Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Great game, but I don't like a couple of things...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Zerbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great game, but I don't like a couple of things...

After the first 5 hours of play I found 2 things that I don't like:
1) the map sucks IMHO, playing this game after wizardry is a little difficult, the best thing would be a sort of separate map for every "area" (maybe also a printable one )
2) the first monsters you meet look terrible and some of them are so tiny that you can be hit without even seeing them, not to mention that stupid flying things... is it me or you can't hear the enemy approaching?

Of course not knowing your enemy status is a big mistake by the programmers, but this has already been said...

Bye, Zerbus
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:50 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

1) I miss the ability to place notes... Without Notes I run past million of things on the way that I can not possible remember the location for... Its almost like I started to paint my own map on paper to remember places.

2) The monsters look ok, IMO. They look great actually... But without realtime shadows I agree that it would be impossible to watch out from attacks from above... I have realtime shadows on, so I see on the ground when something covers my sun.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:12 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

JemmyM

1] it is Bethesda mistake, but we still have things like paper and pencils.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 2:44 pm
Sage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like not knowing the enemy's status. It gives me a more real life feel.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:42 pm
Unholy Thief
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i agree that you should be able to place notes...especially when your new to a big city. i liked it in daggerfall when people would just add things to your map to make things easier.
i have no problem with the monsters though...they look great.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:11 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Well, the only thing that tells me that a monster doesnt feel too good, is that blood is coming from them when I hit them...

And I still cant come over the fact how much easier this game would have been if you where able to note down things on the map.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:15 pm
Charlesrp

my 2 cents

WARNING very vague spoiler ahead!!!

First things first, after 6 hours as a Mage...I love the game! But nothing in this world is perfect (except my baby daughter)

1) The journal does not keep track of everything. There are a couple of small quests in the starting town which never show up in your journal (the game never let me know if I completed the smuggler quest). This reminds me of Baldur's Gate; you had SO many quests going on at the same time all over the place that it was impossible to keep track of all the information

2)Notations for the map would be great, and necessary

3)I think there should be some kind of indication of the status of an NPC during combat. In reality, you would be able to see if someone was almost dead, wounded, or unharmed. Their number of hitpoints is not necessary, but a general status would be very help, like in BGII.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:46 pm

stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I haven't really made up my mind yet whether I think this is a good game. My first impressions are not great.

First: I discussed it earlier in another threat I just don't fancy First Person View so I had high hopes for the 3rd Person option. That was until I saw it. Damn it looks stupid. So I prefer FPV even tough combat still looks silly.

Second: What the hell is wrong with the engine? I have an Athlon T-bird 1333 Mhz, 512 mb ram and Geforce 4 Ti4400. The game is playable but outdoor is no way near to running smooth unless I choose low resolutions. It must be a joke that only people with 2 Ghz cpu's and 1GB of ram can play this game smoothly.

Well, it may still be a great game but this has ruined my initial experience.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:10 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Put your shadows little bit down. It will help a lot. Also use remove safedisk hack.
You can find link somewhere else. They say it really helps to improve your performance.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:42 pm
CarcusRex

I can get buy without knowing my oponent's condition during a fight but I would really like to know at least what his level was after I kill him/her.
After killing Godrod Hairy-Breeks and his consort in their cave dwelling in a brutal fight which took many tries with my level 1 adventurer, and then claiming their cave as my own, I really wanted to know just what level character I defeated. My sense of power and gloating as I rested in his still warm hammock may have been seriosly deflated if I was to learn that I struggled so hard just to beat a level 1 doofus. But knowing is everything.
So, can this be done?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:42 pm

Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Safedisc hack to increase performance

On the BIS boards, a poster recommended this link:
http://gcw.gamingelite.com/games/files/Morrowind_NOCD.ace

Get Winace to open it at:
http://www.winace.com/

Apparently, some of the slowdown is coming from Safedisc, which runs all the time while you are playing the game. This chews up much needed system resources, which in turn, drops FPS. This noCD.exe has no Safedisc on it, but still requires you to have the Morrowind disc for initial loading of the game (game searches for movie files and such). I'm not recommending to pirate this game by using this either. But people here:
http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/morrowind/topic.asp?fid=3367&tid=632324 have reported up to a 15% increase in FPS, which would seem to help many of you. Also following Rendelius' points will help you squeeze more out of your systems. Good luck, and don't give up on this gem!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:48 pm