Usergroups
English&Geman
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, same, but I also hope they don't rush it. There are too many games out there with great potential which is only "okay" to play because they were rushed. I trust PB will do the right thing.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:06 pm
pink-hippo
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Dunno if this is legal (or politically ethical) or not, but can't they just package German and English together in their games?

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Take Siren, for example (or Forbidden Siren, if you prefer) - a superb Japanese horror game, ruined by an absolutely appalling English dub.

Yes, I prefer playing games and watching movies with original voices and English subtitles. Those voices of high-pitched snobbish American high school girls in the dubs, Teh Horror! Exceptions may not be as rare as you think, though. XD
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 am
MafioZo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I for sure wouldn't even mind German version with English subtitles. Making subtitles for the game isn't that hard, is it?
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:53 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I remember siren dont know where this "suberb" came from one of the worst horror games on the ps2 i played yeah the voice acting was bad

I'd wait until gothic 3 is fully playable with 100% english voices i'd refuse to play it in german was english subs cause the german voices are so awful it just doesnt fit with the game and i cant stand em english suites this game best.

Same thing if you're talking to ppl in gothic 3 and there all talking japanese japanese goes well with japan related games etc i tried the german demo of gothic 2 ah the voices i wanted to barf
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:00 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pink-hippe: A lot of devs do that - you get to select language when installing. The problem with Gothic is the size, we're talking 8 hours of non-stop talking in Gothic 2 alone(even without the add-on), so G3 must be 10-20 hours of talking. Addind English to the German version would make the game go from 3-4 CDs to 6-7CDs, and that would increase production costs etc.

Developing a game is all about making money, and choices made are based on profit. German is, by far, the biggest part of the Gothic community, so they release the game in German speaking countries first, then English later, and in two different versions to not increase the production costs.

At least that is my guess.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:34 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"95% of the community speaks German"

Is that true, your joking right?

How would it be possible to know such a thing if that were true?
Are you going by total sales of Gothic, Gothic2 and NotR?
I am only guessing here but I would expect English language sales would be higher, certianly high if not for JoWood's poor handling of Gothic 2 and NotR,
also Gothic had poor publisher as well in reguards to English sales.

As I recall hearing in the past, as an example many Europeans players waited for the English version and have said as much for Gothic 3.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:20 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Giving some further thought to Maylanders info'

(re: quote) "so G3 must be 10-20 hours of talking. Addind English to the German version would make the game go from 3-4 CDs to 6-7CDs, and that would increase production costs etc.

The micro-data tracks on a dvd disc can hold a ratio of 10 to 1 of conventional cd-rom tracks, many recent games are now available in "dvd-only" discs to hold the extra data, therefore the logical deduction is, to save costs etc'....... that G3 may well be available in "DVD only" ........this will also prevent the G2 cd-rom only issue where many players tried to install G2 from incompatible dvd-rom cd players.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:12 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

Gorath is talking about Jowood's main market, Germany and Austria. Gothic is much more popular there. In the rest of the world is nothing more than a cult-game.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

How would it be possible to know such a thing if that were true?

The German community is much bigger. The English community is spread over just a few sites. Many fans visit them all, and a not so small part of the English community is from Germany. Maybe 95% is slightly exaggerated and itīs only 80%. Doesnīt really make a difference.

quote:
Are you going by total sales of Gothic, Gothic2 and NotR?
I am only guessing here but I would expect English language sales would be higher, certianly high if not for JoWood's poor handling of Gothic 2 and NotR,
also Gothic had poor publisher as well in reguards to English sales.

The internatinal sales in all the different languages are for sure higher than the German sales. You shouldnīt forget the average sales price, though. What do you think how many Gold Ed. Aspyr has to sell to make the same profit for JoWooD than 1 add-on in Germany? Gothic is a mainstream product in Germany. Itīs a safe no.1 hit.

It looks like G3 will come relatively quicker than the other games, though. Half of Europe has the same publisher as the German version, most other inportant territories are closed and Aspyr already announced the game. The G2 Gold release was more or less okay. I bet youīll get G3 less than 3 months after the Germans.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:07 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Oh well its still one of the best rpg's ive ever played and i'll never forget it im sure if more ppl knew about it what it was and played it they would also love it.
Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:34 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Aye Wulf, that's a fair point. I wouldn't be surprised if G3 is released on DVD only, as it will take quite a lot of CDs. I don't really see the problem though, as any comp capable of running G3 will(most likely) have a DVD player.
Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:17 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Any one who doesnt have a dvd player / burner by now should be shot chances are if they dont even have a dvd player that wont even be able to run the computer with there older crap hardware.

its funny seeing the post's will my computer run gothic and they all have crappy MX cards come on guys get a job and buy a new comp or steal one anything
Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:59 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"The internatinal sales ..... Itīs a safe no.1 hit."

Ok that is what I thought you meant, I understand

I will say I think that definalty takes away credit/existance from the actual non German fan base.
Since the distribution was handled so poorly on all Gothic games outside of the German only language areas.
I think your point about price is right on the money, the problem is none (err surely not many) of the non German language countries ever heard of it or at least not very much.

So under the current mesurement for success or fan base the rest of the world (any and all languages ) could have sold more copies than the German language base, yet the German language base would still be consoidered bigger.
THe fact that the rest of the would was not informed or offer Gothic in a timely nor effecient fashion all those sales from non German languages countries sold for less than market value, there by reducing the total profit margins.

This is not do to lack of fan base but to poor market analyst mesurements by the same companies that provided the poor marketing and distrubution.

I only mention this due to large negelected fan base of Gothic not because I care if more Germans like Gothic than Chineese, Spanish, Italian, Japanses, French, Mexican, Russian, Korean, American ......errrr well you get the idea .

I am thankful for all fans of Gothic no matter what language they speak

At every level, the problems that have existed are due to poor publisher policies and managment, as a result everyone has suffered for it Piranha-Bytes and fans as well.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:49 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

The problem is that they don't market gothic outside germany. Almost all the internationall marketing happens via FANS. Take a look at other rpg-games. the press is doing previews of them all the time, even from games which are less known than gothic-saga. Even the cult-game arx fatalis had better marketing than gothics have ever had. I just can't understand why it is so damn hard to arrange few english interviews and send few copies of gothic to english gaming media. Its like they don't want any atention

I hope jowood does it better this time. I don't mind if i have to wait two months. Waiting two months is better than waiting six or eight months.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:34 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I hope Jowood's Gothic-hype starts soon, because I'm dying to get some new info.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next