Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Poll: Will Morrowind wax the floor with Gothic? Yes or No?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Actually, I believe the term is "Grown down". Games are not as sophisticated as they once were. I grew up with CRPGs. Mostly the Gold box games (Pool of radiance and Azure bonds were my two favorite Commodore 64 games). Although I did initially start following the hobby when I bought Ultima Exodus.

Games have changed, but they require that old folks such as me "Grown down" and begin thinking like children with short attention spans. I'm not taking anything away from "Diablo-style" games, but really, how long do they last?

I've been playing Daggerfall for six years, having beaten in four complete times, and I have only gone through Diablo twice. (Once with a Barbarian, then again with the mighty Amazon)

Daggerfall was a flawless game, you just have to know how to set up your PC to play it. I devoted an entire PC to playing it, and since I'm a grizzled DOS gamer, I'll tell you what you need to do.

You need to either set up a dual boot and install windows 98 as a secondary O/S on your XP computer, or find an old PC and use Windows 98 with that one. Then go into your autoexec.bat and tell your PC to use your base system ram as Extended Memory. I forget the actual command, but if you want, I'll go downstairs and open up the Autoexec.bat on my old PC to find out. Once you do that, you'll never have another crash again. I have played it for hours on end without so much as the tiniest bug.

This is part of a greater problem though. The "Dumbing down" of games is what caused me to stop playing console games. Once the Dreamcast died, I knew my only option was to suffer through inept PS2 games that demand lightning fast reflexes and/or massive amounts of free time, both of which I am sorely lacking.

And, really, in a way, you did prove my point about teenagers. You simply cannot accept a game with poor graphics (ie: Daggerfall) Then again, if thats true, why did you enjoy Gothic? It's strange, since both Gothic and Daggerfall share many of the same gameplay mechanics. Ah well.

Guess I made a mistake by coming here. I know better then to mess around with the common net rabble, silly me, after 6 years, I still haven't learned my lesson.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:58 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Regarding why this topic was reopened: Nobody informed the admins . The admin saw that this page go some hits from the official Morrowind forum. He reopened it to allow discussion of the (yet false) statement that content was dropped from Morrowind due to the XBox version of the game. The admin has been in contact with some guys from Bethsoft for years, closely following the development of the game (in fact, this site was the first one to post Morrowind artwork back in 1999). So the admin knew that nothing was dropped

Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:18 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Intelligent 'conversation' is always welcomed.

I shall respond to your comments in an unorderly fashion.

I enjoyed Gothic mostly because of the atmosphere, the camps, the barrier, the voice acting.

I don't paticulairly like the Diablo-style all too much, but Diablo-style games are very entertaing, if you want to try to hack the servers. One of my friends, known simply as Zeezo, has duped over 700 of the best items on the Diablo 2 closed realms, doing this gave me about another week's worth of entertainment out of the game.

Thank you for offering to help with Daggerfall. Though I can live with low pixel counts in a certain movie on my hard drive, (see user name) I do not think that I could possibly survive that sword-weilding system on top of countable pixels. I am sorry.

I wouldn't call it the 'Dumbing down' but rather the 'Speeding up and Dumbing down' instead of interacting with monsters at low speeds, and (presumably) thinking between actions, you must now stop thinking and work with reflex alone. Though this can be rewarding in the short term, all you end up with is basically a sore hand.

Again: Intelligent 'conversation' is always welcomed.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:20 am
Brummbar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry about that. I worded that statement about dropped content as if it was a fact and not a rumor. I should have gone into more detail.

What I've read was nudity mature themes etc being dropped from the game to give it a teen rating for XBox. Not that parts of the game were dropped. I haven't read any offical posts from Bethesda about it so it could be just rumors.

[ This Message was edited by: Brummbar on 2002-02-16 05:30 ]
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:26 am
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well...I don't know either,I'm not one of the Bethesda dev's.
Dropping content vs. aiming for an audience is two different things though.
PB had to change Gothic for the non-German version.(in actuality,they changed it for the US,rest of Europe wouldn't care too much about a naked babe taking a bath)
They also dropped some content,this is prob. not due to anything with rating though...(maybe those quests usually bugged out or something...not very important ones anyway)
Bethesda OTOH seems to have aimed for a wider audience and therefore not included nudity...but that's not really dropping anything...

About getting a spoon to eat (whoever's a$$) that'll only happen if you havee one like RoseVixen mate...

Fanboy is imho a swearing word,it equals fanatic just like with religious fanatics...
As long as there's a conversation going where people listen none of them are fanboys even though they would be biased towards their game/HW/whatever.

These are two different games and I'd say comparing Gothic to MW is about as valid as the comparing of NWN and MW...
If somebody doesn't like Gothic I won't say they're wrong,it's their opinion...
I like Gothic and I'm planning to get MW too...and I won't compare them,I'll do what I always do,I judge the game by itself and make up my mind if I like it.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:29 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3