View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
harlec
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Monastery Madness

Hi All!
Startet a new party yesterday. Elf Mage, Mook Ranger and Hobbit Samurai, all startet as Ninja for Stealth Training and will change class when good enough! Monastery is hard, Training is even harder, because of lack of Heal Spells, but nevertheless i startet running through the monastery. Just as my little party reached lvl 2 and engaged a single green slime for stealth training everything went bad....round the corner came the little slime´s friends: 3 Green Slimes, 3 Green Slimes, 4 Green Slimes, 2 Green Slimes, 4 Green Slimes, 1 Green Slime and 5 Rats!!!!!!!!! Plus the one i was already battling. For a single level 2 party!!! now thats what i call overkill!
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

For lower monastery stealth training, I like the spiders in the area where you open the gate to the upper monastery.

For the upper monastery, I like the seeker rooms - especially the one with the little pool in the middle as you can get really far away from the seeker so that they miss often.
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:07 pm
harlec
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

good idea! its to early to start stealth training where i started, especially if you have no healer. not sure if its gonna work at all. but sounded like an interesting party: hobbit sam for ik, mook ranger for ranged crits and elf bishop for buffs. all maxed speed and 100 stealth. any suggestions?
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Since your asking...

For a stealth party, I usually start them in the class that they will end up. For level 4, I make them Rogues. Waiting until level 4 to do the training makes it a little easier because they will have more hitpoints. I also try to have enough experience to take them to level 5 after I'm done with the training. Switching to Rogue allows me to train both Stealth and Shield skills. I usually train in the seeker room that I talked about above.

EDIT: BTW, do not be surprised if you get a little bored with a stealth party. The battles because a lot easier and monsters will even run away for no apparent reason because they cannot "see" you at times. Just something to be aware of...
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 pm
harlec
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

good advice! probably i´ll start from scratch. and i know exactly what you mean with boredom because of high stealth. the only working way to level at ascension peak was to camp without buffs and shadow hound and let the monsters surprise you. everything that wasn´t dead after 5 rounds (not much startet to flee...geee, that really sucked. but i really like that stealthy, fast attack style of play, so i guess i have to endure cowardly monsters...and by the way: coc is really too powerful, i switched to twin wand of spirits at level 36 for at least some fun!
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:19 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Dumb question......how do you do "stealth training"?
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:08 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Unequip all weapons. Start a fight. Put the battle on continuous. As combat procedes, your stealth skill will go up (slowly). I watch the battle every 30 minutes or so at first to make sure the characters do not need healing. After a while, the monsters hardly ever hit as the skill go up. At this point, I let it go overnight.
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:16 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

yuck....too cheap for my taste
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:52 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I never did much training either. About the only thing I've ever done is cast a bunch of knock-knocks at the bank vault. That was hands-on, and I got pretty bored with it after 15 minutes or so.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:40 pm