Gentleman Jim is gone and it may be my fault
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gentleman Jim is gone and it may be my fault

For the love of God, someone tell me I'm not f***ed.

I got a job from Gentleman Jim to find evidence that Yngling Half-Troll is corrupt. Well, I found that evidence long long ago when I cleared out his basement of diseased rats. Even though I knew that I'd need it later, I can longer find it. It's in none of my stashes.

So I looked it up in the Construction Set, and found the name of it. There were actually two of them, 'bk_ynglingledger' and 'bk_ynglingletter'. Although I only remember getting the letter, I went into the console and added both.

I went back to see him and lo and behold he's not there! His bodyguard is there, and when I asked him about GJ, he gives his usual "Look around, fool!" answer. That makes me believe that GJ is supposed to be there and isn't.

I saw a post here about problems with quests when plugins are added, and one poster (sorry, I forgot who it was) gave some instructions about renaming the save file and opening it as a plugin in the editor.

Well, I can't open my save file in the editor at all. When I try, I get:

Script:
'bonescript' in file 'quicksave.esp' has not been initialized. Continue?

If I say Yes, it crashes. If I say No, it just shuts down.

I've uninstalled the game, deleted everything in the directory that was left over, and reinstalled. No difference. JG is gone.

Am I completely screwed? I have to tell you that I know NOTHING about the editor other than browsing. Is there any way to get him back?

If I have to start this goddamned game over, I'll break the CD in half and quit. I WILL NOT do all this again, considering how far I've gotten.

PLEASE someone help me! In the mean time, I'm going out and getting blitzed. It is Friday night after all. Maybe this is a good thing.

P.S. Would it help to post this in the plug-in forum? What about the "official" site?
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:09 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Well, did you try the ra command at the console to reset actors? Maybe that will put him back in place. If that doesnt work, try tcl at the console to disable collisions. Then look/walk up and down through the ceiling and floor where he is supposed to stand in the game. I have heard of other bugs in the game that cause npc's to float or fall through the boundaries. Sometimes they are quite a ways up or down. Dang bugs...
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:58 am
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, I found someone with the exact same problem in the morrowind.net forum. GJ was gone for him too, so it could be another bug. In any case, someone else replied with the command for adding the character back into the game:

placeatpc "stacey" ,1,1,1

I did that and it works - sort of. GJ was back, but after I completed the next quest (getting a land deed for a woman in Sayda Neen). and returned, he was gone again. Once I made him reappear again, he had no recollection of having given me that quest, and I had to listen to him tell me about it first. This is definitely scary. I'll just be glad when I'm done with him.

I still don't know if there was something I did to make him disappear, or if it's a real bug.

The only thing I know is that the auto-save that was in effect BEFORE I added the ledger had the same problem. What I'm curious to know is whether doing things via the console affects only the CURRENT save game, or does it affect all the other save games. Does it write to the main .ess file, or is that file static? If it only affacts the current save game, then it's definitely a bug.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:02 pm