Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Favourite RPGs, as nominated by YOU!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Your favourite? (see top post for more info)
Arcanum
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Arx Fatalis
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Baldur's Gate series*
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Deus Ex
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Divine Divinity
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind)*
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Fallout series*
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
Final Fantasy series*
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Gothic series*
31%
 31%  [ 50 ]
Icewind Dale series*
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Lands of Lore series*
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Might and Magic series*
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Neverwinter Nights
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Planescape: Torment
15%
 15%  [ 24 ]
Shadowcaster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
System Shock series*
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Ultima series*
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Ultima Underworld series*
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Wizardry series*
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
other (please specify)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 160

Author Thread
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hmmm... Hard to pick one only. UUW 1 was the first CRPG I ever played. I didn't know back then it was a RPG. I didn't know what a RPG was, for that matter. A friend gave it to me in a disk bundled with some video card when I was just starting to delve into this computer thingie. I only remember playing it for hours in my brand new Pentium 60 machine. So I consider it the game that got me forever hooked on CRPGs.
However, I don't remember a game that had me more more locked on my 'puter than Daggerfall. I had no social life while playing that game. I one day went so far as to calling sick to my office to play all day long.
So my vote was for TES series and Daggerfall specifically.
(Never had a problem with bugs, BTW.)
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:08 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've been thinking of downloading/buying daggerfall for some time now, and my interest has been further stimulated by the great reveiws that it has received.

However confession time, I didn't particularly enjoy morrowind. This was because I spent hours searching for combat, etc but didn't really find alot. Perhaps I didn't play the game enough, but I still have the elder scrolls, with all 3 expansion packs if I ever decide to give it another go.

My main question is having not enjoyed morrowind particualrly is it worth buying daggerfall? I know it's the game before morrowind, but I have heard from people that there are quite alot of differences between the games, and that many people actually prefer dagerfall.

Is it worth me persuing this game?
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:06 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I too prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind. I think the strengths of both games lie in the open-ended stuff... exploring, robbing & getting in trouble with the law (if that's your thing ), buying property, traveling, etc....
and IMO all of that was much weaker in Morrowind, because they took all the details out of it (did it even have property-buying?). In Daggerfall, you could buy houses, boats, a horse (and cart, should you so desire, with an appropriately enlarged inventory), you could climb walls, when diving into water you would float or sink realistically depending on carried weight (making partially-flooded dungeons much more interesting and dangerous), coins had a realistic weight, so if you ended up lugging around several pounds of gold, you could go to the bank and put it in an account... etc.

The production values in Morrowind were great, and I do think they did a really good job on the gameworld, but (IMO) the actual core gameplay isn't all that entertaining so it needs to be backed up by lots and lots of detail in the "extra" activities - Daggerfall had this in spades, but a lot of it was removed for Morrowind.

On the other hand, Daggerfall has serious downsides too. The dungeons were huge and seemed to be randomly-generated (at least in part)... anyway, they all looked very similar and took ages to clear, especially if you try a stealthy approach - I found them incredibly tedious, and they were eventually the reason I stopped playing. Also, bugs... save often, and in at least two alternate slots, cos you can bet you'll get a corrupted save file at some point - and some of the generated quests that had you searching one of those enormous dungeons for a particular item would be broken - only after clearing the entire place would you begin to suspect that, hey, maybe that item isn't even here. Not fun.

On the whole, Daggerfall is huge but has the halmarks of algorithm-created content (like the universe of Elite), has lots of non-story activity, and (if you like it) will last you years (I know people who've been playing it regularly since it came out, and are still doing so today). Morrowind is smaller, but small areas and details are more distinctive and more "designed" than generic, there's still a lot of non-story activity but it's not as detailed, it looks amazing and it's heavily moddable.

And if you want to go even further back, there's Elder Scrolls: Arena. I have heard that this is better (and, amazingly, even bigger) than Daggerfall, but I have hardly played any of it myself, so I'll leave it to someone else to weigh up pros & cons.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:12 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks piln, I think I will give daggerfall a try, as it sounds the kind of game I would enjoy. I've also been told it has a feel of the ultima underworld games to it, in terms of perspective, and the feel of involvement that the story provides.

I hate getting lost, and am not good at using maps, so hopfully it won't be too difficult to find your way around in the game world.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:54 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's definitely worth a look. You might love it, many do. Forgot to say, get all the patches you can find, and there's also a fix-save utility - even if you do suffer a corrupted save file, you might be able to rescue it. Another thing I forgot to mention: it's less forgiving than Morrowind towards non-combat characters. It gives you massive freedom with character creation, but you should still try to make a combat-ready character.

I might still have the patches somewhere... let me know if you have trouble searching for them, and I'll have a look.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Cheers piln, as it's quite an old game do you know anywhere where the game can be downloaded from?, or am I better of buying a copy.

I have sent an email to press2003 (following the link given by at home of underdogs as to where to get the game from) asking how much it may cost.

If I can't download it from anywhere it may be worth searching on ebay for a copy.

Thanks
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:15 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Not sure about Daggerfall, but my mate emailed me today to say Bethesda have released Arena for free. Like I say, I have hardly played any of it, but what I saw was (superficially, at least) quite similar to Daggerfall. Both games open in a dangerous area that serves as a tutorial - Daggerfall's was a dungeon, which I found difficult & irritating when playing a non-fighter; Arena's is some kind of sewer-type arrangement, which I found a bit more realistic and less offputting. Hmmm... might give it another go myself now my DOS machine is built.

Anyway... I'm light on details, I'm afraid, since I just scanned over the email quickly beofre leaving for work, but I'd guess Bethesda Softworks' homepage is the place to look. I think either Daggerfall or Arena will work pretty easily with DOSBox, VDMSound or any Win9x DOS mode.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 8:26 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Our newsbit about the release of Arena to the public domain is here:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10077&newsid=27200

A link to the file is in the newsbit, as is a link to DosBox.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 10:21 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I downloaded the free version of Arena, and tried to play it through DosBox. The game runs but soooo slow it's unplayable. The music and sound of the start of the game are the same as Daggerfall's and I just couldn't help it but remember what a great game DF was...

Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:18 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Drakton
I downloaded the free version of Arena, and tried to play it through DosBox. The game runs but soooo slow it's unplayable....

Maybe try VDMSound, if you haven't already. Not sure if it runs Arena/DF, but I think if it does it will probably be quicker than DOSBox.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 10:40 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

ofcourse Gothic series because you will never get sick of it.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:06 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

i voted Gothic seris the BEST GAMES EVER!!!
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:24 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I also voted for gothic series.I haven't played any other game for so many hours and it's story was one of the most interesting in the PC games I’ve ever seen plus the ability of doing anything you want in this enormous size world.In addition the actions I've made in the game had some affections in my feelings.
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:34 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Gothic. A game where you start with great expectations and just need to know how it ends(let's hope the series will never end) first handed
Post Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:52 am
FreshMeat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had to vote for the Gothic series, out of all the games I played so far. I am not a big fan of Morrowind... the game is too stiff to me. I just bought and love Fable, but Gothic and Gothic 2 still have it beat.

Will have to try this "Daggerfall" to see what it's about though.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next