View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Arx 2 Wish List!

Hi all.

Since it's pretty much been stated that the folks at Arcane are working on a sequel to Arx, I thought that it might be a good time to get a thread going for players to make suggestions or propose improvements. Sort of an "Arx 2 Wish List".

Anyway, let me start off by saying that I think this is a great game! But, if I were to make a list of what I would like to see in Arx 2 it would go something like this:

1). I hate to say it but; fewer bugs that need patching. (Sorry guys).
2). More side quests. (Need to be able to get more XP's).
3). An additional way to improve your skills. Maybe "Training" for $??
4). Allow learned spells to be assigned to "Hot Keys" for quick casting.
5). Make quests more "Idiot Proof". Perhaps make key NPC's invulnerable
until after they've completed plot/quest critical actions.
6). Make it harder to "Break" quests by doing things/going places too early.
7). Allow more items to "Stack" in inventory.
8. Make shopkeeper chests "Expandable", so that if you sell them a bunch
of stuff, they'll still have room to buy more.
9). More enchantments for Weapons/Armor.
10). The ability to "Rest" or "Sleep" would be nice. (More immersive).

I'm sure I could think of more, but that would probably be my "Top Ten". Any other suggestions?
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:52 am
dave9
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Arx Fatalis 2 Wish List

YES MATE THEY PROBLEY WILL MAKE A FEW INPROVEMENTS AND MAY BE OPEN UP THE WORLD IN WHICH IT IS SET TO OPEN COUNTRY SIDE AND TOWNS AND VILLAGES CHEERS DAVE
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:03 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Arx 2 wishlist

I agree with the top ten you listed. The only way to play the game is to go to the walkthrough, or get messed up a lot and start over a few times. If there were something or someone you could got to for a clue, it would be nice. I tried four times before going to the walkthrough, there were so many things I did wrong and missed completely until it was too late. That is my one big complaint. I can live with a bug or two, even poor graphics and sound bites that are off sink at times ( as long as they don't make me loose info I need) but wandering around for hours thinking you are playing to a goal and then find out you have done nothing to help yourself, or worse, hindered yourself, is the end for me. If the walkthrough had not been at least a little vague, and left small details out for me to solve and find myself, I don't know if I would love the game as much as I do. I still cannnot wait for A2 to come out.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:00 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Aside from larger and longer, the only other thing I could add to the previous lists would be people who can identify objects for you, if your skill isn't high enough.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:36 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I'd like to remove the "make invulnerable" from your list.

A good RPG might make it hard to kill someone needed for the plot but should have proper ways around the person dying instead of making them invulnerable.

There should be more pointers talling you "hey you shouldn't be here" and/or "yes continue" so that people follow the flow of the game properly instead.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:29 am
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

* More/better particle effects. Make the world a little more dynamic.
* Secret quests...not really hidden, just not on the normal path, and not really hinted at. Reward the explorers more.
* One goal, many paths. Give us different ways to complete important quests.
* Different endings. Based on our choices throughout the game and especially towards the end, give us different endings to the story.
* Let us go, or at least see, outside!
* More weapons, or weapons that can be modified without hunting all over for a specific ingredient (IE at a blacksmith, make your blade thinner for a faster swing but less damage, sharpen it for better leather armor piercing but a decreased lifespan)
* Quests/secrets that are just for fun, or have little real value. Let us win a house, or dye our hair, or get a sword that glows bright red.
* Scary creatures or situations. Make us jump out of our seats once or twice (think Unreal, where all the lights go out and the Skaarj attacks you, or any part of Doom III)
* Dialogue trees that matter. The reason that Fallout and Fallout 2 are so well respected is because you can choose the path a conversation takes, and it actually affects the game, instead of you following one exact path with no choices.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:00 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The Skaarj never scared me...
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:28 pm
ekwhite
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Unbreakable NPC's

The way that Morrowind handles NPC's that are critical to the story is to give you a warning message when you kill and important NPC, so that you can go back to a previous save. That way, they don't have to be invulnerable, and you don't have to lose hours worth of play time because you found out that one of the characters you whacked is necessary for another quest.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:43 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

• No more "I'm hungry" I don't find it necessary to eat all the time. (Similar to Gothic.)

• As in Diablo II, with LOD expansion, make the satchel squares smaller to fit more items.

• More or add 'secret' areas for XP and special items along with the side quests.
  • Easier spell/rune access utilizing numbers 1 through 0 to permanently save spells (when used first) or just assign them and allow for the option to create.

• Allow utilization of the 'shift' key when removing items from your satchel instead of having to take the out 1 by 1. (I wanna cook all my fish at once for heavens sake and save some time!)

I will think of more I'm sure but that's what pops in my head presently.

Oh yes! one more in four words or less:

• "Prima's Official Strategy Guide"

~T
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:30 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

- Increase the number of character levels. I finshed at level 8, I think, which does not give you a lot of opportunity to grow your character.

- Dialogue trees

- less linear

- More information about skills! I originally intended to develop some thief skills but I didn't realise until too late that I hadn't applied enough points into certain skills and by then level advancement had nearly finished, so the points I'd put into those skills did nothing.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:52 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Oh yes! One more thing:

* Regenerating items with shopkeepers. For instance, food! potions, etc..
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:50 pm
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi everybody!

We're taking notes!
Please don't hesitate to tell us everything you'd like to see in a sequel..
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:28 pm
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Also i'd like to tell once again: there is no way you can break the main quest in Arx by killing a NPC.
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:31 pm
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

I would like to have more realistic ambient noise...

Also music could be nice.

When you get caught stealing, maybe have an option to go to jail or give the item back, instead of it just ruining the entire game, and having to reload (of course saving right before a pickpocket is always helpful).

Also when killing an innocent NPC, it would be appreciated if the guards didn't know about it unless they saw the crime.

*More Humor!*

Arrows with special abilities: poison, fire tipped, extra precision, etc..

Guards in small corridors always caused me problems. They would never get out of my way, and I couldn't really get past them. Please make non-hostile NPC's 'walk-throughable', or have them move immidiately out of your way instead of standing there, staring at you dumbly (asking for an axe to the head).
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:44 pm
WereCat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

and....

Played Divine Divinity? Sorry to say, but I found DD looads more fun and much more immersive than AF. AF has atmosphere and the crypts were intensely creepy, but DD had humour, a vast item system, easier to use spells (altho yes i do like the rune system too) and rather less breakable weapons (and quests!!!!) So... would like....

1 - Humour... funny characters and dialogue... the occasional quip behind your back as opposed to constant moaning about 'troll food'..

2 - A larger mini-map. The giant red triangle that embodies me takes up too much of the tiny tiny see through map.

3 - The ability to mark/make comments/make flags on the big map. That helped me LOADS in DD... being able to plop 'there is a funny wall here' rather than wandering around level after identical level looking for it later... so good...

4 - Charmable/Easier to enchant weapons, armor, etc. (see DD...)

5 - More variety in weapons and armor! I like the small number of armor slots (ie, no shoes, gloves, tattoos, eyebrow studs etc..) but only six or so types of chest armor in the whole game? And no variety in stats? Dull, and you always know exactly what you want...

6 - Lol, I have to say I love pie-making. Can I have a job pie-making? I could sooo do half an hour's pie-making to pay for 10 points in a skill level/training (as TheCleric suggested, rockin idea)

7 - Option to turn off character noise. Chain mail clinking is lovely, but very annoying after a while...

8 - Lol, fix Radeon and EAX support...

9 - Stackable items of varying durability! (If you can't stack all shields (as an example of a bulky object), fair enough. But if you can stack two shields of precisely the same #1/#2 durability, that's just lazy.)

10 - And of course all the ideas I above... more quests/XP, more funny/pointless people/quests, more places to go (*cough*outside*cough*), more monsters and items with more variety in stats etc etc)

11 - Oh and my favourite. Why are all the Guardian options MALE?
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next