Usergroups
Lionheart?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I have a first impression based just on walking around the city.

This is an infinity engine game, much less different than there is similar. It even loads at the same times. Click into a house etc. You only have one character though.

Everything is handled like icewind dale 2. There is a backdrop and you drag your cursor over it looking for items to interact with. The characters are the exact same size as icewind dale characters.

The conversation tree thing does look different but its the same thing.

It doesnt use D and D it uses a detailed fallout type character making thing, which was orignally based on the pen and paper game GURPS.

It moves very fast.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:37 am
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The combat so far has been above par with the demo, but I'm playing with the pre-generated male human and haven't gotten a ranged weapon or spell, if thats possible, yet.

That's the very thing that cheeses me off about the infinity games. They are so biased towards the 'fighter' class. Baldur's gate and NeverWinter nights were the same.
From the comments I've read here and on other forums, I think I'll give this game a miss. Which is a shame, because the story sounds really interesting.
I remember when I first heard about this game, I got really excited, until I found out who was making it. My experiences with their other titles (see above) have not been happy ones.
My favourite class to play, in any RPG, is the long-range Mage, or barring that, a bow using Ranger. It totally confounds me, why these particular games so blatantly discriminate against any character but a fighter.
Ah well! Looks like I'll have to wait for 'Sacred' and the thoroughly delicious sounding 'The Bloody Magic'.

Cheers
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:12 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Hmmm... I wouldn't agree with opinion that Infinity and Aurora games are fighter-biased. Wizards are my favorite, too, and I found it rather fun to play wizards in all Infinity/Aurora games. I finished NWN with a wizard and it was a joke, really. I started second time with a thief and had some hard times. Now I play Shadows of Undrentide - with a wizard again. I believe that in fact soloing with a wizard can be easier than with a fighter, at least after level 3 spells become available, simply because you can use mass destruction spells and don't care about your companions sharing the fate of the dying monsters

I haven't got Lionheart just yet so I cannot comment on this one. Demo made me feel that yes, it is a bit combat-heavy, but again, I didn't try hard enough to play through the demo to say smth. important

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:36 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, for the first 10 or 15 hours or so, I was having fun with the game. I am playing a Ranger type with an agility and intelligence of 10.
My biggest skills are Ranged weapons, evasion, and one handed melee. I also have a minor focus on lockpicking and diplomacy.

My biggest problem with the demo was the speed of the combat. However, with an agility of 10, it becomes managable and even fun at times. Add to that certain perks that increase your rate of fire and you'll see that it is definitely possible to play as an archer (which I thought we be a problem initially).

The voice acting and dialgoue are good, though the quests themselves ( save for a few) are uninspiring.

The bad news is that I am in the 2nd half of the game now (I think), and I have to say that there is just too much combat. It has become boring. For example, there is a place you have to go to as part of the main plot and it consists of a dungeon that just goes on too long. Over and over again the same kinds of monsters. It would be different if there were some puzzles, encounters, etc. to provide some breaks in the action -- but no such luck. Just loads and loads of hack and slash.

The combat is challenging and there is a good variety of items to spice things up, but enough is enough. It was fun for a while but now it is tedious.

I guess I will try to finish eventually. I've just had enough for today.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2