nice "Wasteland"-game ->

(good)
many quests, items, humor and battles , much dialog, good story

(bad)
bugs, save game corruption, some things are not "finetuned"
bad game camera positioning in mountain areas
ATI 9700 is poorly supported

Conclusion:
this game needs some fine tuning and patching (Silver Style is working on it)

then, and only then it will be a game in the tradition of Wasteland & Fallout.
Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:13 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

ive heard there are lots and lots and lots of bugs but the devs seem to be working on them, 2 patches released already!
Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:40 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

It's disappointing to hear the condition of the code but encouraging to hear the underlying game may be pretty good. English players still have a long road ahead, so we should get a thoroughly tested game.
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:55 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

But on the other hand, Dhuin, I must say that this is generally unfair to the people in the Germany, Austria & Switzerland, who are used as a sort of guinea pigs and beta testers, but are non the less paying for it. (not that I am one of them, although I do live in germany, but still it is unfair, since this has been the general attitude of all German developers & publishers - release a very buggy game for the German market, and then polish it up for the NA release. The situation was the same with Gothic (both), Sacred, Divinity (both), and so on)
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:03 pm
Dhruin

Oh, I couldn't agree more! I guess it reflects a a couple of things to some degree or another: small developers with limited resources and a lack of experience. In this case, Silver Style self-published, which means there was no publisher to take care of the QA (for the most part - I guess Koch may have done some QA but I doubt it could have been much). Publishers can have large QA departments to spread across all their projects but a dev with one of two teams just can't have a large QA department.

Still, it shouldn't happen...but my guess is it will (unfortunately) continue to be a "feature" of Euro projects for some time.
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:47 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Koch only came onboard 4 weeks before the release, when BigBen went out of the full price market.
Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:17 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Oh, maybe most of them are, but that is not a good excuse. Especially in the case of Ascaron/Sacred, since Ascaron are self-publishing the game in the German market, as far as I know, and have been around for ages - they are authors of the not so bad series of economic simulations like The Patrician, Port Royal and stuff like that.
And on the other hand we have the fact that many titles, come with a nice huge delay in the European market. Most of the time it is for localization and stuff like that, but still it is unfair, as the actual text that needs localizing can be sent to the people doing the localization earlier, than the game is finished.
On top of that, the prices in Europe are a slightly higher than their NA counterparts, since most premium titles in the US retail round 49,99 $, while most premium titles in Europe are retail round 49,99 €. And since the euro is for some time worth a bit more than a US dollar, it still largely unfair to Euro-customers.
Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:55 pm
Dhruin

We pay on average ~AUD$89 for a premium title, which on today's exchange rate is US$70 -- so we get it pretty bad, as well.

I understand what you are saying loud and clear...I just don't think it will change much. When you are faced with a limited budget and a development that (almost always) runs late, putting even more pressure to ship and/or cut features, I think it's inevitable that many companies will cross their fingers and ship.
Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:56 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Patch 1.4 seems to be the first stable version - some bugs are still there but you can solve quests now and not "side quests": how to work around the next bug ?

a few more first impressions:

combat:
a bit too easy for my taste - the combat engine is more like Kotor and not like Jagged Alliance 2. The enemies are not very bright.

quests:
many different ones, interesting and fun.
find these 5 items, rescue missions, combat missions, adventure-like-fun missions, find a key for that door, find persons, ...

dialog:
interesting, sometimes long dialogues - some quests can be solved if you choose the right answers.

story:
linear so far, but again: an interesting and consistent story.
Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:09 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I was actually looking for quite some time, to voice my opinion on this matter, so excuse me, for doing you over, Dhuin. It turns out you guys have it pretty bad, also (Btw, you should see how the situation is at Bulgaria, with only one company distrubuting all major publishers, basically having a retail chain of about a dozen shops in 5 of the major cities, virtually no price cuts, and little to no distribution in smaller towns or support from other major retail chains. No wonder I was getting pirated games back then, since most of the time I could not find the titles.)
Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:31 pm
Thuron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Now there is patch 1.5 but it will take 1.6 to be completed. Anyway it is in many aspects a great game with lots of stuff to do, Lots of places to stroll around and endless humor.

Some reviewers were not too satisifed with combat system, but hey its no Jagged Alliance, and honestly I am thankful.

For the English release they posted they have a distributor, and they are actively seeking english narrators, voice over stuff like that. So if anyone of you knows how to contact Mark Hamill, Ron Perlman etc. give Silver Style CEO Carsten Strehse a note.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:22 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Oh, maybe most of them are, but that is not a good excuse. Especially in the case of Ascaron/Sacred, since Ascaron are self-publishing the game in the German market, as far as I know, and have been around for ages - they are authors of the not so bad series of economic simulations like The Patrician, Port Royal and stuff like that.
And on the other hand we have the fact that many titles, come with a nice huge delay in the European market. Most of the time it is for localization and stuff like that, but still it is unfair, as the actual text that needs localizing can be sent to the people doing the localization earlier, than the game is finished.
On top of that, the prices in Europe are a slightly higher than their NA counterparts, since most premium titles in the US retail round 49,99 $, while most premium titles in Europe are retail round 49,99 €. And since the euro is for some time worth a bit more than a US dollar, it still largely unfair to Euro-customers.

Are you sure about the prices? There are different shops in Germany selling for example Half Life 2 for 39,90 Euros - according a research of a mate. He bought Half Life 2 for that price in a normal Saturn shop. I read, that the best price for HL 2 was 38,99 Euros.
I do not have the time to compare the prices now and give more examples, but I am under the impression, that you pay less Euros than Dollars.

About the sad "German" bug story: I have played once a German game, which did not have any bugs at all, that was the lovely "Zanzarah, the Hidden Portal", and I admit now, that I like that game very much (the reviews were from 60 % until 92 %). After that the devs went bust, but I think, that company has started again.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:59 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Thuron
For the English release they posted they have a distributor, and they are actively seeking english narrators, voice over stuff like that. So if anyone of you knows how to contact Mark Hamill, Ron Perlman etc. give Silver Style CEO Carsten Strehse a note.

Do you have a link for this? My understanding is that negotiations may be well-advanced with a particular publisher but no contract has been finalised. I'd be surprised if they are at the stage of worrying about voice-actors.
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:23 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Damn, I thought I had told you that or at least posted it in a thread you participated in.
Carsten confirmed in the German forum that they have a publisher for North America. Or for the UK? At least one for an English version.
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:13 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Edda,
the standard price for a new release is 45-50 EUR. Some games are offered a bit cheaper by the publisher (adventures by DTP for example), others are sold aggressively by some retailers like MediaSaturn. You can usually get every game for 40 EUR within a few weeks. Some store will offer it for this price.
When we still had the DM the standard price was 80 DM (~40 EUR) with special sales for 65-70 DM.

In the USA you can get most new games for $30 plus taxes within a short time, at least when they´re on a special offer somewhere. PC Games are getting cheaper over there because the sales numbers are decreasing. The market moves to consoles.

I order most of the few games I buy in England (or rather Jersey) from www.play.com . They have many new releases for 16.99 GBP including shipping to most European countries. The last time I looked this was 26 EUR. Subtract shipping and it´s less than half the German price. I bought G2 and SpellForce from them, for example.
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next