Help with Ylisde fighting - spoilers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Help with Ylisde fighting - spoilers

i have the 2 rings needed to destroy that meteor. I made my way into the hideout place in that bar. I walk in thinking the usual priests would be there, but i was confronted by this psycho in dodges my swing with ease and smashes my head in while i'm pounding the h button hoping for a second chance to come at him again.

Is there any technique used to beat them up ? I'm finding near impossible to smash them. Their armor takes almost 50% of my blows to them. I unleashed a fire ball or 2 before we engaged. I have a two handed damage 11 sword. Plate armor, mithril helmet..etc
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:09 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Fighting the Ylisde

If you read the old posts in the forum you will find several theories on killing them. At this spot, I liked to hide and wait for him to walk down the hall at me, and then hit him with two or three fireballs right in a row. Be sure to aim for the head. I don't know what level you are, but if you can check your stats and level up soon, I'd do that first. Take a tour and do a few side quests if you can first. Those guys are hard to kill without the strenght and dexterity as high as you can get it. Good luck. Hope this helps a little.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:16 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

level 5 :/

thanks for your help
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:28 am
dave9
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

phalanx
I used the incinerate spell AAM MEAG YOK AND paralyze level 9 MEAG NHI MOVIS ALSO YOU CAN USE FREEZE TIME OR SLOW DOWN RHAA MOVIS there is another paralyze spell level 6 NHI MOVIS cheers dave.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:37 pm
Ornedan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just blow them up with a single fireball. 18 int & 90 magic
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:10 pm
Magnus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I used a fire field and behind that a force field to hold him in the fire field. I had very low magic 8 INT 14 magic. After this there only remained a few hits with the sword. The fields must be in narrow areas so the fighter doesn´t pass it.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 2:57 pm
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heh...

That's what I do too! I just set a Fire Field and stand there trading blows. They do take a while to cook though. I was stupid enough to after using the password and entering at the area I shot at one with my bow and arrow. The first shot did nothin' - the thing flinched but didn't bother me. The second got it in the head and then I was getting my arse whupped. So I threw out a Fire Field and eventually it blew up. I got to limp away with a nice sword. Would've been nice to have the armor too...

That was funny, but summoning a demon against the Lich in the Crypt, and getting a chicken - now THAT was the funniest things yet!
Deathbliss

Evolution is just further proof of the fact,
That mankind is willing to believe in anything,
As long as it doesn't have to believe in God.
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:12 am
FreakFire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ARGH! Whats up with that fable add? I understand sponsoring is important, but this one pops up with almost anything I do on the forum... its annoying!!

Anyways... wanted to share my 2 cts...

I ran into the famous Ylisde on the return to the temple.. and what can I say...? They pretty much ruined a GREAT, GREAT game for me...

Im not new to RPG's, have been playing them for over 20 yrs, but I REALLY, REALLY hate these Ylisdes... Until this point Arx Fatalis was extremely enjoyable... there were some tough spots, but they were all reasonable... but with the Ylisdes I just die, and die, and die, and die, and die, and die...

Ive been training a lot (think Im level 6 or 7)... Ive explored everywhere I could go in the dungeon, did all the available side quests and still I keep dying... I have about 5 healing potions left, and pretty much all my skillpoints were spent on building a great hand to hand fighter (plus skills like object knowledge and disarm traps etc)... I never really bothered about investing in magic... and now I NEED magic to kill these guys???

Fighting them with my sword is NOT an option... most of my blows are absorbed by their armors, and they hit FAST, HARD and A LOT!!! And I die again...

WHAT TO DO???

Basically I feel like the game has punished me for making such a one sided character (a bad thing in an RPG, you should always have the freedom of playing any char you like), but I tend to like hand to hand combat a lot, am usually not a big fan of fidgeting with spells (I like the magic system in arx, but its too fiddly for me)... and now I run into enemies that are nearly impossible to kill using just my trusty sword and armor...

Im really frustrated about this.. there should be a workaround solution...?

ANY advice besides : train, do all the sidequest, get xp (ive all done this!)...

I loved it that Arx was really something else than all the other RPG's coming out lately, but the Ylisdes really ruined my (so far great) experience for me with this game... Im stuck, nothing left to do but die, die and die again...

Bah!

Sorry, just needed to blow off some steam!!!

Mike
Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:50 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Welcome to the Dot. Don't feel bad about the Fable ad problem. This is a new one for the Dot and the big guys are checking into it for us all.

Now as to the game. I never invested in casting and I did fine. You need to memorize three fireball spells into quick slots, and make sure you aim for the head. It does make a difference. At your level you should be able to do them in with that and maybe a few blows added in. You get magic skills automaticly with each level you gain.

Have you cleared out level 6 yet? That one gives a lot of xps. Anyway, not knowing what you have and haven't done makes it hard to advise. You can look at the PDF file which is a walkthrough and maps and all and look at the list of sidequests and see if you have done all you can. If you can level one more time put a few points in casting one time and that should be enough. Hope this helps. You will find a lot of goodies and more quests once you kill that one. If that was the first Ylisde, I think there is only in that area. I may be wrong, but once you get in the temple and do that stuff the first time, you won't see any more for a while. Good luck. Personally I think it will be worth it to you.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:53 am
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's nothin'!

Just wait until you disover that you can't destroy the meteor to get the powder to update your sword to beat the game. I placed a post here - no response - so Arx Fatalis remains unplayed and unbeat. It is now merel;y a colloctor's item - I'll wait 5 years and sell the damn thing for $100.00 or so at Ebay.
- Deathbliss

Evolution is just further proof of the fact,
That mankind is willing to believe in anything,
As long as it doesn't have to believe in God.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:10 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Deathbliss, I am sorry no one answered you post. I just did in that thread. I sent and email as well. Read other thread for more.

At FreakFire, what version are you playing, pc or xbox?
Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:58 am
FreakFire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey guys!

Thanks for the fast reply...

CM, I went to all the places I could go before going into the temple, cause I suspected it would be tough, so I went down and gathered some XP...

I didnt know you could quickslot more than 1 spell??? That would REALLY be a big advantage... I can cast fireball spells, but with manual casting it's still way too slow...

I really want to try again, because I really love this game so far!!!

BTW : Does it work to use guerilla tactics? I attacked, threw a fireball, added some sword swings and escaped the level... then I healed up, waited till my mana was fine again, quickslotted a fireball and went in again... I did this 4 or 5 times, but the guy didnt die.. do enemies heal up when you exit and reenter a level?

TNX!

Mike
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 pm
FreakFire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

CM, playing PC by the way!
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:32 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

FreakFire, if you hit them with the three fireballs all at same time you shouldn't have to worry. Later in game gurella tactics will be a must.
As to their healing, I think only a few did it but they alsways seemed to be the first one you meet. LOL

When you quickslot more than one spell, they will show lined up on the bottom left of your screen, above the inventory bar. They correspond to the number keys 1,2,3. However as you use the spell in slot 1, the rest roll over to refill slot one. So just hit the number 1 key three times in a row and you will have fired all of them.

I promise, three spells will get the guy.,then beat them down. Be sure you are using food to heal with as well. Save those potions. If you have a save from before you ever went in there I would reload from there and try it. Get all your heal potions back. Good luck. I hope that works for you. Let us know.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm
FreakFire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great! TNX CM!

I will try this NOW!

MIKE
Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:49 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next