Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The "Has Become an X2 Thread Despite Me" Thread.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Corwin-
The tutorial is tough. For one thing, they decided to make the instructions "key-generic"- instead of telling you to hit the "D key", they say hit the "auto-docking key". I understand that they wanted the tutorial to be valid even if someone remapped the controls, but I doubt someone with the experience to know they want to remap is going to be messing with the tutorial in the first place. It makes sense to target your tutorial for the people that know nothing (like me), which means telling them exactly what they need to do.

Add in the sketchy manual, and this game strikes me as Gothic's long-lost cousin-- disappointing manual that doesn't help much with the wonky interface, all obscuring a really good game. Dhruin told me a while back that the 200+ page manual was trimmed to the current 68 to control production costs, so I'm sure that adds to the confusion. I leaned on the immensely helpful Dhruin and the Egosoft boards to fill in the blanks.

And speaking of Gothic...
@Konny666- nice to see I'm not the only one that still has Gothic1 sitting on the shelf. I've decided to play it 3 different times and never managed to stick with it for some reason.

And finally, a little recruiting...
@Gig- NWN multiplayer. The NFG calls you. Join the cult. (for that matter, why haven't you stopped by, Konny666?)
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:51 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I've managed to complete 2 missions and make some money by buying Energy cells for 16 and selling for 22. I filled the hold of that carrier I was loaned for the second mission. I must say, the shift+D combo is very useful. Pity it wasn't in either the manual or the tutorial. Is there any shortcut to getting a ship actually into a hangar? The menu system is certainly clunky, though I have learned a couple of useful things that also weren't in either the manual or the tuts, like how to target your destination quickly and easily. I don't know how I'm going to cope if I ever have to fight and fly!!! I'm WAY too slow at getting around all the controlls.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:06 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You people are evil I tell you! All this talk was just too much temptation!

With apologies to Badger, I've bailed on HotU in the middle of chapter 3 and fired up a fresh start of X2. I think I'm at the same point as Corwin now.

@Corwin- once the voice starts welcoming you to the station, hit escape and you'll be put into a hangar instantly. You'll get better with the controls as you play more. "." to bring up the sector map is your best friend since it's a convenient portal to station and navigation info. Now that you have 2 ships to play with, "R" will be useful as well to issue orders and track the progress of whichever ship you aren't piloting.
Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:25 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

You paid 16 credits for energy? Gee, they say you coming. There are some hints/light spoilers in an X2 thread in AOT if anyone's interested.

The interface documentation issues are significant for new players and I can understand frustration with it. Just give a yell if I can help.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:59 am
corwin

Thanks for the heads up on docking Dte. Now WHY isn't that in either the manual, or the tuts?!! I've looked through that thread too Dhruin. I just think that the controls need to be better thought out and better documented. The first time I had to dock was a real pain. I also don't like how they fire you out on a mission without giving you the opportunity to save first, or even buy up..
Dhruin, 16 for energy was the BEST price I've seen so far in the game. Where do I get this insurance that lets me save anywhere!!

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:33 am
Dhruin

The keyboard shortcuts actually work pretty well once you get the hang of them - but yes, I agree the documentation is lacking.

The game automatically saves every time you enter a station, so there's always an autosave. You can can make your own manual saves while at a station, in addition to the autosave. The insurance can be bought at the Goner temple in Cloudbase Southwest (although I personally don't have it; I just dock at a nearby station when I feel the need to save).

Spoiler:
The lowest price for energy in a v1.2 game is 9cr - you should see that in sectors like The Wall where there are 5x Solar Power Plants. Apologies if I offended with my comment.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:28 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Yeah ok... My marker has lost its potency and so now I'm come down from my high and am depressed. Yes.. you've made me depressed. Yes I can't have the game and yes it's probably your fault.

Depressed Badger
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's not available where I live either, Sir Badger... that didn't stop me from ordering it over the internet, though. It should be in my greedy little paws in a few weeks... long enough to play through Gothic 2 like I've been meaning to.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Hiya all,

I heard my name mentioned and had to kick in a few thoughts... Gal Civ was fun, but grew old after a few playthroughs. It may have been updated since I last played, but being limited to human only was kinda tough.

Also, the games began to get that 'feels just like last game' thing going. So it got shelved ... but not before I enjoyed the heck out of it.

As to those old BBS door games, I lost my interest when my machine crashed and was down and out for about 15 days, when I got back on the system by formerly great empire had been dismembered by a bunch of no talent munchkins. I just could not see continuing it ... so I surrendered my remements to my ally (who actually tried to help out when I was AWOL!). Nice guy ... hope he won in the end.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:02 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Gaghghghgh!! Do pay attention at the back there Xen! Ordering would not be a problem. It's my specs that are the problem.

That said..... my magazine arrived this morning and guess what was on the demo disc? Only X2 that's all!

Well poor specs or not I had to try it right? So it might be a little syrupy, but at least I can see what you're on about now. I just finished the "basic" lesson ending with swapping ships.

Badger
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Heh. To paraphrase:

"Never quote me the specs."

By all accounts my computer should run Gothic 2 fairly crappily (1ghz processor, 9600 non-Pro Radeon, 512 MB SDRam, slow as hell hard drive) ... instead I can run through Khorinis with only the odd drop to FPS 1 for a split second. WITH x4 anti-aliasing active, even.

Star Wars Galaxies cruises at a balmy 14 fps!

I am content with anything higher than 10 on a regular basis, and I'm almost certain I can get X2 up to that.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:30 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Xen, I'm sorry because I'm sure I should already know this, but where are you? you mentioned that X2 is not avaliable yet where you are.

If it's the UK, then I've just found the demo on this months "PC Zone" (though I normally get "PC Gamer") So if we're both in Blighty, get out there and buy a copy before you import the big box.

Badger
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Well, I've come to the conclusion that X2 is not available in Halifax anywhere. So maybe I'll draw an X on a white piece of paper and sniff it...
@Badger- Xen's a proud resident of the "Great White North", Land of the Maple Leaf, Birthplace of Hockey...

Oh Canada!
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:56 pm
corwin

Our Home and native land. True Patriot Love in all our sons command...... Grew up there didn't I, and you never forget!!

Last edited by corwin on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Ahh

We have a Halifax you see. Actually it's not far from here.

Oh well, I'm off now to lower the resolution on my "X2" demo to see if I can live with it a little better.

Night all

Badger
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:13 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next