I'm Confused
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I'm Confused

There are so many things to remember, I don't think I will ever fully understand this game. Is it really important that I understand all these D&D rules. Do people actaully play this without a computer and stuff. How do you manage that. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to this game.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:17 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

With a CRPG it's not terribly important to remember or know all the 3e rules as the computer handles the trickier bits. You just have to work with character creation and evolution.

Don't stress over it.

And yes I think some people play this game off the computer... How do I keep track of all the rules... well... some I know very well, some I have to look up in my trusty-rusty 3e Player's Handbook or Dungeon Master's Guide.

Though I really only have to check those two when I post on the official D&D Forums... a place filled with testosterone and lurking menaces just waiting for you to be one page off on a rules quote or to interpret a rule slightly different than 'core' so they can lash out with brutal flames to prove their worth.

I laugh at them and get flamed all the time because damn... it's only a game. They hate when you say that.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:54 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Re: I'm Confused

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName
There are so many things to remember, I don't think I will ever fully understand this game. Is it really important that I understand all these D&D rules. Do people actaully play this without a computer and stuff. How do you manage that. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to this game.

I don't realy understand the D&D rules, but I have no problems playing NWN, i think the Baldur's Gate games are a little more advanced...
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:54 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName

Knowing every nook and cranny of the rules is important only if you want it to be. I believe in running a fairly loose P&P campaign, and introducing the player to rules as needed (or when I think they can handle it).

As to NWN knowing all the rules helps, but probably causes you to stress more about maxing out yr char than enjoying the story. So what if you have to waste a feat to learn to use a katana. If your character wants to use one - do it! And have fun using it. Yeah - you probably would've had a more powerful char with some other feat - but you/the char would always feel cheated 'cuz you felt you couldn't use the sword you really wanted to.

To quote some else (gee I wonder who? ) its only a game. Games are meant to be fun.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:01 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
.....it's only a game. Games are meant to be fun.
I really hate it when someone says that
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:33 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

It's only a game. Games are meant to be fun.

His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:29 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by DzD

[sarcasm=high]Trying to get in trouble with the "Spoiler of All Fun"? [/sarcasm]
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:19 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
quote:
Originally posted by DzD

[sarcasm=high]Trying to get in trouble with the "Spoiler of All Fun"? [/sarcasm]

Yes, don't make him angry...
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:06 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I tried to forget about the rules but it just soooo hard.
Right now I am just having fun playing single player but I will never knowingly get a skill or anything that stuffs up the "perfectness" of my chracter unless I am making a stuffed up character on purpose. Thats just me. When I get more time I shall learn everything there is to know about this game and go online to create the biggest, meanest, strongest kil;ling machine that ever existed. Mawhahaha

The manuel doesn't help you much either. It is the longest and worst designed manuel I have ever seen. All the contents and stuff are completely out of order.

And its not just a game, its an obession that takes over my body and threatens to consume me if I don't give it what it wants, a perfect character.
Maybe this is just the effects of playing Diablo too much.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:13 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well I'm sure you'll find enough servers out there willing to play the game in Diablo style.

As for the character, I don't care much about being the best in whatever. I want the character to be what I like him to be the most. Something that seams 'fitting'.
Also if you want to assign points to skills then you could stay with your class skills only. The advantage is that they benefit your character more, than putting the points in cross-classed skills, which are far less effective. If there is a skill I really want and it's not my class skill then I could ocnsider multiclassing so that I do get it. This ofcourse within some limits. At the moment I'm a monk/rogue.
As to selecting feats, I read all about them and select the one I think is most 'fitting' to me and my character.

It's not about how excellent my character will become, but how much I like him. I believe Xen said it first: "It's all about style".
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:57 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I have a dwarf fighter character at the moment. I think I will have no problem creating a big stong character but I want to understand what makes him so strong and how I can improve him. Does that just come to playing the game or should I do some reading.

The last thing I want is to have everyone rush me to the end of the game and to the highest level, because then I would understand less.
Btw, what is the highest level you can achieve and does it take really long to get to it.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:39 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

20th level is supposed to be the cap. As to how long it takes to get there ... well I haven't gotten there yet so I can not say. However, I am taking my time with this game.

As to having a dwarven fighter, the skills are up to you. You will never be good at sneaking or lock picking - so don't even try - you have too few skill points to waste on these. The class skills for a fighter are:Concentration, Discipline, Heal, Lore, and Parry. I would suggest Discipline and Parry - fairly dwarven, and very focused on combat.

The feats are harder and really depend on your style. Weapon specialization and focus are a must for you, but other than that consider whether you want to fight with sheild or two weapons. That should be enough to get you started.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Level 20... and my wizard is level 16 nearing the end of chapter 2... so... not long if you do all the sidequests (I'm being thorough for my review. ).

What makes a character tough in 3e is focus. Generalists rarely do very well... but NWN promotes generalists.

By what you have in NWN... a perfect fighter.

High str and con
Full plate and shield
Longsword

Weapon focus: longsword
Weapon spec: longsword
Improved Critical: Longsword
Power attack
Knockdown (kills mages dead)
Improved Knockdown
Toughness
Improved Power attack: (Die, chests... die. )

That's everything you need, really. The rest is completely optional. As a human you can get power attack, weapon focus, and toughness at level 1. At level 2 grab knockdown. At level three grab improved power attack for early game annoyingly locked chests. Level 4 gives you weapon specialization. Level 6 gives you improved knockdown and something else. Level 8 gives you improved critical.

And then you're done, really. You're a killing machine. Since you now have 12 levels of nothing to do feat wise (dodge and mobility aren't as important in NWN as they are in tabletop, but if you have a 13 dexterity you might want to grab them instead of improved power attack and improved knock down... saving those for later.) you might want to take 12 levels of barbarian for the extra hit points, no suffering of base attack, more skill points, ability to rage, immunity to being flatfooted... etc. Don't worry about the full plate taking away your barbarian speed bonus. You don't need it... better for the extra armor points. You can rage in heavy armor and that's all you need out of the class.

Game over. Fighter wins.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:03 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
By what you have in NWN... a perfect fighter.

High str and con
Full plate and shield
Longsword

Weapon focus: longsword
Weapon spec: longsword
Improved Critical: Longsword
Power attack
Knockdown (kills mages dead)
Improved Knockdown
Toughness
Improved Power attack: (Die, chests... die. )

That's everything you need, really. The rest is completely optional. As a human you can get power attack, weapon focus, and toughness at level 1. At level 2 grab knockdown. At level three grab improved power attack for early game annoyingly locked chests. Level 4 gives you weapon specialization. Level 6 gives you improved knockdown and something else. Level 8 gives you improved critical.

And then you're done, really. You're a killing machine. Since you now have 12 levels of nothing to do feat wise (dodge and mobility aren't as important in NWN as they are in tabletop, but if you have a 13 dexterity you might want to grab them instead of improved power attack and improved knock down... saving those for later.) you might want to take 12 levels of barbarian for the extra hit points, no suffering of base attack, more skill points, ability to rage, immunity to being flatfooted... etc. Don't worry about the full plate taking away your barbarian speed bonus. You don't need it... better for the extra armor points. You can rage in heavy armor and that's all you need out of the class.

Game over. Fighter wins.

I have a fighter at level 15 in the end of chapter 2, and is using a Cleric henchman for the best combo to my fighter. They are a power team now. If the opponent is magical my cleric will make it vulnerable or unsummon it, if it's just a big tough hitpoint rich monster my fighter will deal with it.

For the fighter the "feats" are important, hench he/she gets a lot of them

Weapon focus: Graetsword
Weapon specialization: Greatsword
Improved Critical: Greatsword

Are the essential ones. The Greatsword has a better attacking range than the longsword, and not to mention bigger damage range. Especially in doorways or narrow passages the long range of the greatsword can prevent more than one opponent to attack you.

Forget the shield. It's heavy and not that protective, eventhough where are a few magical good ones.

Change your heavy full plate +1 armour with the much lighter and more protective "Mithril splint mail" (AC 10)

Get the amulet of healt: Your fighter will get immune to Poison, desease, and level/ability drain

Get the belt Of guiding light: Immune to death spells.

Get a cloak, bracers, rings, helms that gives you a high "Spell resistance" gives you better "Saving throws" (Universal), and gives you a high Fortitude/reflex score.

Other important feats for the fighter:

Alertness
Cleave
Disarm and improved disarm
Toughness
Great fortitude
Iron will
Skill focus
Exotic weapon skill
Lightning reflexes

You don't need any lock picking abilities as a fighter, just a good disarming ability to hinter the traps blowing you away. You can "bash" every chest open with your magical (great)sword.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:55 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would think that double-weapons would be better than 2-handers. Where would that thinking go wrong?
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next