Any other Gothic-like Game???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Operation_JeDi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Any other Gothic-like Game???

Is there any other games I can get that are in "any way" like Gothic. I've tried playing Morrowind but my comp is too slow for it or something. I have a decent computer and yet it's all choppy. Anyways, so if anyone knows, just tell me a few. Thanks.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:11 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ultima IX: Ascension is the game that immediately comes to mind when I think of games similiar to Gothic. That was a sorely underrated game, but also very much ahead of its time when released in 1999. To this day the graphics are just beautiful. But it has a very similiar feel and gameplay to Gothic, and visually too, though generally brighter. Unfortunately, you virtually cannot find it available for retail purchase anywhere. But, you usually can find a good number of copies on eBay. I would strongly recommend it, as it is a great game! (In my humble opinion.)
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:22 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Re: Any other Gothic-like Game???

quote:
Originally posted by Operation_JeDi
Is there any other games I can get that are in "any way" like Gothic. I've tried playing Morrowind but my comp is too slow for it or something. I have a decent computer and yet it's all choppy. Anyways, so if anyone knows, just tell me a few. Thanks.

I don't know of any other game, but Morrowind is not like Gothic.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:26 pm
Operation_JeDi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes it is like Gothic. Just cause it's 1st person doesn't meany anything. You still have to join guilds and do quests and stuff.

I wasn't asking for a game EXACTLY like it...but something similar.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:29 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Deus Ex comes close in the feel of the game, although the content is worlds apart.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:43 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You might try Redguard. It's old and not too pretty, but the gameplay resembles that of Gothic... at least more than Morrowind.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Operation_JeDi
Yes it is like Gothic. Just cause it's 1st person doesn't meany anything. You still have to join guilds and do quests and stuff.

I wasn't asking for a game EXACTLY like it...but something similar.

I didn't say anything about 1st person. I was speaking mainly of the quality and fun of the game. I find Morrowind to be lacking compared to Gothic. The longer I play MW, the more I feel like a delivery boy crisscrossing a dull synthetic world.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:01 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Severance: Blade of Darkness. Arx Fatalis is also coming out soon.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:23 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

What do you mean by LIKE GOTHIC? Is it the RPG elements? The open map? 3rd person view? NPC interaction? Linear storyline?

There's too many games which can be LIKE Gothic. Perhaps you can narrow down your question?
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:33 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Ultima IX is real close to Gothic, be sure you get the patch (it's a big patch). Jas is right, Redguard is close; but I thought the game sucked (big time) and never completed it. It started out well; but never built in excitement. Ultima is a real "pretty" game with outstanding scenery; but not enough NPCs in the game to suit me, and is pretty much linear. The thing about the above games is that they are pretty straight forward on where you have to go and what you must do. Nothing really comes close to Gothic in the openess of the game except Daggerfall (If you have all the patches and a lot of patience). So for eye candy, openess, plenty of NPCs, and pure fun, the winner is: Daggerfall
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:57 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Max Killen
the winner is: Daggerfall

Daggerfall. That's part of the Elder Scroll series? It's the predecessor of Morrowind?

I think Operation_JeDi loathes Morrowind. Anyway... five and a half months to go till Gothic 2! That ought to be a good one!
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Daggerfall was better than MW in my opinion. But the direct predecessor of MW was Redguard even if it was more of an action adventure. And I didn't think it was boring...
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:45 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I had gotten all the patches available for Ultima Ascension and it still kept deleting my saved games. So I gave up on it.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:06 am