View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Garon
I'm not surprised that it went over your head, Llama, but I'm sort of bored with talking with you.

Since you didn't respond, Garon, I presume my comment against what you said went over your head ?!?!?!
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:28 pm

Re: car analogy

quote:
Originally posted by bman

I could be wrong, are any of the people disappointed in MW software developers?

I think the coding was really well done. I am just disappointed that they made a teeny bopper instead of a darker RPG.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:41 pm

Garon

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Llama

It's always funny when someone doesn't have any type of response to what is being discussed so they just throw some garbage out into the thread.

I'm not surprised that it went over your head, Llama, but I'm sort of bored with talking with you.

If someone else wants to explain it to you, though, I won't mind.

See ya,
Garon

I'm sorry, Llama. I shouldn't have said that.

Garon
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:57 pm

Garon

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
quote:

Since you didn't respond, Garon, I presume my comment against what you said went over your head ?!?!?!

I just like cars. How would you like for me to respond?

Garon
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:00 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I'm sorry, Llama. I shouldn't have said that.

Umm... Ok...
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:53 am
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, the car analogy is OK, but doesn't really fit this game.

If I had to compare MW with an imaginary car, it'd have the body of a Ferrari F-80, but inside it would have the interior of a 1985 Toyota Corolla, AM radio, the handling of Suzuki Samarai (i.e. tips over and CRASHES), and a severely over-stressed two-cycle engine putting out about 3 horsepower and getting 5 MPG (FPS).

OK, I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get my point. What you described in a car is of course impossible. What we were hoping for in MW is NOT impossible, as it's been done with other games. The only difference is the graphics, which if Bethesda had any sense, would have been handled by a completely different crew than the story scripting anyway.

Yeah, the size has an effect on what the programmers can do, but only in the sense that it takes more time to program it, not because there is some technological barrier that they hit at a certain point. Why not two CDs, one for installation and one for certain quests, extra audio (and MUSIC) and a few more cut-scenes? I'll repeat what's been said many times - What we were hoping for (dynamic NPCs, quests) HAS BEEN DONE before! So don't say we're asking for the impossible.

It just seems that they spent the majority of the dev time on the graphics, and then realized "holy shit, we've got two months before the release!". I don't think it's a stretch to say that the developers were under a tight time limit towards the end to get it out and on the shelves. My gut tells me that they had planned on adding all the stuff that we're asking for, but when it came down to the wire, there was a mad rush to freeze or completely remove everything that wasn't done and get it out. For example: Why are there blank pieces of paper scattered all over the place in boxes, on tables, etc.? What purpose could they possibly serve? Could it be that we were to use those for jotting down our own notes? Could they have served some other purpose? I don't know, but the journal is a disaster, and my den is littered with notes.

Look, I truly and honestly don't mean to put people down who like the game. I like it to certain extent. If you're starting off and love what you've seen so far, don't let me or anyone else talk you into giving up. I have no desire to "convince" everyone that this is a bad game. I've got no stake in it whatsoever. But I'm getting tired of people claiming that some of us are nuts for expecting too much. The only limit that the developers had was time, not technology. They just didn't properly allocate that time.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:03 am
Garon

Joey999,

I really hate to bicker about a lighthearted, somewhat whimsical analogy, but most, if not all, of the features of my dream car have been implemented in some car today. But I really don't want to dwell on it much; no analogy is perfect, and I wrote this one mainly because it seemed funny to me and at least somewhat appropriate. Maybe I have an odd sense of humor.

In truth, if you can tell me a game with as large a world as MW, open ended gameplay, very nice graphics, an expansive backstory that makes the world seem real, a skill based advancement system that doesn't depend on experience points, MWs flexibility in character choice, and has all the wonderful features that Joey Nipps has mentioned (and no doubt, they are wonderful), I will immediately quit playing MW, buy the game you name, and play it for a long time. That would be my dream game.

Regards,
Garon
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:03 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
But I really don't want to dwell on it much; no analogy is perfect, and I wrote this one mainly because it seemed funny to me and at least somewhat appropriate.

And it was funny and appropriate, at least for me.
I like when someone steps into this debate with something original and new :].
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:14 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Joey999,

I really hate to bicker about a lighthearted, somewhat whimsical analogy, but most, if not all, of the features of my dream car have been implemented in some car today. But I really don't want to dwell on it much; no analogy is perfect, and I wrote this one mainly because it seemed funny to me and at least somewhat appropriate. Maybe I have an odd sense of humor.

Garon, please understand that I also enjoy a bit of humor interjected into serious discussions. However, in this case what you have said detracts from the heart of the discussion. In point of fact, no, most of the features (at least the primary ones) have NOT appeared in a market released automobile. For instance, name ONE automobile that flies without wings.

For instance, having an automobile that is extremely fast (per your stats) AND extremely large (by your stats) by today's technology are diametrically opposed to each other from a design and production point of view. In other words, they CANNOT be done - the bigger you make it the slower it must accelerate (again using today's propulsion accepted propulsion technologies).

However, (in the case of a CRPG) having well written NPC scripting (or any of the other things that have been mentioned) is NOT diametrically opposed (not opposed at all) to the any of the other features in the game. Again, this is supported by the fact that other games HAVE accomplished these very things. All that having all of these features in one game MIGHT mean is that the cost will go up and time to produce MIGHT go up - but those are marketing and sales issues only.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:09 am
Garon

quote:

In point of fact, no, most of the features (at least the primary ones) have NOT appeared in a market released automobile. For instance, name ONE automobile that flies without wings.

Well, I did say that the technology wasn't quite there yet with the flying thing. But I do recall those hovercrafts being a big buzz with the elites a few years ago. . . float on a cushion of air, really big bucks. Prince, or someone, either bought one or wanted to.

I will invite you to do the same thing I invited Joey999 to do. Tell me of my dream game, and I will quite playing MW, buy it, and you won't hear from me again. Guaranteed. It does need to have all those features I mentioned, though. Only half or two-thirds won't do, though, because all of them have been implemented on other games, and they are not mutually exclusive.

Enjoy your argument.

Garon
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:20 pm

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
quote:

In point of fact, no, most of the features (at least the primary ones) have NOT appeared in a market released automobile. For instance, name ONE automobile that flies without wings.

Well, I did say that the technology wasn't quite there yet with the flying thing. But I do recall those hovercrafts being a big buzz with the elites a few years ago. . . float on a cushion of air, really big bucks. Prince, or someone, either bought one or wanted to.

If this weren't so sad it would be laughable. A pathetic attempt at best.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:41 pm
EPKJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Different Strokes?

I am very tired of this "different strokes" argument being brought forth every single time any game is criticized. It is a nonsensical, illogical argument which is intellectually dishonest. Objectively, Morrowind becomes tedious at a certain point. I am currently 69th level, and have attained the highest rank in Great House Redoran, Mage's Guild, and Fighter's Guild. I think that this should dispel any notion that I lack patience and focus. The game for me has become boring, just as Daggerfall became boring at a certain point. I am so powerful that I can kill anything without any serious risk of harm to myself. There is no challenge. I zip through Daedric Ruins at an incredible pace. This is not my opinion, it is a fact. When a game offers no further challenges, it is a fact, not an opinion, that it becomes boring. Morrowind lacks depth and is very repititious. What fans of the game call freedom, is actually lack of plot. To praise Morrowind for this is to suggest that a play would be better if it had no end, and just allowed actors to repeat dialog over and over again. Even Henry V's Agincourt speech would become tedious after multiple repetitions. So, please allow this discussion to proceed with complete honesty. I enjoy Morrowind despite it becoming tedious because I enjoy accomplishing goals and optimizing my character. I do not enjoy the tedious dialog and boring plot. No rational man would do so.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:43 pm

Are you people really this idiotic or is this a parody of how video game geeks act when scorned?? Tired of the different strokes argument? So one side is wrong and the other is right? What a moron. It's tedius for me thus tedius for everyone.

You have lost the right to post. Move on.

By the way, I'm right and you're wrong. Face it, no rational person would disagree.

Nipps? You've used up your $40 dollars of worth of useless whining that buying Morrowind entitled you to. Either by another copy or move on.

[waiting breathlessly for indignant posts saying that they can keep posting if they want to. True, but trust me, for your sakes you should stop.]

OR you can keep repeating yourselves endlessly. I don't care, it will entertain me either way.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:35 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Guest

You are turning this discussion into something I will not tolerate here!
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Captain Kidd

Then why don't you lock this thread too. You have already locked this thread once and then unlocked it admitting you "made a mistake". Since you "will not tolerate" this thread again, why not just lock it again.

You can always unlock it again after the tantrum has passed.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next