Low frame rates with GeForce-4 4600ti
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Firebirdtech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Low frame rates with GeForce-4 4600ti

I have a AthlonXP 1600 system with 512 MB PC2100 DDR the motherboard is a Epox8KHA+ "VIA266a chipset" and a brand-new Leadtek GeForce-4 4600ti video card with 128 MB of 3.3 ns DDR. I am receiving rather low frame rates and especially in town's at 1152x864 32bit color and was wondering if anybody else with a similar system was having the same problem? I am quite familiar with computer hardware and software I have all of the latest drivers "VIA 4in1 4.43" and 40.41 detonator xp drivers,and a fresh install of WindowsXP professional. All other games I play run great and high-resolution IL 2 sturmovik, Never Winter Nights and Ghost recon. And my 3-D mark is 10,152. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:40 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

What do you call low frame rates?

Unfortunately it's quite common to get ~10-15 fps (in certain areas) even with quite powerful hardware. There's a large body of discussion that has argued why and tips to get the best configuration but basically Morrowind doesn't produce frame rates that compare to standard shooters. It's also quite CPU intensive.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:55 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

try out the MW tweak guide at tweaktown.com.
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=316

i heard Provis (forum member here) said with Radeon 9700 the game still won't goes any faster. Well, i guess MW is not First person Shooter ...
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:16 pm
Firebirdtech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tweaktown.com is a great site thinks for the link! I edited my Morrowind ini. file "SHOWFPS=1" and this shows the frames per second in the lower right corner. I get around 25to30 in the wilderness and 12to18 in town. At least I'm not the only one getting low FPS. It must be all of those high polygon count textures that are killing the FPS. I turned my viewable distance slider down about midway and doubled my FPS and the game still looks great. Thanks for the feedback
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:12 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here's what I posted in another thread.
quote:
Morrowind FPS with Radeon 9700 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF
Half AI Distance
Half View Distance
Half Real Time Shadows

Indoors = 100-75
Vivec = 25-30
Balmora = 15-20

I do get alot of lag when I change cells, but that's due to my ancient hard drive.

Not as good as I hoped for this card but I didn't tweak the settings any but it's definately playable . I can also get about 5 fps better in Balmora if I lower resolution. I probably could lower the AA to 2x since I'm running at 1600x1200 to increase the FPS some more.

EDIT: Ohh yea, I forgot
WinXP Pro SP1
Athlon XP 2100+
256 Megs PC2700 DDRRAM

12250 3dmarks.

I haven't done any tweaking or anything at that time.

First thing I'd ask is, do you have AA and/or AF on? If so try turning them off.

You can up the resolution to 16x12, to counter the loss of AA, if your monitor supports it as uping the res doesn't seem to have much effect on framerate.

finally, don't expect FPS FPS ( that's first person shooter frame per seconds) in this game unless you have a MONSTER system(like a AthlonXP 2200+ overclocked using a Peltier cooler to like 3200+ with a Radeon 9700 Pro overclocked to like 400/720 and 3 gig of PC3200(?) DDRRam;))

EDIT: A little update.
I turned down AA to 2x and tweaked the game settings a little more and now I'm getting 25-30 FPS in Balmora.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:48 am
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I get 15-20 fps with quite old hardware.
GeForce 2 MX Pro 64 meg
intel celeron 700 mhz
384 megs ram
So, I consider myself lucky.

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:47 am
kalniel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pixel shaded water is a killer.

I used to get great rates with 2x AA, full view distance etc on my gf2 ultra. When I got a gf3 ti500, and turned pixel shaded water on, my framerate collapsed. Different cards seem better at different things - the gf2 struggled with shadows, but they don't seem to affect framerate with the gf3. AA however takes more of a hit with the gf3 than it did with the gf2.

Incidentally I think the game looks better with just 2x AA, other methods (4x, quincux etc) make the textures too blurry for me.
But anyway, lowish framerates in cities is just a fact. It does't really affect anything as you don't really need precision response in this game. I'd concentrate on getting the best balance of things you want. I recommend full draw distance, and a few shadows, but full shadows isn't needed, or antialiasing past about 2x.
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:08 pm
Ral-Jiktar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My CPU is killer

AMD Athalon XP 2100+
Geforce 4 TI4600
768 MB of DDRram

I get about 10 to 20 FPS with
Pixel Shading, AA4+, trileniar filtering, Texture sharpening.

Morrowinds engine if pretty slow, But iwould rather have a slow game thatn a fast game that takes 30Min to load a map, Morrowind only take .5 Min to load a map, compared to UT2003 which is abotu 2 min.

www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ral-jiktar
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:22 am
karetsos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some more statistics

I have a Athlon 1700+/512 SDRAM, 7200 rpm HDD, Win XP Pro, Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB, SB Live 5.1.
I bought a new 19" monitor which can support up to 1600x1200 with acceptable refresh rates.
Unforunately the game is unplayble over 800x600, with AI, Shadows etc set to none and viewing distance at 25%.
I tweaked my pc, only to gain about 2-3 fps.
I can't afford a new VGA, so i made some tests with memory
I found out that when playing with 256 mb (either SDRAM/DRR) the game is unplayble. With 512 MB i get 12-18 fps in Balmora at least and the loading times are very small.
Next step is trying with more ram.... or maybe a new cpu
And a question: DO you think that with an ATI 9000 Pro i could see some difference?
Post Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:18 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

no don't get a Radeon 9000 Pro, they suck. get a Geforce Ti 4200 128MB. you can get one for only 140 dollars. check this out: http://www.maincomp.com/shop/product.jsp?id=138
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:08 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Based on your system configuration, all the hardware component is very good enough for Morrowind - EXCEPT the GF2 MX 400. IT performance certainly lower than GF3, even difficult to compete with normal GF2 version (without the "MX"). If you want to upgrape get the GF4 as suggested by Gish.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:15 pm
karetsos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the replay

well i know that my vga card is nothing special, buy the fact is that i do not play any other games, just Morrowind, so i don't think i should spent all that money on a GF4, especially here in Grece where these cards are still quite expensive. ANyway i tried this utility, the Morrowind FPS Optimiser that is quite helpfull. And of course i stopped visiting balmora, since i have finished every quest there!
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:24 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hmm, am I lucky or what? Just did some tweaking again:

1024x768
200%(!) View Distance
100% AI
100% Shadows
--------------------
4xAA
lvl8 Anisotrpophic filtering
-3.0 MIP setting (didnt knew this works, but it greatly increases the sharpness of the textures)
--------------------------------------
Balmora, standing on the siltrsitrider bridge: 10-15 fps
Wilderness: 15-25fps
Inside: 30fps (I capped it at that, cant go any higher).

If you want to see the diff beween this and lower d3d settings (note that I was running heavy background progs, just for comparison):
www.jaload.netfirms.com/tweak1.jpg
www.jaload.netfirms.com/tweak2.jpg
(note that AA/Anisotrophic filtering and MIP settings, the VD and Shadows are the same)
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:25 am
karetsos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what?

hei mefisto, what system do u have?
a triple Pentium 4 overclocked at 4Ghz with two ati 9700 Pro
and 3.5 GB of DDR400 ?
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:27 pm