FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Middle Earth (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Peter Karstens

I am a Lord of the Rings freak. If they don't make this game, it'll make me angry. Thank you.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:28 pm

Ammon77

same here man, same here
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:50 am

Stellerwinds

If its just another clone then best it die. <br> <br>Here are some requirments for a middle earth mmorpg. <br>1. No mage class- magic was exceptionally rare in the books. No one just picked up the skill. And not only that it wasnt even very clear, dazzling affects were more often than not, not even magic (fireworks were just fireworks). <br>2. NPCs need to be amazing- The only reason i would want to play in middle earth is if it actually felt like middle earth. That means all the npc's have to speak correctly and know the lore of the world. <br>3. Perfect landscape- all the old landmarks have to be there and true to the book. <br> <br>I'm sick of the nonexistant RP to every mmorpg. The only reason to play in a middle earth mmorpg is to actually feel like you are part of middle earth. And that can only be arrived at through incrible role playing interaction. That means a central story line, very deep and interactive npcs and a deep sense of immersion into the world. <br> <br>None of this has anything to do with levels or skills or combat yet, all the things that the past mmorpgs are Entirely about. <br> <br>Basically if i see one mention of combat or classes when news of middle earth comes out, before i hear about those other things, im not gonna even pay attention.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:17 pm

Ammon777

They re-announced this with the name Lord of the Rings Online. It sounds very positive that they will be making this now, only with different team.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:34 am

FingolfinWasAlreadyTaken

Yep

I too am a Tolkien freak. If they don't make this game it would make me very angry but I'd be even angrier if they make it and mess stuff up. Nothing put into this game should be from anywhere but the books and what Tolkien himself said. And as Stellerwinds said, there should be no magic in the game unless they include Maiar which would make the game very unbalanced. I'd hate to be a dwarf wandering around killing goblins or mining ore and have a Balrog jump my a$$.

That said, I think that if they do make this game well it'll be the best game ever and consume ALL of my spare time.

Yay
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:40 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

turbine is making MEO, so im not holding my breath for this one. turbine made asherons call 2 which is a poor excuse for a mmorpg. i dont have much trust in turbine and i dont believe they will do any better with a LorR liscense. if tolkien enterprises had any brains they would have hired a better company to do it like lucasarts or somebody else who is cool...
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:16 am
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Actually, Turbine was taken off the list long, long ago. Chris Taylor (Dungeon Siege) is in charge now. Here's the link...

http://www.gamerifts.com/sections/interviews/meo.shtml

There have been some rumors that the AC2 Graphics engine will be used however (can you think of a better graphics engine?)
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:06 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

oh thank goodness..
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:44 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Stellerwinds, after reading your post I am convinced that you are right about what the game should be, and also extremely skeptical that it will live up to those standards. I know nothing about what they have going so far (I hate following games near the beginning when they're promising the world) but its hard to imagine a game (especially a mmorpg) turning out like that.

If they really changed the name from Middle Earth Online to Lord of the Rings Online, that suggests to me that maybe they're not so much focused on being true to the world, but more on attracting the attention of the masses. Like I said, I don't know any more about the game than anyone else so I'm not saying the game won't turn out well. I'm just speculating and have my doubts.

[Edit] I just read the interview with Chris Taylor that was linked by Scott and I guess his answers were ok, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:57 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Unless i see an official website, an adequate internet presence, that has information about the game, im not going to give this one even a glance. There will be other great mmorpgs soon, and if they mess up Middle Earth Online, well, i will be disappointed, but not lacking in game choices. What is slated for 2004 so far? Warhammer Online for sure, maybe World of Warcraft, probably Everquest2, maybe Dragon Empires if it isnt slated for late 2003, possibly Darkfall under the same condition, most probably Trials of Ascension, numerous others and definately additional mmorpgs that we havent even started hearing about yet. My point is this: they had better make MEO competitive, and that means having a fanbase. If they mess this up, i have doubts that we will ever see a good mmorpg based on Tolkien within the next 10 to 20 years... So Chris Taylor better not mess it up.
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:41 am
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dont forget Gary Gygax's(yes the D&D mastermind) Lejendary Adventures

http://di.gamepoint.net/lejendary/en/index.php?page=news

Now, if we could just teach him how to spell Lol
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:11 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

yeah thanks, i completely forgot about that one, since i'm not very interested in it...
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:46 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

This has some potential. I hate MMORPGS. But I'll give this a shot. Hopefully it sticks to the source material of Professor Tolkien...ie these 18 books...

Hobbit
LOTR(1,2,3)
Simarillion
Unfinished Tales
12 volumes of the History of Middle Earth

Keep your fingers crossed folks...
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:05 am
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Everything looks good so far. IMO, they appear to be not just putting something out there, but we'll see of course.

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:18 am