategyc ways of playing it
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:28 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

Re: G2 + Add-on: certain things do not make sense... (spoile

it's not that those things don't make sence, it's a stupidity made by the creators.
i found a sword in chapter 1 that you needed 90 strength to cary it

i thought that i should add though that the sleepers were too tough it the NotR. they used fireballs,some sort of crystals, ice arrows, ice block and even healing not to mention that they had raised hitpoints
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:31 pm