Alternative to first person MMORPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Alternative to first person MMORPGs

O.K. I have no decent internet connection but would very much like to play something that looks like World of Warcraft, Elfquest etc... ( I realize this would be single player due to lack of internet ).

What is a good first person view rpg that you would recommend to me ? I am not looking for excessive deph here ( hoever it would be nice ) but rather an alternative to first person shooters, sort of a Diablo2 in first person view. I hope this makes sense.

I saw recently a box with Morrowind with two expansions for decent price, and Gothic 2 as well, any other ideas/suggestions ? IS Morrowind really that awful ? couse it does look very cool. What about Omicron ? Old but meybe this one is good, 'couse it's cheap as dirt.

If any additional info would help then: I allready played/own: Arcanum ( like ), Neverwinter Nights ( don't like ), All Fallouts ( love ), Diablo2+Exp ( like ), Bald Gate2 ( like )., Now playing Tachyon the Fringe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:24 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Gothic 2 is your best bet. I didn't finish both Gothics (felt it was abit too hardcore, and I couldn't get used to the combat system), but go ahead and get it if you really like first person games.

Morrowind is quite nice (especially with the Xpacks), but the freedom of the game does come at a price. You can end up running around for minutes/hours without knowing what to do and the system requirements for the gameworld is quite high.

Overall, if you like RPGs get Gothic/G2. It'll be worth your money

PS: About a game that looks like WoW, look for an old RPG/RTS hybrid called Sacrifice. It's not too demanding once you get used to it, and has a nice story to it. AND you might want to wait for Vampire TM: Bloodlines. It looks kick ass from all the screenshots!
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:59 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Arx Fatalis is a good game. Wizardry 8 has first person view but is a party game, but is a great game (but the amount of combat wears you down, but maybe not you if you like Diablo, but it isn't easy like diablo, or nearly as fast.)
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:37 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think you've exceeded your quota of "buts" for today, Roqua

I'd second Arx Fatalis and Gothic 1&2.

If you loved the Fallouts and liked BG2, I'm pretty sure you'll like Planescape:Torment. It's by the guys who made the Fallouts (with just as much depth to story and player/character approaches to problem-solving) and uses the engine of the BG series. It's one of the best RPGs ever made, but not what you're asking for here, so I'd say buy it if you see it and keep it to one side til you're in the mood.

Do you like sci-fi? It seems you are asking for an RPG-like game in which depth is welcome, but not hugely important, with some engrossing action. To me, System Shock 2 fits the bill almost precisely. But, obviously, it's not in a Tolkein-style fantasy setting, and it will require you to gird your loins with some authority, lest you flee in terror (it's scary).
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:44 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

But Piln...

I should edit that, but I'll let it stand as a testament of my stupidty.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:54 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
But Piln...

lol

This might be slightly off on a tangent here... but there's a game on PS2 called .Hack: Infection (or Dot-Hack ?) which is a single-player game that takes place inside a MMORPG. There's no real online component, the MMORPG is just the setting for the game. When you fire it up, you see your computer desktop from which you can read/send emails and run apps, one of which is the MMORPG (it's called "The World"). The story has something to do with a friend of yours who was playing the game, but became comatose or somethig, and is kinda stuck in The World.

Apparently, the story is being told in the game(s), an anime series/movie, and comics... each medium contains a different bit of the story, and all run in parallel. So, a rewarding multi-media experience for the reader/player/viewer, and a big fat wodge o' cash for whoever dreamt up the scheme (assuming it's any good, of course).
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:06 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
But Piln...

I should edit that, but I'll let it stand as a testament of my stupidty.

Or humor

As to the original statement ... I have a feeling from the games he's played that Wiz 8 might do it ... But I recommend Might and Magic 7. But then I always recommend M&M, but then they are good games, but they are dated, but it seems I've caught the but disease.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:29 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
...I've caught the but disease.

We'll have to amputate.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:40 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

No need!

Seriously, from what little I can glean of Cryptor69's tastes, the combat from Wiz 8 might be a touch overwhelming. M&M has the skill system (very rewarding), a good story, tons of combat, but not as exacting as W8, and most importantly the really cool goodies. AND it is from a first person perspecitve, AND has an option of real time (boo hiss) versus turn based (YAY!) combat AND has the really cool fly spell.

M&M 6 might also be considered, but the graphics are even more dated!
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:58 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanx for the suggestions

I played Wizardry 8 quite a bit, pretty good game, the story is great, the graphix are just too outdated these days. It's the kind of a game you play for the story I stopped 'couse I got too frustrated not being able to beat a band of 4 fairy like things at one point ( If you played it then you might know where this is, It was at the end of a level that is one huge tree. )

Played Sacrifice. Sacrifice is an unbelievable game, but we have learned to expect that from the guy who made it Liked it alot, still like it It's so rare that a TRULY original game concept comes around ( Like Sacrifice, Dungeon Master, etc.. etc.. - I won;t mention anything older ). I recommend this game to everyone, it;s in bargain bins by now, you can't go wrong.

So far I'am considering Arx Fatalis, Gothic, Gothic 2, Morrowind Gold ed.,
Meybe's: System Shock 2

I have not heard / saw Arx Fatalis or System Shock 2 but I will google for them & their screenshots. At this point Gothic 2 and Morrowind Gold Ed. ( with both expansions ) looki the most promising.

I don't know if any of you heard about these game or ever played them but.. I'am playing Tachyon the Fringe right now ( sci-fi space combat with limited rpg/adv. elements ). This is in the spirit of Wing Commander: Prophecy ( now that is a truly great game, I don't care what anyone says ). Good games, give them a try.

Personally, the price of the game plays a big part in my decisionmaking too. Not that I can't afford them being a marketing manager of a company that is the biggest in its field in my current country of residence. As a rule I refuse to pay for overpriced things, there is no reason why any game should cost $ 50 or more.

I just thought of something, there is also OMIKRON the Nomad Soul.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:30 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

All but's aside, go for Gothic or Gothic 2. Both are great games and very immersive. MW isn't a bad second choice, however (please notice, no but), while MW offers better graphics, I found the Gothic worlds more 'alive'.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:21 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wizardry 8 has great graphics. The hallways in the monestary and the reflective floor in the temple. I think wiz 8 has better graphics than most games out today, or at least better hallways and floors.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:41 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

get Gothic/Gothic 2, most addictive roleplay games i've ever played
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:41 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

That's suprising from everything that I saw so far Gothic 2 has much better graphix then Morrowind, but that's just the impression that I got from screenshots posted on the net. I will check prices of Morrowind / Gothic 2 / System Shock 2 and compare prices I'am a huge sci-fi fan and system shock is propably the cheapest of the 3 by far, but if Gothic 2 is not too expensive I would definetly make it my first choice.

As far as Wizardry 8, yes the reflective surfaces are great. Overall though imho Wizardry 8 graphix looks very dated, blocky, and movements of npc's are awful ( this particular thing is not a very big deal really ). I like Wizardry 8, but I just don;t think that graphix is it's strong part.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:49 am