View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
the English version of the original Gothic was more than a year behind the German version.

Not correct, Gig. German release was 3/15/01, English release ~11/30/2001.

quote:

This is even more ridiculous. A multiple language version should have been a design decision from the start. So even after the eperience of multilingual with Gothic I, it is even more "amateurism" that the English version is still holding for Gothic 2.

Okay, the 20th time in this forum, only for you:
Piranha Bytes is the developer. They create the game. JoWooD is the publisher. The publisher alone decides when, where and in which language the game is released.
Development and publishing are two completely different kinds of shoes. If JoWooD wants to wait for a certain milestone in their marketing plan or is still negotiating with possible partners youīll have to wait a little longer. Or do you think it would make sense to release the game without marketing support and secured shelf space???
<i>A delayed release in the secondary and tertiary markets is not the excepttion, itīs the rule.</i> We see this every day in the German market -which is the worldīs second biggest behind the US market. Only the biggest games (i.e. Warcraft 3) are released worldwide on the same day in multiple languages.
Different markets, different marketing. One example: 1503 A.D. is the fastest selling game ever here in Germany. A mainstream product. But in the other 60+ countries itīs only a niche product and will be marketed by EA as a long time seller.

quote:

The English version will gather much more revenues than the German version, so it is not a wise business decision to stall.

If the English version will obtain more revenues than the German version remains to be seen. Itīs very unlikely. Here Gothic II sells (a) exceptionally well and (b) for an average price of 40+ EUR. Such a performance of the English version would be a pleasant surprise.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:29 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Oops... Sorry, my bad.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Oops... Sorry, my bad.

np.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:12 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Oops... Sorry, my bad.

np.

those little faces dont really look right...
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:38 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by TheSleeper8119

Why not? They were hugging together...
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:52 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
quote:
Originally posted by TheSleeper8119

Why not? They were hugging together...

Nevermind...
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:39 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

JoWood

Wonder if Piranha likes working with JoWood? On their website they say pretty much nothing about them. The delay could just be because they are trying to coordinate all the different localizations to go to market at the same time?
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:31 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well my shop here in Holland has Gothic 2 for a march 7 release
this doesn't have to be true, so ...let's just wait!!!

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:08 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I doubt it will be out by March 7th. It generally takes at least 2 weeks (and usually longer) from the time a publisher announces a title has "Gone Gold" until it hits store shelves.

For any hope of a March 7th release, they'd have to Make the "Gone Gold" announcement February 27th or 28th at the latest.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get it on March 7th, but I'm not going to get my hopes up over any release date until they make that announcement.

I don't know why JoWood's delaying the English Version release, (I'm sure PB has incorporated the latest patch into it by now), but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by doing so. People are going to start losing interest, (if only a little) and getting wrapped up in other games that are coming out.

This means that they won't be as inclined to run right out and buy G2 when it is released. Which could result in decreased sales revenues, (something you'd think would be the last thing a producer that's struggling financially would want). I don't know what's going on with JoWood, but delaying the release just makes no sense to me.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:38 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Its quite simple Cleric, JoWood is a bunch of sadistic assholes who like to torture us, plain and simple.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:48 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Dybbuk, be real - and please mind your language.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:09 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

TheCleric, okay, let's think positive.

Perhaps the game is gold already and JoWooD just forgot to announce it. And on Mar 7, the game will suddenly pop up on the store shelves. Everyone will be shocked and happy then...
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:20 pm
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I want to know when an englais demo will be out. I am looking forwards to it.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:43 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, the German demo was out after German G2 was released.
ie. German G2 -> Nov 29
German Demo -> Dec 12

So, I think the same thing will happen for the English demo. But, who knows? There're always exceptions.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:46 pm
dutch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah, i went to software etc. and they told me April 18

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
I think it will be going gold once it seems that the 1.30 patch is working fine, before they make a master copy. I realy do not see the game being "done" and "ready" to ship until April, in my own opinion.

By giving the next Add-On maybe coming out about the same time, it will make the German version beta testers feel better for not getting a clean original. Then later there will always be the final End of Year Gold Edition, with Gothic 2 patched version with the Add-On, to sell internationally for Christmas Q4.

Many game companies do this, and with the good sales in Germany, someone will publish the international version in English sooner or later.

Patience, Luke..patience...

Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:38 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next