Usergroups
wizadry 8 vs Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Ikea-BoY
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I bought gothic around 2 weeks ago.. ilove this game. its great.. YET.. i have been told wizadry 8 is a pretty decent game

im asking all you critics out there your expert opinion and comparison between the two games
am i likely i enjoy wizadry8 if i like gothic?.. i have never been big on rpg's

could you also recommend some other rpgs that you think i would like
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:23 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-19 14:23, Ikea-BoY wrote:
I bought gothic around 2 weeks ago.. ilove this game. its great.. YET.. i have been told wizadry 8 is a pretty decent game

I get Wiz8 and Gothic in same time. I started them in same time and I decided to play Gothic first.
After I finished Gothic I played Wizardy 8 (now I finished it also).
quote:

im asking all you critics out there your expert opinion and comparison between the two games

Firstly I thought, Gothic is better (there for I decided to play it first). Then I decided that Wizardy 8 is better. But now I think, that these two games are not comparable. And if you want to hear my private opinion, then I can not say if Gothic or Wiz8 is better, I really can not say. I only know that
- these two were surely one of best games I have ever played
- it is really difficult (if not impossible) to compare them, they both are marked RPG, but they are totaly different
quote:

am i likely i enjoy wizadry8 if i like gothic?.. i have never been big on rpg's

I was FPS player for long time. Diablo 2 was my first RPG, but it was not really RPG. Then BG2, but I was not able to finish it. Then Gothic - but it is nut "hardcore" RPG, it is maybe nearly action game. And then Wiz8 and I enjoyed it very much. So I hope you will also enjoy it very much.
quote:

could you also recommend some other rpgs that you think i would like

Definitely this one - Wizardy 8 :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-19 14:35 ]
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:32 pm
Ikea-BoY
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thank you ill take ur opinions on board.. ill have to research wizadry 8 a bit more..
to see what differences lie between the games to make them incompariable
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Differences?
Here are some of them:
- one character (Gothic) group of characters (Wiz8)
- realtime battles (Gothic) turnbased battles (Wiz8)
- third person view (Gothic) your own eyes view (Wiz8)
- hireable NPCs (Wiz8), no hireable NPCs (Gothic)
- graphics is very different
- story in middle ages (Gothic), story on other planet with elements of sci-fi (Wiz8)
- really large world in Wiz8 and nonlinearity in Wiz8 (not really in Gothic)
- creating characters from different races, occupations... (yes in Wiz8, no in Gothic)

Think f. e. about battles (and they are very important in both games). In Gothic battles are really actionbased. In Wiz8 (especially on harder difficulties) are battles more tactical, it is about cooperation between characters...

I do not really think you can not compare them. Surely you can... You can say if you more like meat or fruit - you can say it some time. So I tried it and I must say, I am not able to choose one of them
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:40 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, Gothic and Wizardry 8 is two different CRPG's. Gothic for the more action oriented player, W8 for the thinker!
They both are very good games in different ways, they emphasizes different roleplaying aspects. W8 is weighting very complex character building, and a huge world to explore in the immersive 1.person view.
Gothic is weighting story and it's flexibility to the gamers decisions and clever action based combat!
If I have to say something less good about the games it would be like this:
W8: Many tough battles for the poor strategic gamer. Almost fixed story. Fewer NPC interactions.
Gothic: Tough battles for the poor keyboard banger. Annoying bugs that can prevent you from finish the game, or even makes a reinstall necessary. Actually if the game concept wasn't so good as it is, the major bugs could easily have pulled this game down to one of the worst games ever. Game stopper bugs is the worst, and Gothic got a few. However a build in cheat facility, makes it possible to overcome these problems, if you know how.
I prefere W8 over Gothic with a small margin, but don't choose among them, play them both!
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:18 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Bottom line is: both are great, and if you're forced to choose between them, choose both.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:10 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-20 06:10, Maggot wrote:
Bottom line is: both are great, and if you're forced to choose between them, choose both.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:29 pm
Ikea-BoY
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

im now holding both games
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:35 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-20 06:35, Ikea-BoY wrote:
im now holding both games

and how are you typing this message, do you have 3 hands or what?

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-20 06:40 ]
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:39 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I hope that is the case.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:49 am
Dragonmaster89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I bought the games at the same time too. Decided to play Gothic first cause i thought the box looked cooler:) lol. I just finished gothic a lil while ago and am now pretty far(I think) in Wizardry. They are totally fabulous games!
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:28 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I loved Gothic and I really like Wizardry. Hmm. I like Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 2 better than either. I think it's all perspective. Gothic was done extremely well as a "behind the player" type game, and BG2 and F2 were great as "top-down perspective". Wizardry turned me off at first because you can't see your players. You can't see how they look different with different armor, and the strategy is different. For instance, I hate in wizardry how i can't send certain characters off to explore while others wait behind, etc. I know there are formations, but it isn't quite the same. Wizardry 8 is a great game, but it would be incredible if there were more NPC interactions and a more dynamic storyline, at least in my opinion.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:58 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I just typed all that but I realize I meant: Wizardry 8 is fun because you character build, kind of like the addictive fun of MUDs. Gothic was great because of the immersive storyline mixed with clever, and sometimes subtle NPC interaction.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:01 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Madglee: I agree on your missing points for W8, but let me give you some response on why it's better than BG2 IMHO.

BG2 got topdown view: Much less immersive gameworld experience.
BG2 got Ad&D rules: Boring character development with almost no choises.
BG2's story is much to twisting and long-drawn-out in my opinion, many people don't ever finish this game.
The few magic spells dominate way to much the combat in BG2 (cast protection and cast remove protection) until one of the combetants can't keep up his/her shields, so the melee fighters can get their blows in!

NB: Have played BG2 to the bitter end, and really liked it, but the above mentioned things don't bring this game in my top 5 list!
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:48 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

BG2 got topdown view: Much less immersive gameworld experience.

I agree.
I also prefer first person view.
Graphic in BG2 (I played it in 1024*768) is perfect.
quote:

BG2 got Ad&D rules: Boring character development with almost no choises.

I agree.
Wizardy 8 way of developing character is far more better than BG (or ADaD).
quote:

BG2's story is much to twisting and long-drawn-out in my opinion, many people don't ever finish this game.

I agree.
I was not able to finish it first time, I was not able to finish it second time. And I am not sure if I will try it once more.
quote:

The few magic spells dominate way to much the combat in BG2 (cast protection and cast remove protection) until one of the
combetants can't keep up his/her shields, so the melee fighters can get their blows in!

I am little bit confused from magics in BG2, too many spells, needs of memorazing, I do not know which spell when and why cast.
quote:

NB: Have played BG2 to the bitter end, and really liked it, but the above mentioned things don't bring this game in my top 5 list!

As I said, I was not able to finish...
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:03 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next