A few questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A few questions

I bought a copy of the original Gothic on eBay and have started playing. So far, so good but there are some things I'm wondering about.

a) If I wander over to a mine and use the action button on one of the ore deposits my character begins bashing it with a pickaxe. I never seem to get anything out of it though. Do I need to learn something first or is this just a waste of time?

b) Is there a way to buy/sell single units of an item. The game seems to insist on transferring items in grouped units like 10.

c) Would it be better to stick with 1 handed weapons or 2 handed weapons?
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:58 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to our forum!

You should install the fps patch and ramp up the game´s details with the console. It´s worth the effort.

a) A loose end. It works in G2.

b) I don´t remember how exactly it´s done. It was shift or alt. Look it up in JemyM´s FAQ on GothicDot. It explains the interface in detail.

c) Doesn´t matter. 1-h is faster, 2-h has more range.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:57 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

And in the end, 2-h has more powerful weapons ...
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have another question. The walkthrough says I can learn to get stingers from bloodflies by reading a book that Chronos sells. I went to Chronos and he doesn't seem to sell the book. He sells 3 books about the gods and 2 about magic. Does the book not appear until later or will he have it randomly?
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

The bloodflies book becomes available from several guys when you reach a certain level. you are quite at the begining of the game yet. Cronos and others will have further books and stuff also as you progress.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:05 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
The bloodflies book becomes available from several guys when you reach a certain level. you are quite at the begining of the game yet. Cronos and others will have further books and stuff also as you progress.

OK, thanks. It's a pity that's the case - I've picked up all of the other hunting skills (that are available at the start) and am running around killing monsters for sellables. There are plenty of bloodflies around so I wanted to get the stingers as well as the wings.

On that note, how often do the merchants restock with ore? I was selling animal parts to get enough for the digger leggings but the merchants in the old camp ran out of money. I ended up having to hike down to the bottom of the mine - the guy running the smelter has lots of ore.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:20 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

About the ore,

You will see an increase in the traders ore sources on a chapterchange, you have to ballance the scales with goods for goods, don't take all the ore at once, if you do you will get a lower replenish rate after chapterchange. The replenish rate factor is dependant on the ammount of ore traders have left prior to the chapterchange. So if you build up the level of ore that the tradesmen have prior to the chapterchange you will have a greater return of ore available after the chapterchange.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Holywhippet
quote:

On that note, how often do the merchants restock with ore? I was selling animal parts to get enough for the digger leggings but the merchants in the old camp ran out of money. I ended up having to hike down to the bottom of the mine - the guy running the smelter has lots of ore.

Of all the traders Wolf and the other trader(I can't remember his name right now. He is on the upper level on the left side near the entrance) in the new camp seem to have the most ore. Frankly I don't remember them ever running out. I have gotten all of Wolf's ore, closed and reopened dialog and he all of a sudden had 9999 ore. Same with arrows. After you get all the smelters ore his supply does not replenish with a chap change. BTW, arrows should be thought of like ore. You buy and sell arrows for the same price, so just use them like ore

You can get the diggers pants for free if you know where to look and ask

@Wulf Will the smelter replenish his supply if you leave him with a little ore? I think I got about 750 from him and he never had another nugget for the entire game.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:03 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
About the ore,

You will see an increase in the traders ore sources on a chapterchange, you have to ballance the scales with goods for goods, don't take all the ore at once, if you do you will get a lower replenish rate after chapterchange. The replenish rate factor is dependant on the ammount of ore traders have left prior to the chapterchange. So if you build up the level of ore that the tradesmen have prior to the chapterchange you will have a greater return of ore available after the chapterchange.

I understand the idea - but the pants aren't available for normal sale for some reason - only via a special menu. Hmm, that being said, the merchant might now have all 500 ore that the pants cost.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:28 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Do BUY the diggers pants.....you can get them free. Just ask around in the mine

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:10 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Do BUY the diggers pants.....you can get them free. Just ask around in the mine

Do you mean do, or do not? The walkthrough seemed to indicate that the pants you can get for free only give 10 protection from weapons instead of 15.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Sorry for the mistype......Do NOT buy. As far as i know there is only one level of digger dress and it is weak but better than nothing. Why waste money on it when you can get it free.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:42 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Sorry for the mistype......Do NOT buy. As far as i know there is only one level of digger dress and it is weak but better than nothing. Why waste money on it when you can get it free.

There are two types. If you speak to one of the merchants in the Old Camp he will offer to sell you light ones for 250 and regular ones for 500. The regulars offer better protection. Admittedly I got shadow armour soon after for free.

I've run into another problem. I started chapter 2 and did the first quest. Now I've been ordered to the old mines to beat up some minecrawlers. For some reason I can't get into the mine though. There is a grate over the entrance. I was playing around with the winch outside the mine before but fiddling with it again doesn't remove the grating.

*Update*

Well, it was definetly due to my playing around with the winch. I reloaded an older save where I was coming out of the mine. I turned the winch back and forth and the grate opened and shut. It won't work in my latest save though.

Is there a save game hack or something I can use to force the gate back open?

*Update 2*

I checked the tech support forum and came away with two suggestions. The first was to use the console to trigger the grating to open - it didn't work. The second was to use the Goto Waypoint command to teleport straight into the mine. That didn't work either. I can teleport to locations outside the mine but all of the waypoints inside the mine just get me an error message saying something like Invalid Waypoint.

I might have to just go back to my old savegame.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:24 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

If you brought the templars to the winch and get and error that is a well known bug. You can still use marvin mode and "k" through the gate, but you better be ready to fight lol.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:26 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

zTrigger evt_om_crawler_01

Worked every time I tried it. If not activate the god mode and "k" (then F8(?) to adjust height) through the gate. Toggle god mode again after the first onslaught.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:45 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next