Torsten (Piranha Bytes)
Lord of Gothic
Lord of Gothic

Auf gothic.gOmp.net liegt das Mod Kit

http://gothic.gOmp.net

You can find the Mod Kit at gothic.gOmp.net
Post Fri Jul 27, 2001 1:58 pm
Garrett

kewl - finally the mod tool for Gothic - but I fear it is gonna take me some time to get into it...
Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:18 am
Torsten (Piranha Bytes)
Lord of Gothic
Lord of Gothic

Naaaa. Took me half an hour

Torsten
Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 11:56 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

*cough cough* English demo *cough cough*
Post Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:24 am
Garrett

half an hour? so i will look into it 2nite
*cough* English publisher
Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:05 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I'll publish it! I am English. Not necessarily a "Publisher" per say. But I have a CD Burner with 90 blanks sitting here! Gimme a shot! I can do it!

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:36 am
Bourrie
Village Leader
Village Leader

Another possibility is to buy the German version and ask if they'll patch it into the English version as they have already the translated files.

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:46 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It is sad that it becomes so har to find a publisher. MMORPGs die because they don't find one nor do they find funding. RPG's are having a hard time, but not only RPG's.
Publishers are needed. Publishers are powerful. I wonder if the same things happen like they happened in the music industry: Publishers (aka record companies) dictating how things will go. As a developer, you can't do without a publisher, since you need to get your thingie out into the retail channels, because publishers have the money to fund advertising and PR. They even have the money to fund further development of other games. Publishers know about the power they have, and they rightfully use it. And they have the right to decide which games they would like to publish. There's nothing wrong with that.

Are there alternatives? I don't think so. DIY marketing just doesn't work. Marketing on the net only doesn't work either. Even if a lot of developers come together to publish their games with their own, newly founded publisher (that will keep only a smaller part of the profit, reinvesting the rest into new developments), this won't work - because you need a lot of money upfront, and its so hard to find investors nowadays.

If I were a publsiher and if i had enough money and infrastructure, I would take Gothic and publish it , no doubt. I know this game would be a winner. It would be one of the best selling RPG's, if marketing is done right. Why? Because the product is right. In its current version, Gothic is very stable and bug free. It is what Ultima Ascension promised to be. Why these difficulties to get it published? I don't know.

What i know: the release of the mod kit was a clever move by Piranha Bytes, and I think they did that with an eye on the marketability of the game. Mods keep up the interest for a game, they raise its net worth. I think that Gothic sold remarkably well in Germany, since it's still at the retailers for full price. One can only hope international publishers can reckognize the value of this game...

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:02 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

A third thing that could be done... Some ingenuitive German speaking individual could use the mod kit to make the English version! Sell the mod kit for a couple of bucks and make out like a bandit!

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:21 pm
Garrett

@Rend: Nice thoughts our of a great mind! I agree with you!

@Stiletto: Clever idea...I just doubt that PB would like to see that - just wait a little more, I am confident there will be a publisher!!!
Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:10 pm

It is sure easy for you to tell us to wait. You have already played it. <: Some of us are still having a hard time figuring out what "Ich bein Diego" means! Besides, if someone could make the English translation version using the Mod Kit before PB can release the English version, they deserve it.
Post Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:48 am

Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Hrm, that was me. Must have fogotten to put in my password! <:

Post Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:49 am
Garrett

'Ich bein Diego' should be 'Ich bin Diego' and simply means 'I am Diego'.
Patience, my friends, you don't want to ruin PB earnings by hacking an english version. In worst case, we might not see any sequel, if the English version sells low...
Post Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:49 pm
Garrett

ps: the english version seems to be quite ready, it simply seems to be too hard to find a publisher these days - and that's something you wouldn't want to punish PB for, do you?

Hey, why not use the mod tool and remake Ultima 9?
Post Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:52 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I don't think it's as simple as you state it Rend. I think that from a publishers point of view he (or she ) gives money to a bunch of people that hopefully will produce a game that might be a hit. So in order to secure their investment they want influence in the game.
From the developers point of view they need money to create this awesome game with all these nifty new features that they are sure of everybody will love.

So here comes the publisher with some ideas the developer doesn't like or the other way around. What should the developers choose? A new publisher?, give in to the publishers desires?
The publisher has a right to secure their money.

But Gothic is such a great game you say? How can this go wrong? Well here is a small bit from the BIS boards on the problems at Interplay by a BIS team member:
quote:
Hmm. I don't know. Maybe if you read PC Data sales figures for some of Interplay's other dozens of titles, you could find revealing information. Despite getting spectacular reviews, Sacrifice didn't sell very well. Despite getting spectacular reviews, MDK2 didn't sell very well. Despite getting spectacular reviews, Descent 3 didn't sell very well. It's a shame that those titles didn't sell better, because they all were really polished, innovative titles that took a significant amount of time to develop. Black Isle is part of Interplay, but it is by no means all of Interplay.
Games that people were sure of would be great turned out not to sell. Hence the problems a publisher has to face. A great game does not automatically translate into great sales.

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next