FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ranged/Magic to weak vs Melee?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread

Ranged/Magic to weak vs Melee?

i Found that only with a flame thrower, mini gun, grenade launcher or super super bows ranged could match with Melee. Also magic didnt really do as much damage as melee. So why wouldnt u use 8 melee people? (Kick out that stupid mule anyway, if you do everything right you dont need it)
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:21 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it is surely possibility. You will probably lack some healing mage and some areas will be very difficult (without ranged attacks you need to go long way to your enemies sometime (when they are on other side of something and have ranged weapons or magics attacks).
But when then will come normal areas with easy access to enemies, you will be most powerful.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:15 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

looks like we need some balancing stuff going on...
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:42 pm
TheSmJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I used to think this too (my main character is an archer) but once his' and my mage's skill levels went up, they made more and more of an effect on the outcome of a battle.

Archers and mages are very usefull in the dvarven mines, and other such places. On the lower levels (of the mine) in the rooms where there were the moving platforms/elevators, you could clear out an area (such as all the scorps.) without putting your own party in danger. I have found this to be very usefull.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:21 pm
timmothy1967
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i used 3 healers, 3 melee, and 1 archer and then my main guy was archer, melee. Most of the time i would fight by myself and let my mages heal me.
unless numbers were way too many. It helped to build my stats. I finished with 58 melee skill and 53 archer skill.

Last edited by timmothy1967 on Thu May 02, 2002 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 01, 2002 8:11 am
HubaHuba

i think its not really the best way, but a usefull way. When i was at the goblin cave i had almost all melee and a few ranged/magic. But then i picked up a few of those grenade launchers, and voila 1 shot almost ment 1 lvl ranged for my melee guys. That way i ended up with a few 50 melee 50 ranged guys, but at the end the full melee guys did more dmg anyway
Post Wed May 01, 2002 10:13 am

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Weapon speed must also be taken into account when you comparing damage. Its often much better to have weapons with lower damage rating and "fast" attack speed than higher damage rating and "slow" attack speed.

The same thing is to say about spellcasting! A fireshot/ball is shot much more often than Ex an Iceshart but do less damage!
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:29 pm