Mac
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Thread
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

What really disturbs me when using MacOS is the lack of the right mousebutton. I donīt think I realize how much I use it, until itīs gone. And the taskbar. Itīs so wonderfully easy to minimize a window in Windows , I canīt believe they havenīt thought of it until now, in MacOS X.
My conclusion is that people say MacOS is easier to use based on the fact that there are less options.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:23 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

A wise man once told me Mac's are better for high end design work (like architecture designs) and PC is better for everything else. I don't use any high end stuff, I only need Office and games, so I think PC's the way to go (of course I could be wrong about the Mac comment- I haven't ever used one).

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

If I remember correctly, with the Mac you have to keep the mouse button held down or menus snap back up. When you're not sure where the option is you're looking for, I found it a lot harder to browse around the menus.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:11 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
I don't use any high end stuff, I only need Office and games, so I think PC's the way to go (of course I could be wrong about the Mac comment- I haven't ever used one).

That's the dilemma, because if you're a real games nut, your PC probably is fit for the toughest, highest end pounding by almost any business software. In fact, your setup would probably cost a little more than a regular Mac and STILL can't do some things the Mac can. But is it worth it? HELL YEAH!

With only 100+ games in the entire Mac inventory, who are you kidding.

I tell you what... if all the newest games get released the same time for Mac and PC, I'll consider getting a Mac. If Macs do that AND have more games than PC, I'll switch over immediately! Until then a lot of their boastful words are crap! As though my PC crashes every day, or can't handle images or can't do video editing!
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:25 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I haven't touched a Mac in a few years, but here's a quick comparison between the two:
1) Price: Mac more expensive.
2) Speed: Varies by application, but according to magazine benchmark tests I've read, for most applications that run in native mode on both platforms the PC is slightly faster. Macs have some PC emulation capability, but that's not a fair comparison, as obviously the extra interpretation would skew the comparison.
3) Upgradability - PC has more options; Mac it's easier to do.
4) Software - PC has far more available; Mac software for graphics and video are far superior to their PC cousins.
5) OS Stability - Mac wins hands down. Far fewer crashes. Far harder to muck something up to force a reinstall of the OS.
6) Ease of use - Mac generally. But it depends on what you're used to. As Dhruin said, you have to hold down the mouse button to navigate through menus. As a Mac programmer pre-windows 95, I remember Mac users making fun of Windows - the menus in Windows are for people who can't handle a mouse. Haven't seen OS X, but Windows deliberately reversed a lot of things (e.g.. Mac close windows button is in upper left; Windows in upper right) so it wouldn't be such a copy.

For what I want now, which includes gaming, I'll stick with my PC. If I ever go back to graphics intensive work, I'm definitely want a Mac for it.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:09 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I wouldn't spit on Mac's, but PC is what i use at work and at home.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:03 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I know what a PC is, but what's a "Mac"? Is it the smaller version of a "Big Mac"? LOL
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:49 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I haven't used Macs in years, except when I have to use the internet from the university library. For me, the philosophy 'what ever get's the job done' applies. I work with people who use Macs because they are better in the job.

On the other hand, the lack of games and my geekiness-factor makes me a PC user. Also, my love for Linux won't just go away even if the gaming side of Mac grew bigger. Also, what's with the one-button mouse? I never understood that thing. Although the macs I use in university have more than just one button. Never tried to see if they have any effect, though.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:08 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Anytime I tried a Mac, I just felt like I was on a lesser product, likr its stuck in the early 90's. It almost felt like a bunch of college students got together and "made a computer", it just doesnt feel like a finished product to me. I need 3 mouse buttons and a wheel,too ='.'= Windows has evolved a number of times also, from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95/98 to Windows ME/2000/NT to Win XP represents some fundamental changes in their os. How many versions of the Mac OS is there? Ive only messed around on one a few times, years apart, and it looked the same to me.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:43 am
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

@Sam Well. Right now they are on MacOS X.. That is number 10 so the differance is not that big there. And when microsoft first made windows they stole a lot of the design from MacOs.
Both of them don't want to change the design on their OS since people have learnt one system and don't want to learn anything new the looks wont change much.
About the mouse. I hope you all knew that it is a swedish invention

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:40 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I know what a PC is, but what's a "Mac"? Is it the smaller version of a "Big Mac"? LOL

Mac is short for Macintosh, which is of course, an apple. Red, crisp, juicy, sweet, commonly grown in North America.

Incidentally, Apple the company made a second generation line of computers called the Macintosh. Today's hot seller is the iMac, drawing from the Macintosh name.

BTW, Apple did want to name one of their computers the Big Mac in the mid 80's. However, threats of litigation by another big company already using that name halted that idea in its tracks.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:17 pm
-Rattlesnake-
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

What do you mean it "feels like an inferior machine?" I don't honestly see what you can determine from simply using a computer for a little while other than it's load times, ease of use and graphics. Macs certainly do have a different feel, seeing as they have a different user interface, but difference doesn't necessarily mean inferior.

Also, it should be noted that the Windows system was stolen from Macintosh by Bill Gates.
Every man returns to dust

-Phish, Farmhouse
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:56 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

All hail the Swedes, where would we be without Mouses!
Tabbing? ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:19 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by -Rattlesnake-
Also, it should be noted that the Windows system was stolen from Macintosh by Bill Gates.

Steve Jobs accused Gates of stealing a lot of ideas from Apple. There was a suit but Apple retracted when the defendants showed proof that many of Apple's own ideas had been 'borrowed' from various other companies.

BTW the original Mac OS concept was borrowed from Xerox.
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:44 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I saw a documentary on computers' early years of development, and Steve Jobs seemed like a major jerk, at least thats how he was portrayed. He reminded me of Dave Mustaine, Mr Ego. And like Mustaine, he got to watch his former comrades achieve stellar success without him, much to his chagrin! Xerox got the biggest raw deal of anyone, like you said
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next