Is it possible to play through this game as pure spellcaster
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Is it possible to play through this game as pure spellcaster

Is this possible? Is it hard? Are you forced into a fighter role at the start of the game? Are the spell effects and sounds kickass? Is it more fun playing the game as a pure fighter, pure spellcaster, or a mixture?
Post Thu May 26, 2005 9:38 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is very possible, although it's diffecult in the beginning. Early on the mage is the weakest guild, but they become the strongest at the end. However I advice you to train in strenght and (recomandeble) 1-handed fighting before becoming a mage, it's always handy to have a sword at the ready 'just in case'.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 7:25 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

pure fighter aint hard because that merc.Combo of magic and fight is pali.But being a pure mage is difficult because you dont even have spells oranything so ur forced to use staffs or anything else.in the end youll be thuough enough with any char to defeat anything so dont worry
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Fri May 27, 2005 12:48 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Every foe in the game can be killed with magic, and mana is easily regained by sleeping in the nearest bed, so yes - it's definetly possible. Even if you find an enemy hard to kill, you can just summon the all-powerful demon to your side(late game spell, circle 5) and he'll do all the fighting for you with no sweat(you don't even need to carry a weapon the last 25% of the game if you're a mage really).

Whether it's more fun? Hmm, in Gothic 1-2 I'd advice you to try all classes, because they're all different and fun in their own way. The guild gives you more than just skills, but also a bit of a different way of advancing the plot, and some nice sidequests, so it's well worth it.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:33 pm
Grimmwulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There's no shame in taking some traning in strength and two handed weapons as a fire magician, in fact I think you're intended to. The monastery has trainers for both skills, and upon joining them you receive a fighting staff carried by all novices. I advice you to get whatever strength and weapon training you plan on getting before officially joining the fire magicians though, as its twice as expensive to increase those skills once you're a mage.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:35 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

If your intent is to NEVER use anything but magic to beat the game....yes, it can be done, but you better know the game inside and out to accomplish it. I have done it once, and don't wish to try it again. It is extremely difficult in some areas.

Do play a game this way, you need to attack the entire game differently, because you can't just whip out your sword(or even fists) if you get into trouble. Some quests you must simply forget(impressing the mercs for example) so you lose out on alot of EXP. Many times you will have to run....quickly. If you know the game WELL, think it through and give it a try.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:42 pm
Zalkryn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dang, it said mage is for advanced players, so I was going to try it as I am a very experienced RPGer. But if I need to know the game inside and out, which I take to mean have played through it already, then I guess I shouldnt be the class I wanted to be....I was hoping for a challenge my first time through this game without knowing whats coming.

Zalkryn[/quote]
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:11 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I don't want to discourage you.....try as a mage. You will make it through the game. But to make it through the game wisely, you need to not make mistakes. It is very easy to waste LP's.............so as a mage, you better think about it

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:33 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Zalkryn, playing a mage is not that hard. You can do it as long as you've played through it 1 time. What Uriziel is speaking of, is NEVER EVER using anything but magic(never using your fists, never swinging a sword etc), and that is extremely hard. Playing as a mage in general is not that hard, because you can still use weapons when the situation require it.
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:53 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Maylander, I should have known you would be one of the few peeps retarded enough to play a magic ONLY game like I did. We both describe it as "extremely hard", and that description does not do it justice. Excrutiatingly hellish is a better description, but even that falls short. I prolly saw more reload screens in that game than I have in ALL of my Gothic series gaming combined. Until the mid-to-late chapters of the game you are simply outgunned in every situation. You lose many opportunities to gain experience, so the pain drags on. It is the only Gothic series play-thru that I do NOT have fond memories of it.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:20 am
Zalkryn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok well I missed Gothic 1 and cant find a copy so Gothic 2 is my first experience. So far Im loving it. So I think I will play a Dragon Hunter as I love the scout/Archer classes as well. I'll just make due with the magic scrolls I get for some spellcasting fun. After that I will definately play the Mage!

Zalkryn
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:00 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, playing as a mage the 2nd or 3rd run through the game should be fairly easy, just remember to spend the runestones you get wisely(you won't get too many near the end, and that's when you really want to have a few spare ones to make spells like Summon Demon, Rain of Fire etc).

Yeah, playing magic only(not even allowed to use fists to fight) is as good as impossible. It gives you about as much loading time as the old Might and Magic lvl 1 solo games me and a few of the old MM community were trying to pull off(and managed to, after a month of reloading).

My point is, you are basically a moron with no life if you try to pull it off.
COUGH.

That being said, you can do an "almost magic only" game fairly easy. That means that you do carry a weapon, and you can swing it in the beginning, but not after a certain point where you have a lot of mana+spells. After chapter 3 or so this is possible(to only use magic), and quite fun in fact.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 pm
Zalkryn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sounds good. I love it so far.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:20 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

All this talk about good ol'Gothic 2 has made me want to replay it. Just did Gothic 1, and doing G2 now, aaaah it's excellent!
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:46 pm
Drax
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ive also completed G2 just using magic. It was very difficult at first, but half-way through the game, it became too easy. The magic I was using became too strong for enemies. Then in the last chapter I recieved Holy Missile which took the strategy out of gothic combat alltogether. That is, I must of completed chapter 6 in less than 15 minutes. Never again.
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:43 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next