Usergroups
Gothic 2: post your first impression here
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

damn i am gonna get crazzy if i cant play it really for real!!! HOW THE DAMN I COULD GET IT LOLOLOL
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, I installed the game about 35 minutes ago, and everything went just fine. No bugs or crashes so far, just a few clipping issues as with most games... the water is very pretty (waterfalls less so - the best waterfalls were in the old Unreal so far), combat is way smoother than it was in Gothic I, even though the enemies became a tad better and I kept my controls the way they were in GI. It took me just a few moments to get into this certain 'Gothic' atmosphere again... in short: nice start.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:16 pm
Master Mage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yall are making me cry i cant wait till MARCH 2033!!!!!!
And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouthto recieve thy brother's blood from thy hand. When thou tillist the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength. A fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth ... and whoever slayeth thee, vengeance shall be taken on thou seven-fold
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:56 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by darkmage
if the english version does not come out soon im going to go insaine oh and i have one question, are their robes or cloaks that actually wave on your back( like in baldures gate one) and can you wear a hood, im trying to go for the evil mage in black look, and are their staffes??? thanxs

oooo id like to go 4 that dark, black, gothic look too
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:45 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

need gothic 2...now...english...german bad...reality worse...HELP!
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:47 am
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Master Mage
yall are making me cry i cant wait till MARCH 2033!!!!!!

its coming out in 2033. how can i wait that long???
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:47 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I'm gone be dead by that time
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:55 pm
iofushi
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i dont have it as i live in the US. but i have seen the picks and heard alot about it. i find it to be good.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:45 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Just got the game tonight, here are my first impressions:
Installation - smooth, no problems
Intro. Ok, fairly well done but I doubt someone who has not played part one will understand what is shown.
Graphics: severely improved - textures are crisper, colors are more varied and more intense. Especially the outdoors is very nicely done, the woods are full of underbrush (leads to some clipping naturally, but not bad), that make it hard to see those wolves slinking about etc. Vegetation is moving in the wind (Not always totally convincing but a nice touch nevertheless). The feel of the terrain is very true to the last game, same rugged beauty. Models still a little blockier than e.g. morrowind, but varied and interesting. They do take their toll though. I was able to run Gothic I maxed out with excellent framerates, but I do have to take view distance and resolution down a couple of steps to avoid severe framerate drops in some areas (AMD XP 1800+, 512 MB, Geforce4 TI4400). It looks very good at these settings so thats not much of a problem for me.
Sound: Very atmospheric, better than the original. nice touches like cracking twigs in the forest when you step on them etc, disinct sounds for different places night and day. The sheep sound a little timid though
Interface: tried and true, you will feel immediately at home if you have played through Gothic, its just been streamlined a little. You need to be careful now in the barter screen, everything you select is immediately sold or bought.
Gameplay: Hasnt changed much from Gothic, which is mostly a good thing. Voice acting is still excellent. I still miss more items in the world being interactive, here Gothic II could have taken a few cues from Morrowind (e.g. there are bookstands you can use, and others you can't - you can use the hearth to fry meat, but not a campfire). On the other hand the scripted NPC behavior is still unsurpassed and makes you feel "right there". I haven't done many quests yet, but there seems to be lot of side quests to do, and the mechanics are similar to the first game. Already have been mugged and robbed - made me feel right at home . I cant comment much on the story yet, but it seems interesting enough.

In conclusion I would say the game is not a revoutionary step ahead from the first game, but consequently improved in many areas - Since Gothic was one of my favorite RPGs ever this looks like a more than worthy successor. Its looking very promising.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:01 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Here are my first impressions after a few (very few ) hours:

graphics:
Improved.

(game) interface:
Much better. Even faster but more conventional. Nevertheless still some small annoyances.

(combat) interface:
The new 'single-click interface' is intuitive. IMO worse than the old one, but definitely intuitive.

(more) interface:
-optional quicksave & -load
-optional quick potions
-strafing

combat:
Somewhat faster.

magic:
Spells react immediately. No 'loading' necessary.

world:
Even more immersive. Incredible attention to details. Compared to Gothic II G1 looks like a desert.
When I walked through the woods in a hidden valley at night I could hardly look 5 meters ahead. With a torch!
(Okay, I took this as an excuse to readjust the Gamma. )

difficulty:
Not sure yet. Gothic II is either more difficult or the pace is different.

music:
Once again very good.

voice acting:
Better.

frame rate:
15 to 90 fps depending on location. 1024*768*32 and everything @max on an XP2100+, 512 MB, Radeon 8500, WinXP. Always playable but I think IŽll have to lower a few options.

The game 'feels' even better than Gothic. Looks like game of the year material so far.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:29 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
.... 1024*768*32 and everything @max on an XP2100+, 512 MB, Radeon 8500, WinXP. Always playable but I think IŽll have to lower a few options...

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
.... I do have to take view distance and resolution down a couple of steps to avoid severe framerate drops in some areas (AMD XP 1800+, 512 MB, Geforce4 TI4400). ...

That seem like to be a bad news for many players with medium and low end system. Only hardcore gamers will always keep they computer with top performance components. And as the posts shown above, the game stuttering even at relatively high-end systems. Looks like a lot of people will have to satisfy with "not so glory" settings when playing Gothic 2. It would also limit the sales of the game to many peoples as possible...
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:07 am
darkmage
City Guard
City Guard

damn so their isnt going to be like a cloak that waves behind you as you run, if not can you still get those cool evil necromancer robes? oh and one more thing, when you kill a guy can you take his armor.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:58 am
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Benchmark?

I wonder if anyone fancies creating a couple of save games, in high and low framerate spots, and making them available for download. Then people with differnt hardware configs could load them and check framerates immediately, letting us build up a picture of whats most important for decent framerates.

Not a perfect method, but interesting.

Or am I just filling time, because I dont have a copy of the game yet

A.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:52 pm
Green Chili
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Benchmark?

quote:
Originally posted by Alistair
Or am I just filling time, because I dont have a copy of the game yet

Hmmm... yes, you are!
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:56 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Come on someone. POst your impresions. I now that you are bussy playing g2, but I'm living thanks to these posts
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next