RPGDot Feature: The Bard's Tale - Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

RPGDot Feature: The Bard's Tale - Review

Corwin has finished his <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1152">review</a> of InXile's 'The Bard's Tale'. Check it out...<blockquote><em>You have no real choice of character; you play the Bard a slightly unsavoury miscreant with only one thing on his mind. However, I knew I was in for a treat when I visited the very first Inn and listened to the drunks singing. Oh, I realise everyone else writes about the clichéd use of the rat here, but for me it was the singing that brightened my afternoon. Later still, when I experienced for the first time the all singing, all dancing rendition of “It’s Bad Luck to be You”, as the first of many ‘Chosen Ones’ met a grisly end, I knew this was a game to be enjoyed for what it was, rather than for what it wasn’t. Just follow the bouncing ball.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:03 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Corwin, thats just not right. Top down and slightly dated graphics are downs, but easy gameplay is a plus? And you name 5000 more negatives in the review, such as no choice, no character choice, no inv, etc. I don't understand. Someone hold me.
Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:58 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Roqua, what you have to understand, is that this is NOT your normal game. It's DELIBERATELY designed to be the way it is, except for the legacy from its console heretige. (Though I was tempted to write Heresy!! ) If youwant a deeply engrossing, old skool RPG, give it a miss. If instead you want some simple FUN while you laugh at all the easily recognisable RPG cliches, then give this a try. The Demo is actually NOT a good sampling of the game. It is a GAME, just not your standard fare; and yet it is. For example, there's tons of barrels, but they contain-NOTHING.However, the Bard will tell you how GREAT he is when he smashes lots of them. If you follow this, early on you can get a QUEST from the barrell maker to smash all the chests you can find, cause that will bring him more business!! Everything we're used to in RPG's, is 'sent up' in some way. Half the fun is recognising all of them!! It's a great game, in spite of its faults, many of which are deliberate!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:26 pm
Voice of Reason

Yes, they made it bad on purpose, don't you get it? I mean, gee whiz man, who in their right mind would take the time to put some truly amazing gameplay into a game? That would be like putting chocolate flavoring into your scoop of chocolate ice cream. I mean, why would chocolate ice cream taste like chocolate?

You just don't get it!
Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:13 pm

Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Did I stumble on to RPGCodex?

"This satire of RPG games doesn't take itself seriously so we hate it! And we're gonna get snotty to anyone that finds anything good to say about it. So there!"

I played the demo and thought it was humorous and entertaining. I mean who would want to take the time to put some entertainment into a game. I just don't get it.
Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:54 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I completely agree with Corwin on this one. I bought it with a sinking feeling in my stomach that maybe I made a $45 mistake. This game was definitly not what I wanted but I keep playing it because it's so funny! I love those sing-alongs...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:09 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Roqua, what you have to understand, is that this is NOT your normal game. It's DELIBERATELY designed to be the way it is, except for the legacy from its console heretige. (Though I was tempted to write Heresy!! ) If youwant a deeply engrossing, old skool RPG, give it a miss. If instead you want some simple FUN while you laugh at all the easily recognisable RPG cliches, then give this a try. The Demo is actually NOT a good sampling of the game. It is a GAME, just not your standard fare; and yet it is. For example, there's tons of barrels, but they contain-NOTHING.However, the Bard will tell you how GREAT he is when he smashes lots of them. If you follow this, early on you can get a QUEST from the barrell maker to smash all the chests you can find, cause that will bring him more business!! Everything we're used to in RPG's, is 'sent up' in some way. Half the fun is recognising all of them!! It's a great game, in spite of its faults, many of which are deliberate!!

I understand the apeal of the game and the "genius" behind it. I personally disagree with turning the Bard's Tale into this instead of making a real sequel, just as I would disagree with a Terminator 4 staring Jim Carry and Eddy Murphy doing slapstick robot-killing action mockery comedy. A new IP could be made in either case instead of changing something from what it is and disregarding its fan base that made the IP popular.

But, my comment was just on the pro's and con's. I understand how you said the whole was larger than the sum of its parts, so even with the negatives pointed out a score of 80 is warranted due to fun and entertainment/humor/chuckles. I just don't understand how there is still a con box empty when there are plenty of them listed in the review, or how top down view could be bad? Or how slightly dated graphics can impact a score based off of the "genius" of a game and its uniqueness. Or how easy game play is a pro? Shouldn't repetitive, easy combat be a con? Or if thats up for opinion should it even be in either pro or con box?

I just like consistency. I'm sure Grimore, a game I am looking forward to, will be rated by you on a totally different standard. But both games are rpgs, right? (or at least until I win a "what is or isn't an rpg" argument) If both games are rpgs why have different standards? Shouldn't there be one rpg standard? Will grimore get gigged for poor graphics? How much should this count for? Wow had funny signing and dancing but didn't get that as a pro.

Well, obviously i'm just nitpicking now and some of the examples are assinine (like the dancing and singing in wow) but you get what I'm saying.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 am
corwin

Tell you what Roqua, how about we let you write the review for Grimoire as a special guest reviewer!! I honestly DON'T want to write it, as I'm too close to the game!! Finally, a review is only a personal opinion and I like it; it's a hoot to play and bottom line, enjoyment is why I play them in the first place!!

Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:34 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

And just as a side note: I liked this review, it is well written and informative. Good job. I think my critisism of the pro's and con's was in general and not aimed at you. I don't understand how top down view is a con unless the game was an FPS or a side scroller (but the contra for snes had both).

I would gladly write a review of Grimiore, but i think we all know no one agrees with me on almost anything, so a review of anything by me would actually not serve the purpose of reviewing something (which is to inform potential buyers of the game if its a good purchase or not). My function here is more to annoy and disinform than to inform. You'd have to have a real person write another review.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:03 pm
corwin

Hahaha, write one anyway; it will only take you about 200 hours or so, to play the game and I'll send it to the bossman for you. We'll let him decide!! If you behave yourself, I might even let you see the walkthru I've written!!!!!

Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:48 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Walkthroughs are for women and sissy-men. Yeah, if after reading some of my posts and knowing maybe 1 in one billion people agree with anything I say, and you still want me to review the game I will.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:26 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

P.s. I wasn't not saying you are a sissy man for creating a walkthrough. But I do think people that use them regularly are missing the point of playing a game.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:54 pm
corwin

Sometimes a little guidance is necessary!! When some of the beta testers couldn't get past the first map, I felt a compelling need to assist them!! It only has mild spoilers and plenty of helpful hints. Also, it only covers the first 30 hours or so; the FREE Shareware section. I'm considering writing more, but I couldn't do the rest of the game by myself; it's too big and I don't have that much spare time. The first section is semi-linear, though there's lots of options. After that, there are multiple quests that can be done in any order and which are all based in a massive area of the game you don't even get to see in the shareware section. Have fun!!

Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:39 pm