Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
When You First Start the Demo, Does This Happen....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

When I first load the demo (new or from a saved game) I find that everything is very sluggish & choppy - at first.

When I do a 360 degree look-around, as soon as the game loads, the choppiness & sluggishness starts to go away. It almost seems as if the game is cacheing itself to memory so that it runs better. After I move around a bit, everything is very smooth and mostly runs well. I have noticed that after playing for a while, it gets a bit choppy right by the castle gate sometimes.

What has anybody else experienced?

I am running an Athlon 1.2 Ghz, GEForce 2/64. 512 megs RAM, SB Live.

==Hawkwind==
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 11:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you talking about a short time,like 2 or 3 seconds, the game needs to accelerate to full speed, then I think this is normal. It also happens, when the visible area changes.
I heard Gothic keeps its complete world in RAM, of course in different LOD depending on distance. So itīs quite logical, they have to restructure this info from time to time.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:05 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

What kind of question was that??

Obviously, the textures can't just load all at once.

And the game experiences lag for a while, what's so special about that!?!

It's like you're new to videogames, Hawkwind.

Gorath was right, though.
Gothic eats up a lot of RAM. Depending on what your LOD is set at, the game might keep high quality textures loaded even when you're not able to see them.
Of course the entire 'world' or map is loaded at all times. It's the static creatures that it loads whenever you get close to them.

There is a lot happening around the castle gates. So you'll experience lag when moving from a less active environment to that.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:53 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

FetishFool, that was kinda rude.

Seriously, if you're going to act like a jerk, then do everyone a favor and don't post...
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:12 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-16 19:53, FetishFool wrote:
What kind of question was that??

The kind that assumes there's an answer, of course. Is there another kind?
quote:

Obviously, the textures can't just load all at once.

I'm not *expecting* them to load at once. Other texture-rich games I have played don't do that.
quote:

And the game experiences lag for a while, what's so special about that!?!

Look, this might seem *alien* to you, but I was simply trying to see if most people were also experiencing the same sort of thing. How the hell am I going to know IF I DON'T ASK?
quote:

It's like you're new to videogames, Hawkwind.

Let's just assume - ASSUME, mind you - that I was....so what? SO WHAT? Should I feel somehow *inadequate* about it - if I *was*??

And if a person *was* a newbie to computers and games - do you think a response such as yours would be well received by that person? Or help him or her FEEL better about asking???? I'd say not.

Your forum social skills need some serious work, Fetishfool.

As it turns out, I'm *not* new to computers or videogames - hell, I was probably playing them before you were born.

Try responding to people with a little more *tact* in future. There's not many people that get on forums to be ridiculed for asking simple questions.

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-16 22:00 ]
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:46 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

I just don't like you, Hawkwind.

That should be apparent, by now.

And it is a dumb question. You say 'simple', and I say plain 'dumb'.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:02 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-16 22:02, FetishFool wrote:
I just don't like you, Hawkwind.

[Hawkwind starts to shed big, round salty tears that run down and splash, sadly, on the desk]

Awww. That's too bad, Fetishfool. I *still* like *you*.

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-16 22:27 ]
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:23 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

It does that when I load a game as well. I am guessing it has something to do with how they decided to load games. I am sure they could have loaded more with a progress bar, and when you popped up everything would be smooth. Or they could ditch the progress bar, and show you where you are while it loads the rest of the world. I am guessing they chose the second option. A little chopiness to get rid of the progress bar is good for me!
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 5:04 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I'd appreciate if we all keep the tone friendly and helpful. Just because I think that's what these boards are for. If someone disagrees with someone, that's ok. But even that can be done in a moderate way.

Thanks, and now enjoy the board...

Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:31 am
d95err
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The initial stutter appears in almost any 3D game when you encounter a lot of new textures at the same time. I've seen it in e.g. Half-Life, Max Payne etc.

It's probably because it takes a while to load all the used textures into cache or faster memory.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:55 pm
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yes d95err (what this means?) it happens on many games even quake3 (realy i sow it).And guys don`t try to eat each other just put your hands in to the cable and shake them and if you can`t reach just ... oh i dont know just :))
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:04 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-17 01:31, Rendelius wrote:
I'd appreciate if we all keep the tone friendly and helpful.

Well, that's fair enough, but when someone responds to my post in a demeaning and insulting manner, I like to point out to that person that I don't appreciate it.
quote:

Just because I think that's what these boards are for. If someone disagrees with someone, that's ok. But even that can be done in a moderate way.

And I am also in agreement with this. However, I believe someone can respond to rudeness in a positive way - as I have - while pointing out the insults & general bad form, in posting on forums like this one.

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-17 19:40 ]
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:36 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-17 13:55, d95err wrote:
The initial stutter appears in almost any 3D game when you encounter a lot of new textures at the same time. I've seen it in e.g. Half-Life, Max Payne etc.

You're probably right, but I played Max Payne with everything set to maximum, and never saw any sort of choppiness to this extent. And Half-Life either. But I don't see it as a problem, since it pretty much goes away after the initial load, and then the game is very smooth, other than the odd hesitation.
quote:

It's probably because it takes a while to load all the used textures into cache or faster memory.

That was my initial guess, also. Since it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the game, I'm not overly concerned. I just wanted to see if everyone else was having the same thing happening.

Thanks for your reply, d95er !

==Hawkwind==
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:13 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-17 00:04, Stiletto wrote:
It does that when I load a game as well. I am guessing it has something to do with how they decided to load games. I am sure they could have loaded more with a progress bar, and when you popped up everything would be smooth. Or they could ditch the progress bar, and show you where you are while it loads the rest of the world. I am guessing they chose the second option. A little chopiness to get rid of the progress bar is good for me!

You know, I never thought of it quite that way. Seems to me you're right - games that have a progress bar seem to be relatively choppy-free after the game loads. I really don't know which I prefer.

==Hawkwind==
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:22 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well its just a theory. I doubt there is any reality to it what so ever. Or who knows, it could be right on the money. Throw enough darts and you are bound to hit a bullseye sometime!!!

Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:35 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next