The Future of Massively Multiplayer Gaming @ GameSpy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

The Future of Massively Multiplayer Gaming @ GameSpy

GameSpy concludes its series of MM gaming articles with a <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/amdmmog/week8/" target="_blank">look</a> at the future of the genre.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:49 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I vehemently oppose certain developers who seem to think that I am going to buy in-game items with real money. That really makes the future look terrible, in my opinion. A certain few of those guys are morons. They dont have a high enough intelligence quotient to foresee emergent patterns like i can. (I foresaw this whole player-content thing months ago, and i have the posts on this board to prove it, if you doubt enough to search. But thats immaterial and beside the point.) I can tell you that if these games turn into real-world money sinks, with all the greed that developers can muster, along with the inherent corruption that attends every world (virtual or real) that the root of all evil spawns (money), i will QUIT playing them altogether and spend my money on single-player games for the foreseeable future. The few of these "mass-market" pipe-dreams make the rest of you look bad. And the not surprisingly, the games they worked on were failures in my book, such as Sims Online. Get a clue, developers. You CANNOT force to charge me $1.00 for a freaking virtual item. I can see the logic behind selling an account on e-bay or making these games more interactive; however, for the sake of sanity do NOT start a process that gives RICH PLAYERS the edge over everyone else that isnt stupid enough to buy your in-game items, lands, or money. I detest some of you for even mentioning it.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:58 pm
Munka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I vehemently oppose certain developers who seem to think that I am going to buy in-game items with real money. That really makes the future look terrible, in my opinion. A certain few of those guys are morons. They dont have a high enough intelligence quotient to foresee emergent patterns like i can. (I foresaw this whole player-content thing months ago, and i have the posts on this board to prove it, if you doubt enough to search. But thats immaterial and beside the point.) I can tell you that if these games turn into real-world money sinks, with all the greed that developers can muster, along with the inherent corruption that attends every world (virtual or real) that the root of all evil spawns (money), i will QUIT playing them altogether and spend my money on single-player games for the foreseeable future. The few of these "mass-market" pipe-dreams make the rest of you look bad. And the not surprisingly, the games they worked on were failures in my book, such as Sims Online. Get a clue, developers. You CANNOT force to charge me $1.00 for a freaking virtual item. I can see the logic behind selling an account on e-bay or making these games more interactive; however, for the sake of sanity do NOT start a process that gives RICH PLAYERS the edge over everyone else that isnt stupid enough to buy your in-game items, lands, or money. I detest some of you for even mentioning it.

I couldn't begin to agree with you more! Even in todays state of MMOG's I find little worth paying for. The idea of sinking more of my hard earned cash into a virtual world in order to aquire something or some sort of status is sickning. I'm almost scared to see what the future holds for MMOG's, I fear it's not a good thing and there is little we as paying customers can do about it.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:06 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I doubt it will succeed. When it does happen, players arent going to support it. We arent stupid and rich, thats for sure.

Dont let me discourage you though. Its not gonna happen because we wont let it happen. Whatever the future holds, its player-created content, not player-funded content. Thats just ridiculous. So be of good cheer.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:50 am