Usergroups
finished game, few complaints
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
rhettburns
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's not just this game that does it but I hate how by the time you finally get some cool armor and weapons and your pretty bad ass, the freakin game is over.

I had to go to the oc and sect camp and kill everyone just to enjoy my sword that lights people on fire. U9 had a much better armor selection, and the artwork was much better in all aspects (especially the sky effects, sometimes I would just sit there and watch the sunset)but that's about it it was a buggy peice of shit but it wasn't origins fault, EA fucked everybody over on what could have been a great game . This game (gothic) had great monsters, just not enough of them. And I ended the game with over 10,000 ore and hundreds of potions, it was way too easy. Also, the game gives you so many different swords and axes that are so powerful that it made no sense, I think the last ones were like 88/90/92/94/96/98/100 damage. You found a cool weapon but never got to use it because in like the next cave or chest was a better one, anyway, just some of my gripes. Over all it was fun.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:33 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

It all depends upon how much time you offer the game.
I played this game, exploring every part of the colony, even before the first chapter. I collected enough XP to reach level 35, and I had a nifty 210 strength at the end...

But if you just go on, without exploring enough, then the game will be much harder.

I really dont have the nerve to request more beauty in this game. I think its look really good for being a RPG.

I had the chance to update my armor many times during the game. Even as a mage you may update five times, wich is alot compared to other games.

That also included my weapons.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:53 am
swift
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well the bug when u can enter the castle and steal all the ore u ever need in the game from the ore baron's chests is the worst bug u can have in a game

like lvl 2 u can get all u wanted..

and beating up npc's was left WAY TOO EASY

maybe a month more of betatesting would have made this title one of the best ever...
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:47 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Swift
-----
Thats not a bug. Its the award for being a good thief and an award for you who have taken your time to explore.

And beating up others is not a bug either. Only decent warriors can do it, as a mage/ranger its impossible without killing them.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:55 pm
rhettburns
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am sorry if I came off like the game didn't look good, it looked very good, especially some of the magic spells and scenery. I went to look at some screenshots of Morrowind, now that game looks incredible, think I will hold off on gaming till that one comes out.

Does anyone know if they are making a sequel to Hitman ( I know it's completely unrelated in this topic).
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:15 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Ah, the "I shalt only play one game" religion.

I follow the "I shalt play as many as I can" religion. Just grabbed Wizardry 8... Then I still have a few levels left of Wolfenstein...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:31 pm

Yes they are making a sequel to Hitman. It's title is Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. If you want more info, check out this site:
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hitman47/
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:48 pm

rhettburns
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you.

Yeah, if I get into too many games my social life suffers a lot, my room fills with garbage and clothes piles, my friends think I have been abducted.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:55 pm
Thief_3_Wannabe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

**Warning Spoilers**

I just finished this game myself and was only a bit dissapointed at its ending. I mean shouldnt the sleeper be more powerfull than just lull a fireball at you every 10 seconds? And those demons that appear after you kill a heart were a joke, you could just run out of the room and jump over that crack and the things would just stand there at the crack whilst you fire arrows or magic at em. The sleeper was supposed to be able to defeat rival Orc tribes or something right?

Another thing, I was expecting to be able to travel outside the barrier after it had fallen. After all I had about 10,000 of those damned coins and I thought hmmmm..."I guess getting the barrier down is only the begining since I get to spend these coins once I get out of here".

What I would of liked to see was once the barrier had fallen the orc armies invade and all 3 camps band together to try and fend them off. But as always I expect to much. =P

Anyway I myself am nearing the end of Wolfenstien, people say its to short but Im satisfied with its length..... to bad there's no level editor. =(
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:07 pm
Bourrie
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:

On 2001-12-10 12:07, Thief_3_Wannabe wrote:
**Warning Spoilers**

I just finished this game myself and was only a bit dissapointed at its ending. I mean shouldnt the sleeper be more powerfull than just lull a fireball at you every 10 seconds? And those demons that appear after you kill a heart were a joke, you could just run out of the room and jump over that crack and the things would just stand there at the crack whilst you fire arrows or magic at em. The sleeper was supposed to be able to defeat rival Orc tribes or something right?

Another thing, I was expecting to be able to travel outside the barrier after it had fallen. After all I had about 10,000 of those damned coins and I thought hmmmm..."I guess getting the barrier down is only the begining since I get to spend these coins once I get out of here".

What I would of liked to see was once the barrier had fallen the orc armies invade and all 3 camps band together to try and fend them off. But as always I expect to much. =P

The end is the beginning of a sequel and the sequel is near completion!

Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:32 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Thief_3_Wannabe
---------------

I liked the ending, since I know that there will be a sequel. =)

Id like to know what happened with my friends Gorn, Milton, Diego and Lester thou...

The coins is a really funny red herring Not unlike the money in Fallout 2.

It took the programmers three years to do a game so complete as it is. You cannot say that you had few options within the barrier... Few games are so filled with 'interactivity' as this game is... =)

Tried to jump down into a barrel sometime? Or pump the oven?
Totally useless yes, but it does work... And thats what makes this game, in my opionion...

Normally in theese types of games the objects are static and cold =(

Bourrie
-------
Near completion? I knew that a game where in production, and I heard rumours that it would use the http://www.codecult.com engine... However, that engine is to advanced to be used on the current computer hardware, wich makes me expect Gothic Two in a year or two (when the computers are good enough to use the engine).

14fps on a 1,3Ghz Athlon with GF3...
But it does look nice...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:40 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

PB asked for beta testers 2 months ago. Of course without info about a certain game, so it could also be a shooter or something else covered by the JoWood deal.

Another info bit, also 2 months old: the webmaster of gothic.gomp.net posted in his forum that he played the sequel when he visited PB.

14 fps? Man, you are losing some serious performance somewhere.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-12-10 19:37 ]
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:34 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Thats 14fps on the NEW engine.

Check out CodeCult's website if you dont believe me
After seen the screenshots and watching the movie I am prepared to believe that number. It would require a tremendous amount of power to make that engine fluid.

Betatesting have begun... That might be a german version popping up next summer or so...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:24 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ups, seems I took this fps thing slightly out of context.

Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:30 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Accepted... =)
Gothic runs very smooth on my machine. =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:54 am