games crashes when trying to save
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
XenosParadox
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

games crashes when trying to save

Hey friends. I installed Morrowind GOTY for the PC yesterday and unfortunately haven't been able to get very far because the game crashes whenever I try to save it. So my first question before detailing a zillion pages of computer specs is - has this been a common problem and if so, can anyone direct me to a solution? Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed & stop there for now. Thanks my friendly, philanthropic, benevolent web buddies.

Oh, and there are two different kinds of crashes, both occurring after I've tried to save. Both crash the computer so that I need to hit the reset button (warm reset (CTRL-ALT-DEL) won't work, and one puts my monitor into standby mode. If that helps.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:10 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

You still need to post the system specs.

One common problem of MW is crash to desktop (CTD) within particular time period, not like what you described.

Are you using ATI Radeon?. Any problem with other games?. Try reinstalling the game, check video driver, video setting, check the DirectX.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:19 am
Trevor311
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am having this same exact problem. The first crash came after loading a backed up save, about 5 minutes into the game. There has been one save game since that would lock up the computer as soon as the "Loading Area" part finished after starting the game and loading the saved game.

The rest of the crashes have all come when I save a game, and it's been about a 75% chance or worse of crashing the computer when I try to save.

My system specs are:

Pentium 4 2.8GHz (800 FSB) CPU (I've run it overclocked and at default with the same crash problem)
1.0 GB Mushkin HighPerf DDR DRAM
Western Digital 10000RPM Raptor SATA drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card
ATI Radeon 9800 XT Video card (Asus high end version)
Asus P4C800E Deluxe Motherboard (I875 chipset)

I have updated all drivers, tried it with the video card overclocked and at default speeds/settings. I have tried ATI drivers and the Asus drivers.

All drivers are up to date, all windows updates are installed, directx 9 is installed.

Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon and the patches are installed.

All Morrowind official mods are installed.

I have tried the official FAQ on fixing crashes without any luck (update morrowind.ini).

If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. The game worked fine before I switched from Audigy 2 Gamer and Leadtek GF4 Ti 4600 to the new sound/video. I am even on a complete reformat/reinstall after upgrading hardware.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:22 pm