View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

It's great to know I am not alone!

quote:
TOB was such a disaster and it was severe cheese - so was most of BG2 as well, actually. It's like it was developed by a bunch of 12 year old powergamer munchkins on a dangerously high sugar rush trying to cram in as much kewl loot and monsters as they possibly could.

A quote from somewhere else, in response to my sharing my Baldur's Gate misgivings ... ie: The first one was okay, but not enough so to get me to buy the second.

It is just really nice to know I am not alone!!
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:25 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, I enjoyed BG2 and TOB a lot more than the first BG.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:01 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

BG-Fanboy Mode on:

I loved BG1 and BG2-SOA. While I liked the Game-Style and the Exploring-Aspect in Part One, Part Two had great Atmosphere, Party-Members that felt alive and a Villain that I really hated from the first Moment on.

I only enjoyed the old Attic and ReLine Games more than the BGs.

BG-Fanboy Mode off/.

Torment had better NPCs and TOB was a Punch in the Face for me - Hack & Slash your Way to smelly Melly.

While BG 1 was the Rebirth of the RPGs, TOB was the first Step of the Downfall of the Genre (I guess it was the first Try to copy Diabo 2).
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:34 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Heh. The first BG at the beginning made me wonder why I'd stopped playing D&D with any regularity. Near the middle it reminded me why. Pace was slow, all the characters were the same, etc.

BG2 was much better... kits and better NPC interaction made all the difference. It was a Monty Haul munchy dream come true, of course... all D&D computer games are. BG1 I completed once just to say I completed it... BG2 I completed three times.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:28 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Dang it all Xen! I forgot you did this to me last time we had this conversation ... now I want to run out and buy the bloody thing, but I KNOW I haven't the time right now to do it justice!

Oh well. I guess I will have to live in blissful ignorance.

And BTW - Thinking back on BG1 - I know what you mean.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:19 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

I enjoyed both. Back in 1998, BG1 was the pinnacle of fantasy RGPs, in my opinion. IWD improved on that in 1999 (although many disagree with me regarding this one), and BG2 introduced further improvements in 2000. What made me enjoy these were the differents aspects of each one: BG1 was somewhat non-linear, based mostly on exploration. BG2 was mostly linear, but had more developed NPCs, more variety, and a better interface. They are different, in some aspects markedly so, but both are good!
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:33 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
BG2 was much better... kits and better NPC interaction made all the difference. It was a Monty Haul munchy dream come true, of course... all D&D computer games are. BG1 I completed once just to say I completed it... BG2 I completed three times.

well, with the exception of NWN "social servers", certain PWs, a few SP fan-made mods (which are, of course, excellent, but they're still only fan-made so most people are reluctant to give them a shot) ... you said it.

mind you, non-Monty Haul NWN mods are a bit of a trend in some circles, you might want to give that style a shot.

quote:
Dang it all Xen! I forgot you did this to me last time we had this conversation ... now I want to run out and buy the bloody thing, but I KNOW I haven't the time right now to do it justice!

Hmm, didn't you start the thread by saying something along the lines of "BG [ToB] sucked". Are you going to re-play them just because Xen likes them?

As for me, I loved the first BG, although I think it started to drag on a bit after about 75% of the way through. The last battle brought my then-system to its knees (ran at about 5fps) and after I finished it, I decided to boycott RPGs for about 4 years... only got back into the genre with the Gothic series early last year. Now, Gothic 2 really impressed me a lot, and most of what I played after it hasn't impressed me the same amount (from a commercial/professional standpoint).

I never got around to playing BG2. But yesterday I installed my brother's copy just to see how it is. I like the interface and graphics much much better than IWD2. But the whole 2nd edition rules thing is throwing me off. Of course, 2nd edition was the last version of PnP AD&D I played, but that was almost a decade ago... Whenever I see the "attack roll" on the console box, I keep thinking in 3rd edition terms, so the numbers make no sense to me!
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:24 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@konny666 - You have to follow the train.

Lintra - Didn't play BG2 'cuz BG1 just didn't do it for me.

Xen - Yeah, start of BG1 - great, middle - Blah. (I agree with this)
BG2 - Great stuff.

Lintra - Lemme see here. I know Xen's taste in games. I agree w/ him about BG1, and he says BG2 rocks ... most likely I would agree with that assesment since so far there is not a single Xen recommended game that I have disagreed with (and a number of those he has trashed I agree with trashing).

Yeah, it looks like I did a 180 'cuz I did!
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:04 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Yeah, the kits really added some spice to BG2 and added some replay value.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:42 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

BG2 was more tightly designed (typical BioWare - fast learners) but I really enjoyed the exploration in BG1 making it my preference out of these two. The only other CRPG I had played in a couple of years was Diablo so I credit BG with re-awakening my CRPG love. Chapter 2 in BG2 was excellent but one of the problems otherwise was that I didn't really care about rescuing Imoen and Irenicus didn't do it for me as a baddy.

IWD had incredible art and the best music ever in a game (for me) so it's my overall favourite, even though it's a linear H&S. ToB was "OK" but no more.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:06 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Hmm… I guess I’m the only one that loved BG1 and only liked BG2
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You're probably not the ONLY one.

BG2 vs BG1 ... more classes and class kits, strongholds and stronghold quests, romance subplot, heavy character interaction... your party felt alive (some of the dialogues between Jan and Keldorn are incredible). good selection of NPCs (every second one wasn't a thief, like BG1), 'tighter' story, better spell effects, and of course HIGHER LEVEL.

BG2 is easily in my top 5 CRPG of all time. BG falls somewhere under Dragon Wars but over Wizardry Gold.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:06 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

BG1-sucked. I waited a while for that to come out and when it did it was crap. Walk around and kill things over and over. Combat was such a chore it was rediculous. Rediculous. You're lucky I can't spell or saying that might of had a larger effect. How is click on an ememy, watch the portraits to see who needs to drink a potion, pick up crap for twice as long as combat lasted a good combat model? That is crap. I don't even bother with wizards because it makes combat even more of a chore. Stupid gay IE.

BG2-sucked also. But by that time I was so inindated by the crap IE games that I was numb to crap combat so I got a little farther before quitting over the endless crappy combat. Combat so crappy that it deserves to be crapped on. Crap crap crappity crap crap crap.

The games would have been great if about 80% of the crap encounters were cut out, it had ToEE's combat engine, and the 20% of the battles that were left(that would make it just a little over 3 trillion battles) would be hard and challenging.

But not challenging like "you have to save and reload over and over for days" like the Battle Squares in IWD2. Challenging like ToEE in Ironman. Very difficult, but do-able, without saving and reloading.

The BG story and character interaction and quests are good, but the combat is just rediculously sub-par. And everyone praising the IE games like they are the greatest thing ever keeps suckering me into buying them. Same with DS, why the hell did I buy that? I new I wasn't going to like it. Good thing I'm poor now and can't buy a lot of games.

Did you guys miss the release of Falllout? That is a real RPG. How about Fallout 2. Those games revived the genre. BG just added quests to Diablo. Action adventures are good when the combat is fun, like Zelda. Click, drink a potion, pick up crap for twice as long as combat lasted is not very action packed or fun. It is crap, like the IE engine (and NWN).
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:39 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

"Crap crap crappity crap crap crap" huh?

Guess there's no accounting for good taste.

To the others, was I the only person annoyed by the lack of 3D acceleration support in IWD2? It looks horrible compared to BG2, and it came out 2 years later...
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:18 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

BG2 is easily in my top 5 CRPG of all time. BG falls somewhere under Dragon Wars but over Wizardry Gold.

Dragon Wars!

I never finished that ... don't know why, I was really enjoying it ... I think it might've gotten laid aside because of X-Com, and then lost. I remember going back to finish it and being REALLY po'd that it had gotten lost. Is it still around?
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next