Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Planescape: Torment (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

PlanetScape Torment - comment

This's the fourth BG-type game I've started and never finished. If the game graphics were as good as the opening cutscenes or the pics while loading I'd be still playing PS-T. The story was shaping up to be a good one and characters developing nicely, unfortunately I can't get past the 2D background with it's small, pasted-on, figures. With the amount of money the BG team have made Id've thought they'd move to the Morrowind kind of 3D world-setting where you can walk around things and north isn't always an uphill struggle.
I'd give it a '4' only coz I don't like the 2D background. I'd hate to play the BG games on a 14" monitor
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:11 am
the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well. I see this as the best game that was ever made from the infinity engine! Graphics where quite ok when this game shiped, but it was not grapichs wich made this game so great. It was it's story, character developement, npc interaction etc.
It's not fair to compare it to Morrowinds grapichs, Torment is after all over 3 years older than Morrowind. And I still feel that Planescape Torment highly outranks Morrowind as a rpg game!
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:29 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I agree completely. The depth of story and character development is simply amazing. It leaves morrowind in the dust.

The battles are extremely satisfying, and there are lots of hidden features that just make this game simply amazing.

PST is one of my most favourite RPG's of all time.

Btw: I never realy liked Baldurs gate. So if you dont like BG that doesnt necessarily mean you wont like this.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:54 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Continuing from Chekote's comments:

And lets not forget the party members and their stories that unfold as the game goes on. The skull (Mort) was just about the most memorable NPC/Party member I have ever experienced.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:34 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

1st poster is clueless.
Yes, this was by far the most enjoyable of the Infinity Engine games. Lots of small things made this game highly enjoyable and replayable. Most of all getting to know your characters. Tons and tons and tons of ways to upgrade your players just by talking to them and about them to one another. Barkers in the streets luring you into the points of interests, tons of lore and of course, the whole mystery about yourself and how it unravels slowy but surely until you dont really figure it ALL out until like the final 5 minutes of the game? C'mon now. This was possibly the best if not one of the top 5 RPGs I've ever played. Hands down the best 2d rpg I ever played, F/O2 making #2.
Black Isle rocks
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:09 am
Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Planescape: Torment

I've had the bargain bin, double feature jewel case collecting dust for months and just never got very enthusiastic. Finally popped it in and all I can say is Wow. This is the best RPG I have ever played. I didn't care for Baldur's Gate and wasn't expecting much, especially considering the game is over 6 years old. But I can't think of any other game that is this original, this compelling and this deep. I was moved. Black Isle really did an outstanding job making Planscape a believable setting and the music was perfect. A couple caveats, modern video cards (nvidia) have problems with the animations, some of them are garbled. It is also the wordiest game I've played; I'm not sure that's a big minus. It would be hard to make an experience that deep with out filling in the story. I'd love to see another game set in this universe, but looking at the current state of gaming and considering how poorly Torment sold, I don't see it happening. A pity that, good compelling gaming geared to adults is likely a thing of the past.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:25 pm
sintinian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

cool - a planescape thread! man, is this game unique?! shame about sales, but a game this original (concept wise) and this dark was always destined for cult status.
the masses of casual gamers that fuel the formulaic crap that's constantly being produced today (doom3?) always overlook this gem. But better to be cherished by a few than thought of as quite good by millions i say! shame the bussiness headed game publishers of today don't think so!
long live PS-T
Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:59 pm
Kingbreaker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Indeed, Planescape is one of the best, most original games ever made. It has the best story a game could have and the entire game is just genius.
When I think that Diablo II has sold probably 1000 times better than Planescape my head hurts. bad. I mean..the amount of dialogue and lore in Diablo II was less than what Torment has IN A SINGLE DIALOGUE...
The Dialogue with Ravel is also the longest and most complex dialogue I ever saw in a computer game.
And it's quests and talking that gives you serious XP, not killing. You really don't battle much in Planescape. There are a few places where you can play DIablo but those are rare.
BTW, Morte is like the best NPC ever
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:33 am
Role-Player
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: PlanetScape Torment - comment

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr Elvirion
With the amount of money the BG team have made Id've thought they'd move to the Morrowind kind of 3D world-setting

The Baldur's Gate team is Bioware. Torment was developed by Black Isle. The success both teams had was very different with their corresponding games.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:10 pm
Jibjab

Also, the game sold better than many people think. Agreed, the initial sales were dissapointing but the game continued to sell adequately for a longer period of time than most other games do.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:26 pm

dadhatter

true roleplayning game!!

what makes planescape so good is the true roleplaying.... it is VERY wordy, and you do much more talking than fighting, but the differences that come about based on your stats and character class are amazing... try talking to Dak'kon about his religion with a very high wis/int and you will get all exostential and teach him a thing or two..... most rpg's out now are more action than anything else..................
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:40 pm

SunfireKnight222
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

where can i find this game?

does anyone know where to find Planescape torment anymore? i had the jeweled case but it didnt work and i havent been able to find it since.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Just Scroll up to the first post and use the more about this game link. Takes you to amazon to buy it.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:20 pm
CrazyDwarf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's a beautifull game, with it's own grafical look which I like till today.

And the story and the background characters are absolutely amazing
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:05 am