JoWooD (, )
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Discussion = a definite yes.
Attacking each other/country bashing = a definite no.
So please keep the discussion civilized.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:50 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Please, stop this discussion. Of course people in the USA want to play Gothic as hard as Germans do. If a publisher has the possibility of shipping a game to another country, without too much extra costs, they'll certainly do it.

And please, no country owns the internet. Let's keep it like that. I like to think that places like RPGDot bring people together because they share a mutual passion for something. In our case, for RPG's. Please let not things like nationality come in between that.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:08 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Just incase you dont know, the only reason you are even on this site is because the US Government developed the internet and shared the technology with other countries.

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement? I'm sure DARPA who funded ARPANET, had several motives to develop such a system. However they didn't get involved until the 1970's. A decade before that a lot of investigation was done related to packet-switching, which is the lowest level of the communication used. This was mostly done at MIT, but also on other universties in other parts in the world, amongst others in the UK. They developed in parrallel their own systems. Without packet switching there would be no ARPANET and without ARPANET it would have been developed by other universities instead.
The DARPA program was a big push towards 'internetting' computers and laid the foundations of what is there now. The TCP/IP protocol we all use now for our communication was established later and was a collaboration between many governments, universties and industries.

To say we are here now solely because of the US government and without them the internet wouldn't have exisited is an overstatement. It would have come to existence anyway, although at a lower pace because the US government funded major parts of it through DARPA and no other government 'saw the light' yet.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:27 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hm, I'm quite shocked towards this arrogance. It surely will be treated in an article by me.

How does it come that everyone forgets CERN ? Because it's European ?

Well, here now we have the typical "Clash of the Cultures".

Many people I know of are complaining on big, big US publishers publishing games in the US first, and then the rest of the world. Money dominates !

Everything's the US , the cliché goes : First, bigger, better, more. Cut handbook for Baldur's gate for German release, Icewind Dale soundtrack only available in the US, Pool of Radiance Collector's Edition without Soundtrack, and much, much more things. Take2 even managed to publish a game that was made in Holland / The Netherlands in the US fuirst, and not in Europe, where it originally comes from.

That causes a lot of uprising, complaint, and Anti-Americanism.

NOW, you can have an insight towards how this point is : You are complaining on G2 not being released in the US (the majority of postings in this thread i about that). No-one would have even noticed that G1 was out there, only RPGDot did. Without them, the US market wouldn't even exists.

No-one knew Gothic, because people seemingly (at least that's the conclusion induced, no matter how wrong it might be) simply don't look into European web sites, or even into German ones.

"Nothing good comes from Europe" the song might be, at least that's what this arrogance tells me. Gothic is a German game, and that's good, because it shows the rest of the world - and especially the USA - that there are other countries and good games out there.

As long as publishers try to sell non-translated american games into the european market (just imagine : would you buy a not translated game from Sweden, for example ?) , this will still be a difficult thing.
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Alrik Fassbauer
Without them, the US market wouldn't even exists.

Who's being arrogant now? I found out about Gothic from Gamespy. I didn't even find RPGDot until after I had finished the game.
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:52 pm

As far as I know RPGDot was the first English-language Fanpage / Webpage for Gothic.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:14 pm

Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Grrr , that above was me without having cookies turned on.

By the way, so you played the German-language Gothic with German text and everything ?
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:21 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

No, I played the English version. Gamespy was toting the demo as this great new thing a month before the game's English release, so I tried it out. I never would have known about it's existence otherwise.

While I love RPGDot, I can't give it all of the credit.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:41 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I agree - many titles are published in the US first, and in PAL countries - who knows when (the best example is the news I heard resently that Deus Ex 2 is coming to the US for PC and X-Box now, and Europe - this time next year!, not to mention that Legacy of Kain Defiance is not even published for PC in the US!, and thus the PC version will come with the rest of the PAL releases in March 2004).
So I say it is fair when the US-ers suffer a little bit as Gothiks are delayed in the US, for all the suffering beared by Europeans ...
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:21 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2