George R.R. Martin
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
The_Khan
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re:

I'm sure everyone who's read George R.R. Martin remembers The Battle of The Trident when Robert Baratheon fought against Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, enjoy

The Battle of The Trident:
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:24 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

That looks amazing

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:39 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

"Fantasy light"? I think Martin is better described as "dark fantasy" or "gritty fantasy". Anyone gotten to the bit about the "Red Wedding" in book 3 yet? *snickers*

(Edit: MARTIN, MARTIN, I meant Martin. I can't remember what happened in book 3 of WoT... I suppose that was when Rand killed Forsaken #2324 out of the 8235 there are)

Last edited by konny666 on Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:12 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I would personally never describe Robert Jordan's writing as being "gritty" or "dark".

Verbose maybe ........ to the point of tedium many would argue. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion however.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Since I can't remember nothing about any sort of Red Wedding in The Dragon Reborn I'm presuming Konny meant Martin, not Jordan.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:42 pm
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I`ve also heard a lot good things about John Marco and his saga Tyrants and Kings. It`s supposed to be like martin, "real" charcters with all their strengths and flaws not some uberhuman heroes.
I`m still waiting for the damn amazon shipment to arrive, the first 200 pages of his book are supposed to be awful but then it`s supposed to be really great.

Oh and one author i can also recommend is David Gemmell and his Drenai books. Really great stuff.

L.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:08 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Martin...YUK!

I tried three times to get into his series. This guy spends hundreds of pages describing conversations and moods and about 30 seconds on story. I read fantasy for a story mostly and so I pass on Martin and Jordan. I'm glad that so many people enjoy his work though. Variety is the spice of life. I'm sure many people hate Eddings, Modesitt, and Anne Bishop and these are some of my favorites. I've read thousands of fantasy novels and like the books with extremely powerful yet humble mages the best. I don't know what that says about me... Belgarion is my fave and Jaenelle Angelline is my current mage of choice.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:29 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Lannister
I`ve also heard a lot good things about John Marco and his saga Tyrants and Kings. It`s supposed to be like martin, "real" charcters with all their strengths and flaws not some uberhuman heroes.
I`m still waiting for the damn amazon shipment to arrive, the first 200 pages of his book are supposed to be awful but then it`s supposed to be really great.

Oh and one author i can also recommend is David Gemmell and his Drenai books. Really great stuff.

L.
I liked Marco, although he wasn't my favorite. You know how some books seem to take forever to read, regardless of how long they actually are and how much you might like them? Marco's books certainly didn't go quickly for me.

A big thumbs up on Gemmell. One of my top 5 authors. He probably won't win any awards for high-brow literature, but the stories are fun with developed characters and plenty of action.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:02 pm
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I also heard a lot of good things about Paul Kearney and his "Monarchies of God", i have however not read them.

Another Series I can recommend as being fun to read but of course not as high-leagued as Martin, which is my absolute fav of all time ( look at my Forum name, heheh hear me roar !!!) is the Dragoncrown series by Michael Stackpole.

L.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:26 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

I like Jordan. I think Jordan is indeed verbose, but I believe some of the criticisms aimed at his characters are a little unfair. They're not the uber heroes everybody say they are, they make plenty of mistakes. Some people use this fact to argue that the characters are childish and imature. Well, those people seem to forget that most of the main characters are no more than farm people, with little to no formal education, half-literate, who had hardly left their towns before the whole saga started and whose technical knowledge was limited to "herding cows" and "using bows." No experience in politics whatsoever. Some people expect those 18 year olds (if I recall correctly) to suddenly make all sorts of deeply intricate political decisions? How would you behave if you were half-literate and were suddenly thrown into a position of power, capable of affecting the whole world?

Those characters are, for the most part, predictable, but then again, they're supposed to be like that. I for one like it.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:46 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I personally don't find anything amiss with Jordan's characterisation either. It's his verbosity with respect to environmental detail that's the problem. It almost borders on existentialism.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:36 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Jordan is an excellent cure for insomnia.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:49 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
Jordan is an excellent cure for insomnia.

Hush! Retire from whence thou came, darkfriend!

As for me, I like both authors very much. Jordan has the smell of summer on him. His books are summer books. I happen to have read them in summer, and I loved the atmosphere of the world he created, and specifically his attention to detail, the wonderful magic and folklore. Rumour has it that he doesn't find an end to his story, that's too bad, but it doesn't affect the joy I felt when reading. The only thing I don't like is that the books take so long to come out. I was able to read the first 7-8 volumes one after another, which was very nice. And now I'll probably wait until some more books are out, or else I will forget what happened all the time.

Martin, on the other hand, writes winter books, harsh and cruel, and I happen to have read them in winter too. I purchased the first volume back when it was still a sleeper, the second shortly after as hardcover, I had to wait a bit longer for no. 3, got a hardcover version of 1, and now I'm still waiting for 4... Either way, his books aren't as 'detailed' as WoT, but the dark and gritty realism is very intriguing, reminds me of the Gothic games actually, though Winterfell is even rougher. I felt for the characters, their worries and what little joy they could get.

If I were to find a suitable comparison for The Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire I would say that the former is exotic like 1001 Nights, and the latter is heartless like.. well, the Dark Ages.

My 2 pieces of silver.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:23 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Since I can't remember nothing about any sort of Red Wedding in The Dragon Reborn I'm presuming Konny meant Martin, not Jordan.

Correct. Annoying typo/slips like that are the worst.

(Of course, even if there was a Red Wedding in one of the WoT books, I would have forgotten about it by now. I've forgotten everything pre-Book5 I think...)
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:48 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well said, Ariel. And if we were to take the videogame anthology even further: if ASoIaF was like the Gothic series, then WoT would resemble a typical NWN campaign. Think about it. Rand, starts off as a farm boy, later becomes an "adventurer", finally ends up a "high-level" (epic!) character capable of taking on the Gods of a former age... mmm, very D&D-ish if you ask me.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:56 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next