Grimoire-Beta Test Updates
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Grimoire-Beta Test Updates

I promised in another thread to keep people updated about the Grimoire Beta Test, and hopefully the other people playing it will add to this as well.

The test is well underway and everyone involved is having an interesting time. While we have discovered plenty of annoying little bugs like your gold counter resetting to 0 from time to time (though you didn't actually lose your gold, it was all still there after a reload), there have been almost no major bugs that would bring the game to a screeching halt.

Most of the newbies in the testing group have complained about how difficult getting started is. Character creation is complex and since the manual hasn't been written yet there's not much help for a first timer. Creating a varied party is ESSENTIAL to success in the game so we have been getting plenty of suggestions as to how to help new players through this part of the game.

The other regular comment from new players is just how challenging the game is. You have to think, plan, and use strategy in most of the combats or you will die very quickly. The testers have been discussing various options to assist first time players to avoid total frustration in the initial parts of the game. However, Cleve refuses to dumb down the game to a 'lowest common denominator'.

All in all, everything is going well. Cleve plans an update patch very soon which will correct most of the bugs we've already found, and he then plans to continue updating every few weeks during the testing period to ensure as bug free a release as it's possible to do.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:11 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Great, it seems they will deliver high quality game (and of course also thanks to you :]).
I'm really looking forward...
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:47 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The learning curve for the game is certainly steep, but after a while you start to get the hang of it. Seems like it's going to be good fun for fans of "old school RPGs".

Cleve's taken a ton of crap over this game for years now. It's pleasant to see that he's stuck with it. His passion for his creation is clear in his responsiveness to the questions and concerns of his testers.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:13 pm
peterb
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Grimoire will be released on about the same day as pigs fly, hell freezes over, and I am crowned Queen of England.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:40 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Nothing quite like uninformed idiocy...
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:07 am
theverybigslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for the good news, Corwin!
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:15 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

how does it compare to say.. might and magic 7? like about what technology level is it at?

it seems like bards tale type tech from the screenshots
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:25 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

It reminds me of a cross between M&M 5 and Wiz 8 ... with many more stats per charcter than either of those. It is truely an 'old style' interface and game! Lots of stuff going on ... am still not sure what some of the stats are for!!

Have put in about 8 hours so far, and am having quite a bit of fun, however, this is not a game for gamers who want to be spoon fed! A manual would be a great help (oh my, would that help). Some of the mechanics are very new to me ... I am still not 100% sure how to 'use' an item, and there are some tough parts to think your way through ... but it *can* be done.

All in all, I think the finished product will be worth having waited for ... and I still haven't even gotten into the story line yet!
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:58 am
theverybigslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A cross between M&M 5 and Wizardry 8? It sounds great. Anyway, I do not care about the graphics, I am recently playing Wizardry 6.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:16 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What about some screenshots? Instead of saying what type of graphics the game has, just post a few screenies. If the game is insanely difficult, it won't get more than a couple of hundred registrations. Cleve may or may not care about that though. I'm not sure if he is wanting the game to succeed commercially or not. My biggest concern about the game is whether Cleve was able to keep his personal beliefs out of the plot. If not, the game definitely won't be worth purchasing, regardless of how good the magic and combat systems turn out to be. To those who are testing, does it just seem to be a game, or does there seem to be a "message" to the masses.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I find Cleve's politics to be a bit extreme as well. So far (and keep in mind I've barely scratched the surface after ~15 hours) I've seen absolutely no "propaganda".
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 pm
corwin

Having played through the game previously, I can't recall any politics at all. It's a GAME, nothing more. Also, it's NOT insanely difficult, it's challenging on many fronts. Look, if you enjoyed the Wizardry series, this is very similar and the difficulty is about the same. It's scalable too in the options/configuration

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:07 am
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It's good to hear an old school RPG without dumb-down difficulty for average people.I'm thirsty for a real hardcore game.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:20 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is this the Grimoire of which you speak? Everytime a screen from this is my pic of the moment, I click on it thinking I missed playing an old school RPG. Nice to know there is one more to look forward to.
LB
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:52 pm
corwin

Sure is, I loaded in most of those pics myself!! I've been playing it for nearly 30 hours, I know what to do and I've still not finished the FREE shareware part of the game. It's like the Tip of the Iceberg, there's just so much more!!

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next