Usergroups
Asherons Call 2 question...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.
Asherons Call 2 question...

Hey I am heavily looking into ac2 and was wondering if its worth putting out 59.00 canadian plus the fees every month. I have heard alot of good things and most the bad things dont bug me. but is it justified for its price? plus do i get any free time when i purchase the game? thanks

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:15 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

You get one free month (or at least, the version sold down here does).

Is it worth it? I haven't decided myself, yet. It's fun but not outstanding so I'll evaluate at the end of the free period. Since an average SP game lasts me about a month I figured if AC2 lasts just two months it wasn't such a bad deal.

I think it really needs another aspect, such as city-building to lift it above mediocre.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:49 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didnt care much for it myself. Graphics are good, sound is ok, and the vault stories are an interesting idea. Another great idea is everyone starts with lifestone recall, and everyone can buy portal recall, plus the group versions of those two spells. Also, content is being added monthly, however, there was so little to start with it is going to take alot to flesh out this world. The skill system is ok, but lacking in varity for me. I prefer AC's system instead which is rather complected. The real downside of the game is the game world. Why am I saving the world for evil? I'm not sure, there are no people to save, everyone, even the few NPCs are adventures who darn well should be capable of saving themselves. The lack of tradtional fantasy rpg cities makes the game feel hollow. No buying and selling to npcs, or any relaxing days strolling through town checking out shops. Most annoying is all the buildings are 'generic' graphics. You cant go in them, they are just there for looks--so are the doors on the builds! Dont waste all day clicking on them, because the only thing that will happen is time passing you buy. Cities can grow and shrink or be destroyed by monsters (if i recall that the web site said), but why waste my time defending dull, uninhabited cities? Combat in mmrpgs has boiled down to target with mouse, turn on windshield wiper. AC 2 is still this basic concept, but with nicer anamations. This game bored me to tears when it first came out, and after 3 days of the 14 free they just gave me, it was still rather dull. You may still enjoy the game, others love it. AC2 is just not for me. If you do play do the lost wish vault, its neat! Other dungeons are small and dull though.
LB
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:10 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

how much do armor types and weapons vary? or is it pretty generic. becuz in most screenshots the armor looks the same... same with character customization. how much can you customize? plus what is a good system to run it ... i know the system requirements but those are usually kinda "iffy". thanks again.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:47 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ive yet to see a person that would "enjoy" playing AC2. That includes most rant forums, to be mmorpg sites, general comments and other game forums and reviews plus sales and the future patches of the game.

I suggest you go to AC2 forums and see what they are writing about the game. Dont waste good money on turds. Vote with your wollet. (if they do enjoy the game there, then i guess it has "hope", and also you prolly get all the answers to your questions)
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:15 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

thanks Zakhal. i will go to the ac2 forums and ask.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:23 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I found Asheron's Call 2 to be mostly soulless, though I enjoyed the environment graphics quite a bit. I didn't renew my subscription.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:27 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I didn't like AC2 at all. Graphics are okay but the world feels completely dead.

After 2 weeks I wen't back to the original Asheron's Call which does not look so good but is a much better game with good skill system, lots of quests and what best, having a world that LIVES.

I didn't even use my free month completely.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:14 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Im really suprised at how fast they add events and random things to the world of Ac2 ... I tried it at a friends house and really liked it ... it does need a couple new "tricks" up its sleve lets just hope they pull them.

Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:37 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I didnt like AC2 either.
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:32 am
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I started out loving AC2. I thought it had one of the best newbie experiences for a mmorpg I've seen so far. You're guided around doing lots of quests from the start and the crafting system allowed me to craft my own equipment early on using things I found on the monsters I killed.

After a while I started needing rare items to advance my crafting skill, and the simplified character system started to bore me a little. By the time I reached level 20 or so, I started losing interest and didn't play for a while. Soon after that I lost my job and had to cancel my account and I don't miss it much. This was all in the first month-month and a half after release so it may have become more exciting since then. I really like the feel of a brand new game though where there's lots of people starting as newbies at the same time and its probably not like that any more.

I really can't say whether it was the game's fault or not that I got bored with it. That happens to me all the time with games, even with good ones. It took me 2 or 3 false starts over the course of a couple of years before I finally got into Planescape Torment.
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:50 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Well now you get 2 weeks for free to try it out, but believe me its all eye candy, they game itself is just not fun, 3yrs later Im still playing ac1
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:15 am
Dhruin

Well, two weeks after starting I've stopped, so I guess I've ended up ageeing with most of the comments. It's ultimately rather empty and pointless.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:30 am
Abbath
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i think the game was boring in the beginning, and more fun later on in the game. but like somone said, its all DEAD. its not living. that's the number one problem, and i don't like that u can't buy things from NPCs either.. I would rather pay for another mmorpg than this one. try it for 2 weeks.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 6:57 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

im still playing it and having a blast with my allegience. (eol)

Post Sun May 11, 2003 7:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next