Final Fantasy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Final Fantasy

Why nobody talks about Final Fantasy In Here????
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:26 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Good question.... I would say that it's perhaps because FF is mainly a console based series, and most of the games that get talked about here are PC based. There are not many console RPGs that make it in discussions here. Cosole RPGs are a totally different breed, although we are starting to see a new trend where console RPGs and PC RPGs are more and more alike. Traditionally, PC RPGs have always been radically different than console ones.

I think that's the answer to your question
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Final Fantasy series? I have seen few of them but never play any of them!. FF VIII has pretty good in-game graphic IMO, but The cut scenes/movies is better, probably should say excellent. I heard that FFXI is coming to PC; i'm not sure i'll like the game or not. So, Gothic Freak, maybe you could enlighten me about history/background & the game's story behind the series?
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:47 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I played VI, VII and VIII and I have to say I liked them a lot, VII being my favorite. The console game 'problem' would be it I guess...

...the series' games' background is similar but not the same. They aren't chronological sequels but similar stories in similar universes. The fun thing with the series is that there are several recurring characters, no matter which game/universe/setting... take Cid , for example. He's in about every FF game (even in the movie, for that matter). And there are always Star Wars references.
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:44 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

About Cid, he was not in FF1, and I'm not 100% but I don't think he was in the GameBoy games nor FF:Mystic Quest. He was in II and up though.

I loved FF until square went to sony, then I didn't like them as much, I still bought and played VII and semi enjoyed it but I hated VIII. I never tried IX and I don't have PS2 so X is out of the question.

It would be really cool is square decided to remake the earlier NES games for the Gameboy Advance, preferably all in one package.

About XI, it's a MMORPG IIRC.

If we're gonna talk about console RPGs we should really talk about Suikoden, the BEST console rpg ever.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:25 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
....About XI, it's a MMORPG IIRC.

*Sigh* You are right, Final Fantasy XI has no single player option, it is another MMORPG. Gee, nowadays we just can't avoid to hear another MMORPG title. It seem everyone is all over same piece of pie...

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
....If we're gonna talk about console RPGs we should really talk about Suikoden, the BEST console rpg ever.

Suikoden? what kind of animal is that? never heard of...
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:59 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Animal?? If you're joking I don't get it.

Here is a review, some ss's, and some more stuff.

It's a great game, there is a sequal but I never bought it. It came out about the time I was deep into UO/EQ. Mayby I should dust off the old ps1(heh it's an original from when PS was first launched), pick up a copy super cheap and enjoy some gaming goodness.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:52 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

provis: "Animal?? If you're joking I don't get it." = it is my standard goofy statements.

The reviewer said the game is rather short, took 45 hours to finish it. I prefer epic size adventure & big game world. Size does matter for me!!
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:00 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ahhh, I still don't get it.

Only 45 hours?! Wow, it seemed like alot more back when I played it.

It probably would take longer if you took the time to find all 108 characters.

Even if it is short, when compaired to monsters like Morrowind and NWN, it is a blast. Think of it like Max Payne, it may only take like 10 hours to complete, but those 10 hours are super fun rather than having 200 hours where of those 200 hours 150 is running back and forth from place to place.

Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:32 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have never played them.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:44 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I can't give any Info abou FFXI because I've never played any of them I just was wondering because I hear everybody saying: FF this... FF that... You know.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:20 pm
shaman's tear
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

try Xenogears for epic

Anyone tried FF 9 ? It always looked different & fun,think i'd like to try it next time the console nostalgia hits me.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:25 pm
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

BOY, are Japanese RPGs a different animal from the PC RPGs we're used to. I honestly think they should have a different genre name.

That having been said, they're certainly worth our attention. My intro to the format was the spectacular (and spectacularly underappreciated) Anachronox, which was Tom Hall's attempt to make and "American" Japanese RPG.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy X, which is my FIRST FF game. It's the most visually beautiful game, bar none, that I've ever played.

The turn-based combat is very formal, like a Japanese tea ceremony.

The story is rich and deep.

It's a MUCH more linear and closed-end experience than a western RPG, however, and you have far less control of character development.

Still, it's beautifully designed, and I'm really enjoying it. It's much more like playing an interactive movie than playing a D&D CRPG (not saying that's a good or bad thing).

I'm also about halfway through Golden Sun on the GBA. Same kind of game.

Here's my ONE big problem with these Japanese games: The disturbing fixation the Japanese gaming audience seems to have on child characters. There are virtually no adults in the worlds in these games. The stories are serious, the characters heroic, but they're barely adolescents. There's just something creepy about that. At least in FFX they don't do that hideous exaggerated, huge head and eyes, tiny body look that Square used for so long. That just exacerbates the kiddie-fixation problem.
Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:01 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by irritantnumber6
...Here's my ONE big problem with these Japanese games: The disturbing fixation the Japanese gaming audience seems to have on child characters. There are virtually no adults in the worlds in these games. The stories are serious, the characters heroic, but they're barely adolescents. There's just something creepy about that. At least in FFX they don't do that hideous exaggerated, huge head and eyes, tiny body look that Square used for so long. That just exacerbates the kiddie-fixation problem.

I think it is related to culture. If you ever read Japanese comic books, you will also find a lot of child characters. Sometimes even a adult characters looks like a child. I never saw other asian cultures with this kind of apparent tendency in comic books or video games...maybe it's just a different styles of animation...

Last edited by Remus on Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:50 pm
Tharsonius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I love the Final Fantasy series, I bought my PS2 only to play FF7, FF9 and FF10
ok, its very linear, but you get something what most very open CRPGs miss: a very good story - you play to see what will happen next and near the end you have the option to do all the side quests (FF10 has a lot of them, if you want you can spend more time doing side quests then following the main story)
and its not less additive then playing other good CRPGs

ps: I'm a big manga/anime fan too
Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:55 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next