Indie Roundup
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Indie Roundup

Time for a short round-up of news on the indie scene...
<br>
<br><ul><li>Lost Labyrinth, the rather cool graphical rogue-like that can be completed in under 20 mins has been updated to v4.012e; there's also a newsletter you can sign up for. Head <a href="http://laby.toybox.de/?sprache=1." target="_blank">here</a> for more.
<br><li>I haven't tried this one out but the rather attractive-looking <a href="http://www.morningswrath.com/index.php?c=main.html" target="_blank">Morning's Wrath</a> added "20+ hours of gameplay!" to their feature list. It appears to be an iso Diablo-like and is described as "...a Classic Adventure / RPG fusion. It combines rich story and puzzles with intense melee and spell-casting combat."
<br><li>On the subject of iso action/RPGs, <a href="http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/vampirecity/vampire.htm" target="_blank">Lost City of Vampires</a> showed up on our forums with some nice graphics and, obviously, a vampire twist.
<br><li>The post-apoc project <a href="http://www.igerard.com/" target="_blank">Abaddon</a> is moving to 3D using the Torque engine. Head over for a details.
<br><li>The space-trader <a href="http://www.cornutopia.co.uk/lif/aboutfs2.php" target="_blank">Flatspace 2: Rise of the Scarrid</a> has been released with new features including "artifact objects that can be obtained using a new a guild system, a wide variety of player goals, new and enhanced graphics, multiple difficulty levels, aliens, and improved game balancing (no more insta-kill random events!)". Thanks <a href="http://www.diygames.com/" target="_blank">DIY Games</a>.</ul>
<br>Don't forget to let us know of any indie projects we should be tracking!
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:31 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yay! Indie round-up!

Anyone know much about Abbadon - I;'ve gotten it very confused with various Fallout "tributes" and mods that all seemed to crop up about the same time?
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:32 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

No games for me this round, but I still very much appreciate the effort, Dhruin.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:26 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Flat Space looks interesting, but there is no demo. Odd for an Indie game.

I may have to try downloading the morning's wrath demo.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:51 pm
abbaon

quote:
Originally posted by niteshade
Flat Space looks interesting, but there is no demo.

Sure there is. It's an odd sort of sequel. The only major addition - the enemy race - just gives you legal and profitable targets that (unlike pirates) you can identify on sight. Mark also added a few items and tweaked some numbers. None of the game mechanics have changed. At all. That said, I haven't stopped playing since I bought it.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:03 am

I have the full version of Flatspace, it's quite enjoyable. I'll vouch for Flatspace II as well, although I've only tried the Demo so far not the full version.

The Demo of Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space has been occupying my short tracts of free time the last few days.
If you've got 20 - 30 minutes you want to fill this does the trick. Of course there is the problem of "just one more game"

Ubbax

"We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing."

-George Bernard Shaw
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:09 am

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Shrapnel has some interesting and creative games, I like the demo for the fantasy TBS in the last roundup as well. Does anyone know if you can order their games through download or if you have to actually send away for the CD?
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:02 pm
Ubbax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by niteshade
Shrapnel has some interesting and creative games, I like the demo for the fantasy TBS in the last roundup as well. Does anyone know if you can order their games through download or if you have to actually send away for the CD?

Digital download for their games isn't currently an option but is on the way. At least that's what the latest word on the matter is. You can read the post here: Digital Download for Shrapnel Games?

Probably not the answer you were immediately hoping for but at least Shrapnel realize the importance of a viable alternative to the postal system.

Ubbax

"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows." - David T. Wolf

Edited to remove this line: "I would think they want the system available for the release of Space Empires V."
Strategy First now handles the Space Empires franchise and they implement Digital Downloads.
Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 am