Members
Usergroups
Best vid card for Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Jellyfish

Best vid card for Morrowind

Hi everyone, I am wondering which video card to get in my new system... I know there is better cards I could get, but I am getting my machine through work, so I will get it a lot cheaper, and these are the best video cards they have. I figure I can always upgrade the card later.

AOpen 128MB GeForce 3 Ti200

or
S-Media GeForce 4 MX440 64MB DDR AGP

Incidentally the rest of the system will be...

MSI K7T Turbo 2 LE KT133A 266MHz Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ CPU
256 MB - 168 pin, DDR RAM PC2100 266MHz (or maybe 512)
IBM 40GB IDE, 7200 RPM, ATA100, 2MB Buffer
Sound Blaster Live Value Ed PCI 256 PnP Sound Card
AOpen IDE 40x Read 24x Write 10x ReWriteable Kit. - OEM

cheers
Brad
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:30 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Close call. The 4 MX is in fact not really much faster than the 3 Ti 200. Maybe wait for the 4 Ti 4200 - this will be a lot more bang for the buck.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:32 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I second what Rendelius says. If you must get it now, get the GF3. The GF4 MX series are just souped up GF2s(new AA engine, newest memory architechture). They don't even have full DX8 hardware support meaning you won't see Pixel Shaded water in Morrowind.

If you can wait, get the Ti4200(which is basically a souped up GF3 ). You won't have to wait long as they should be appearing in stores anytime now.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:38 am
Jellyfish

Thanks for the info guys, I won't be getting it till Early July so hopefully they will have the Ti's by then
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:47 am

Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Don't overlook the Radeon 8500. Mine runs smooth and fast with 2xAA and 16xAF. the GF4 4200 will probbaly be better in terms of raw speed (not by much), but NVidia's image quality doesn't even come close.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 12:43 pm
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Aramas
but NVidia's image quality doesn't even come close.

That`s not exactly true. I am of the opinion (and many people in some other forum dealing with 'onions' agree), that with enabled digital vibrance, the IQ of GF cards gets improved alot.

Radeon IQ: 10 out of 10
GF3 IQ w/o DV: 7/10
GF3 w DV: 9/10
Post Fri May 17, 2002 1:12 pm
rascalmanny

vid card

Of those two -- go for the GF3 Ti 200. But personally with that system I would get a GF4 Ti 4400. Yes it will be a little more money, but you will get a lot more milleage out of it with out having to ugrade too soon.

Of course that depends on what kind of deal you are getting on that vid card at your work.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 2:28 pm

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

By july the picture will have changed again. Such is the way of computer hardware. The gf4 mx is a lost cause. Get the ti 4200. You can clock it up to near 4600 speed anyhow. I have had bad experience with the radeons and drivers and black screens of death, so I don't like them.

As far as image quality, there is a mod you can do to the nvidia cards that bypass the low pass filter. I did it to my card and the Image quality is better than anything out there.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 3:26 pm
Radix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have a very similar setup to jellyfish (except I have an XP1600+ and 512 MB RAM) and I just upgraded from a Geforce2 Pro 64 to a Gainward Geforce4 4200 64. Let me tell you, I thought MW ran great with the G2 but the G4 BLOWS IT AWAY. I can run 1600x1200 with full shadows and AI and pixel shading and I get 30+ fps outside and 80+ fps indoors and that is no exaggeration.

I highly recommend 512 MB RAM as well as that improves load times a great deal. I used to have 256 and there is a difference with more RAM. My 3DMarkSE score went from 4213 to a whopping 8756 after the upgrades.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 3:40 pm
Tamil

I did not see in your post what OS you are running. If it is XP, please be aware that Nvidia cards are having a problem with XP+VIA chipset that is leading to Infinite Loop BSOD's. As a result, I went with a Radeon 8500 128 DDR. It runs the game well and i am very happy with it. For more information on the Infinite loop problem, go to www.viaarena.com. Select support forums and go to the board for XP help and support.

Mike
Post Fri May 17, 2002 5:52 pm