frame rate ok, but still jerky...?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
yabadaba22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

frame rate ok, but still jerky...?

Been reading lots of the threads on game performance problems, esp. in the city, but haven't found any mention of the following:

After setting the range of view to low (F1) I get pretty good frame rates in the city, even in the harbor (25-30 fps). However, I still get a VERY annoying jerkiness when moving through the city. Say the hero is running... about every 4 steps (every second or so) the display hesitates for a moment, then "jerks" forward.

Tried disabling all other graphic and video settings, but they don't seem to have any effect. Been playing with the gothic.ini file too, but to no avail

Anyone else seen a similar problem? found a way to alleviate it?

thanks!

Athlin 2400+
ASUS A7N8X
512MB DDR
GeForce4 Ti4200 w/ 64MB
Detonator 45.23 vid drivers
Windows XP
DirectX 9.0b
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:10 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Same problem but no cure. I just keep going. It seems only in the city that it happens for me.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:39 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there yabadaba22.

Have you still got the problem? are you putting up with it or is it unbearable?

Your cpu is o.k
Your ram is prob o.k
Your graphics card is a good one

This leaves your mobo. if you want to try a small experiment let me know

P.S your frame rate is o.k (its working) but the limiter (timer) is being
interfered with.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:27 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Tell me what that is, I may want to try to fix mine if I can. I plan to play this game a few times so it would be nice to fix the jerky stops if I could. Thanks.
Mark Twain
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:02 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there cmckj50,

Before i carry on, i would want your spec, most importantly what exact model
Mobo, the critical factor being if there is an "itegrated chipset"

I would not be giving a "step by step" but just one basic guideline, then
it would be for you to Check out.

(yabadaba22 hang on till i get this)
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:54 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

You didn't state your hdd. If there is a "tight throat" on your system, it might as well be it... And, that's regardless your ram amount is huge.
Also, you might want to try to temper with the swap file size, setting it to a constant. This reduces the time system spends on manipulation with it, since it doesn't bother to empty it...
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:57 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks Wulf. But you are talking to computer dummy here. What is Mobo?
I have (pulls out big book of papers that came with computer)
1500 MHz PIV motherboard and CPU assembly (Mobo?)
Over 700 MB RAM (can't remember as I upgraded from 256 with extra 512 mbs)
20GB 5M Ultra ata hd
64 MB DDR ATI RADEON VE AGP graphics Accel w/DVI and TV out video card
sound blaster live pci
OS is WinXP
I think I got all the right stuff here.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:37 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.K cmckj50,

You've led me up a blind ally, a bit (i presumed you had the "same" problem
as yabadaba22) but yours is a different Mobo (motherboard) and you hav'nt
specified your make or model mobo, or version number, or bios date etc' so that little experiment won't do for you.

HWFanatic is right about your Hdd but i assume that your dma's are all on and your hdd led dos'nt "thrash" (allmost constantly accessing during gameplay.

First, if you can manage it, remove the 256 original ram and try the (new 512?
or 256? in mem slot 0, if no different, try the original 256 only, in slot 0.

Do your rams "look" similar (both single or double sided) or one or two of each? tell me what you have. We are looking for the most of the same here.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:19 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I will save you some questions, as I know I have updated bios just last month. I have 1.5GHz Intel Pent. 4 processor and motherboard. It came with 256 mb rdram pc800 memory. 20gb 5M Ultra ATA hard drive. All bought at gateway. I installed two additional 256 mem cards and I did put them in myself into slot 1 and the original still in slot 0. They Look almost identical, but first two are each 128 (originals) and the other two next to them I put in are 256 each. Does that make a difference? When I asked the sales guy he said it didn't. I can change them easy. As long as it makes no difference in anything else on the system. I have updated my drivers for all things just a short time ago and no new updates are out there for me. Gateway has instant update scan and install. I run it about once every two weeks. When G2 wouldn't install right for me I found I needed new drivers and got them, all was well. I have a pretty full system and only have 7GB open memory on hard drive at this time. Does that effect the game play? I didn't think it would, but as I said I'm a "Dummy" without a book. Thanks for answering my probably stupid questions in advance. The game is working well enough to play and enjoy, so I don't expect you to do a long distance dx on it for me. But if there is a simple suggestion you might have, I would be glad to hear it. Thanks again for your time and patience.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:40 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Nothing will make Gothic 2 run fast on this PC.
Your whole system is outdated. The biggest bottle neck is your graphics card. A Radeon VE is on GeForce 2 MX niveau. This wasnīt even fast enough to play Gothic 1 at the full 23 fps. Current 100 $ cards are easily 5 times as fast.
If you want a piece of advice: Every low budget system for 500$ is significantly better and clearly faster than your current system. (Of course you should check the components before you buy something. Here in the forums are enough qualified members who can make sure you donīt buy crap.)
Even a minimum upgrade (AMD AthlonXP ~2.500+ & a cheap mobo, 512 MB DDR RAM plus a decent graphics card; the rest can be recycled without dramatic performance impact) for ~280 $ would give you a lot more speed. In this case you would need somebody who can install the parts for you and reinstall the WinXP, if this is possible with your version. If your version canīt be transfered youīre probably better off with a new PC and ebaying the old one.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:29 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for help Wulf. I just try to learn as much as I can here. You guys are very smart and help me a lot.
Thanks Gorath. I can play it well enough to enjoy for sure. And a new pc is what I have been considering for a while. What would be things to get for gaming in a new setup. Or should I ask in another forum. I would want to keep my current screen. It's a 19in. FPD1810. The rest I would replace. I liked Gateway, but I think I got ripped off in the sale. They have great customer asst. I will say that. But I think the guy saw me coming for the sale. Tell me you would want for yourself, and when I start checking out prices and stuff, I'll come back and ask more specific questions about where I might need to cut cornors to save money. I spent a lot for this one when I got it, but that was years ago. I would rather spend a little more and have it last longer and be upgradeable as well. I had to install Winxp upgrade onto this one, so you know I will need a new OS for any machine I get. So I might as well start new.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:05 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
I would rather spend a little more and have it last longer and be upgradeable as well. I had to install Winxp upgrade onto this one, so you know I will need a new OS for any machine I get. So I might as well start new.

Only buy an expensive computer if itīs tax deductable. Otherwise ignore the upgrade aspect. In a year or two when you could think about an upgrade the new part will be cheaper than upgrades for old parts.

What manufacturer you choose doesnīt really matter. All are assembleing the same parts from Taiwan and China.
Old rule of thumb is: invest about an equal amount of money in CPU, RAM and graphics card, because the weakest part determines the performance. Putting your old graphics card in a new PC, for example, would probably waste about 90% of the performance and make the whole upgrade worthless.

You could dig up some price lists for parts on the net and start building a machine around a 3 GHz CPU, a 70$ mobo, an ATI Radeon 9800 ('pure' or Pro, not SE or AIW), a big hard disk and 2* 512 MB PC 400 DDR RAM.

Especially graphics cards have to be double checked. ATI and NVidia sell cards with similar names to different market segments.

Donīt buy anything you donīt need. No TV card, etc. If you donīt have it it canīt make trouble.
Good-enough sound cards are on the mobo nowadays. Only buy a better card if you have an adequate sound system to use it.

If you have a small store near you who can assembele single PCs this would proably be the best choice. It wonīt be cheaper there, but you will have more control than on a mass volume product.

Another apect is noise. Believe me, you donīt want to have a 60 dBA fan on a graphics card.
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:31 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the tips. The same price for the three parts is easy to remember. I think when I get ready, I'll get some specs and prices from a few places and then come back and ask for advice. It will be a while. We have a lot of remodeling we want to get done here so I'll be locked into thatl Thanks again. I learn something new here every day.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:11 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there cmckj50.

It was never my intention to "sell you a new p.c machine, but to the contrary
to try and maybe help with problem of "jerkyness" with your current p.c setup
and in answer to your question, it is still worth a try - - and at no extra cost.
Consider this, when a mem chip runs flat out then it cannot run any faster
but it can run SLOWER. Therefore if a stick of fast mem and a stick of slow mem share the same mem bus, then they would both run at the slower speed.
This is absolute fact, no argument.
You would have nothing to lose by removing the 2 128 sticks and putting your 2 256 sticks ONLY in slot 0.

You may see some improvement or maybe none, and if you found it slower than "normal" then you would know the "salesman" sold you slower mem.

I will be away for a few days but i would be most interested (as would others)
i am sure, at the result.

Good luck - - - Wulf
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:19 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Therefore if a stick of fast mem and a stick of slow mem share the same mem bus, then they would both run at the slower speed.

Very true, but...
quote:
You would have nothing to lose by removing the 2 128 sticks and putting your 2 256 sticks ONLY in slot 0.

...I can not agree with you on this, not in general at least. In this particular case, if the two other sticks are really slower, the rational thing would be to remove them. A total of 512 Mb should cover the needs for at least a while...

But, in general, you would probably go for a larger amount of memory, especially if it is about or lower than 512 Mb. Any smaller than that, and it would be getting full most of the time, and the system will be "forced" to use the swap. You will agree that even the slowest memory is faster than a hdd.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:13 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next