I think I threw off the Game Balance with My Mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I think I threw off the Game Balance with My Mage

I'm starting to realize its too easy (and tempting) to throw off the game balance with Enchantments - even for a Mage. I can only imagine how easy it must be for a fighter.

Its the Summoning Rings I've made. Yesterday I revisited the Ruins just east of Caldera and quickly dispatched a Hunger, Fire Atronach and 2 Golden Saints without really engaging the melee myself. After the battle I started to have second thoughts about proceeding with this character.

Going whole hog into summoning is pretty cool but I think I've unbalanced the game with the rings I've made. I'm level 21 with 100 Intelligence and 91 Willpower, 59 Short Sword - but its the Rings really.

Here are the Rings etc:
1. Summon Fire Atronach 20 Seconds
2. Summon Frost Atronach 20 Seconds
3. Summon Greater Bonewalker & Lesser Bonewalker 20 Seconds
4. Summon Skeletal Minion 60 Seconds
5. All underlying Summon spells from my own Magicka Pool

For the Saints, I used #1, #3 and #4 for maybe 3 cycles before they fell.

At a minimum, I'm thinking about switching tactics, maybe doing more melee - enchanting a Daedric Short Sword I found with moderate Fire Damage and maybe a 20 pts shield ring for 20 seconds. Use that and limit my summoning.

Maybe I should just restart the game? I hate to do that.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:15 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Another thought - has anyone ever retooled a character once they achieved a high level? Such as buying a misc skill such as Marksman from 5 to 40 and then focusing on that and leveling in non - Major / Minor skills? If my WillPower and Intelligence are already maxed out at level 21 then why or why not???
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:25 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Usually, when I get to a really high level, I just finish up the major quest I'm doing and restart. But I tend to create well balanced fighter/mage characters so it tends to remain fun for awhile.
I tried leveling up miscellanious skills for awhile then gave up. It wasn't really worth it to me, but it is a good way to keep your character going.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:00 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I bought 42 points towards Marksman but I can still barely hit anything. I can't go higher than 42 right now because of my Agility constraint. I'm trying my best to change strategy to make it more challenging so I'll keep at it - I'll grab "Bound Longbow" on my next Balorma visit.

For balance - last night I threw away my most powerful Summoning Ring - two bonewalkers and a Skeleton. I put it in the river for some Halfling to find some day...
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:35 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
For balance - last night I threw away my most powerful Summoning Ring - two bonewalkers and a Skeleton. I put it in the river for some Halfling to find some day...

Now, make some rings with lesser summoning enchantments, and then go around and give them to the leaders of each of the factions/houses/guilds.

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:42 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'd gladly give 3 to the Elven Kings in exchange for a decent bow!
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:54 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Be a good enemy and give one to Dagoth Ur to use when you fight him, he doesn't stand a chance without it anyway.
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:54 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by gdgrimm
quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002

Now, make some rings with lesser summoning enchantments, and then go around and give them to the leaders of each of the factions/houses/guilds.

And dont forget about the last living dwarf
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:47 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

And Vivic!
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 am
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

last living dwarf? does he have fingers? well i guess hes to fat to wear a ring anyway and dont even talk about using it lol ! Well what you could do when it gets too easy is get a bounty (how hard is that) of about 10 000 for stealing. Then get arrested and go to jail (u will lose lots of stuff) and then u lose a lot of lvls with ur skills. But when u do that u still remain ur normal lvls but u can still lvl up so u could also use this as a lvling cheat
U could also make rules for urself like i did. I may not use silt striders. I may not steal unless needed for quest. With some characters i may not use any form of magic (I found out a trick to get from one side of the country to the other side without using silt striders or mages or anything ! Just use 999 levitate ptions !!) But what u also could do is make a khajit kind of character which is a cat actually and is very scared of water for example. So u cant swim and when it rains u need to hide. U can also think of other kind of strange tic's ur character has which makes it more fun and balanced..... !
Hope those tips can help all of u to make the game more fun or else just have to wait for oblivion !
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:57 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I shalt not steal. I shalt not kill NPCs, unless it is some stupid jerk who deserves it. Those are two rules I tend to follow when it comes to roleplaying games. I think I've only found one character in any game that I hated so much I wanted to kill him. And it isn't this game.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:46 am
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

what did he do do you?
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:07 pm
King Ordinator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

todd ive hav 100 marksman and i sugest bow of shadows. btw i cant seem to find a daedric longbow. wer do u find them?
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:55 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

@Breton_mage: He was being irritable. Think Gothic 2, mercenary camp, asks you about killing a black troll, always calling you a wuss. Yeah, he was asking for a sword in the chest.
As for a bow, just keep adventuring, you'll get one eventually. They are kind of random.
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 pm
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yeah i found a longbow 1-50 with fire damage ! You could also enchant a bow with extra damage and maybe something like levitation or shield when used.... if you like to be invincible...
Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next