need help in installing wizardry 8
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
smcg4
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

need help in installing wizardry 8

hello all, just got the game but having trouble installing...on the second disc i keep getting that 117 error that will not let me proceed to install...i try to install it manually but there is a data file on disc one that is the same as disc two...i also can't even copy the 2nd cd onto a folder because of some ms-dos error so if anyone could help i would very much appreciate it. ...(try to make it simple to...my computer skills are alittle lacking) thanks
Post Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:46 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The "files" being overwritten are just the directory folders. Don't worry about it and just overwrite the directories or copy over the individual files in the directory.
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:51 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You got MSDOS error? You are doing it in MSDOS?
If you mean that you get some kind of "can't copy, the file seems to be corrupted" message, you probably got corrupted CD. Try simply copy your files into any folder you want. This way you'll know if the CDs are or are not corrupted.

And report back for futher info.
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:42 am
smcg4
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

help in installing

thank you both for the quick replys...and yes i tried to install it again manually copy the 1st cd onto the second...the 1st cd gets copied fine and with almost 15 seconds to go in copying the second one i get and Error coping file or folder....error message says...Cannot copy SOUND: Invalid MS-DOS function...even when i tried to copy the 2nd cd onto its own folder i get the same error..
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:01 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It could be corrupted CD. The message is however quite strange.
So rather once more: are you trying to copy all files from 2nd CD to some (any) folder on your harddisk and you get message "Cannot copy SOUND: Invalid MS-DOS function"? The message "Invalid MS-DOS function" is really strange.
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:03 pm
smcg4
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yes...first i tried to copy it into the same folder that i copied the first cd in....got the error message...then i tried to copy it by itself in a different folder and still got the same error message
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:46 pm
smcg4
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i tried to copy the 2nd cd onto it's own folder in an older computer of mine and i got somewhat the same error message....Cannot copy Sound: Windows is unable to fide the file. This item might have been already been deleted or moved. Im not sure if this helps at all....my feeling is something wrong with the cd....ive never come across this problem with any game ive ever installed before.
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:48 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it really seems that the 2nd CD is corrupted.
If I were you I would try to return it and get new copy. I hope you'll be more lucky with the next one.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 am
smcg4
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yes the 2nd cd was corrupted...returned it and had to go to another gamestop 15 miles away... had one copy left. I had no problem installing that one so the mystery is finally solved...just wished it had a "written" manual..guess ill just print some of it out for now....thank you again for all your help , i really appreciate it.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:25 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Good to see you're up and running!

The manual is one of the most enjoyable ones I've seen. A rare sense of humor... If you want to save some paper, here's the sections I'd think you'd want to have hard copy of:

Attribute bonus point table
Appendix 1B- spell lists by spell book

The controls are pretty intuitive, so you could probably figure it out on your own if you want. Probably wouldn't hurt to read the section on combat, but I don't think you'd need to print it out.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:37 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nice to hear that, I hope you'll enjoy this game.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:18 am