Dungeon Lords CE Demo @ Blue's News
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dungeon Lords CE Demo @ Blue's News

Blue's News is reporting that an updated Dungeon Lords demo containing changes made for the collector's edition is available from a variety of download locations. Head to <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=66271" target="_blank">Blue's News</a> for download links.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:02 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't bought the game to grab this and give it a shot ...

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:03 pm
Andrew_

Re: Dungeon Lords CE Demo

Is there any truth to the rumour that the demo comes with this StarForce copy-protection nightmare thingy? Or is it just someone's idea of scare-mongering?
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:04 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I'll give it a try this time.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:44 am
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't bought the game to grab this and give it a shot ...

Ugh. Alright. But only because I have better things to do.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:58 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_
Is there any truth to the rumour that the demo comes with this StarForce copy-protection nightmare thingy? Or is it just someone's idea of scare-mongering?

I can't imagine why someone would say that ... doesn't this game have enough against it?

Nothing about Dungeon Lords has StarForce - not the original demo, not the original game, not the Collector's Edition, and not the CE demo.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Dungeon Lords Collector’s Edition Demo Mini-Review (PC)

Prior to the release of the original Dungeon Lords, Dreamcatcher Games put out a demo that was essentially recut from part of a months old press-build of the game. The demo was a mess, fraught with issues and bugs and not particularly representative of the actual game.

The release of the original full game was a disaster, and is detailed in my GamerDad Review. Since then four patches later have fixed most of the issues of the original game, and in February 2006 Dreamcatcher Games released the Dungeon Lords Collector’s Edition, which included all patches from the original game as well as additional quests and content. You can read my full review of the Collector's Edition here. In the review I say that the game "is held back by the fundamental flaws of the game design ... If you can get past those things it is a reasonably fun game that most gamers will enjoy somewhat, but it is not as fun as I had assumed the ‘ultimate’ version of the game would be when assessing the original release."

Dreamcatcher has just released a demo for the Collector's Edition, and I wanted to let people know what to expect. First off, you can choose from three of the characters of the main game - dwarf male, human female and urgoth male - and can fully customize them as in the full Collector's Edition. The area covered is identical to the original demo - it represents the first main challenge in the game: getting into Fargrove. Aside from that it is very different from the original demo, but similar to the full Collector's Edition. The original demo threw so many enemies at you from the very start that it would be possible to level up more than once just standing at the initial campfire. The original game toned that way down and the Collector's Edition balanced it out, but the new demo scales it back even further, such that I encountered only two rats before my initial side-trip at the Fargrove gates.

I believe that this new release demonstrates the overall gameplay of the Collector's Edition perfectly, and is a reminder of why playing a demo can be so important. If you get to the end of the demo and are thinking 'I want more!' then go out and buy the game without hesitation. But if you are halfway through the theater area and are thinking 'if I watch another group of goblins spawn out of mid-air I'm going to stick my head in the toilet and flush repeatedly', then quit, uninstall and be happy you saved yourself some money.

While I believe that all owners of the original Dungeon Lords should get the Collector's Edition content for free, I applaud DreamCatcher on two things - for persevering and releasing the 'ultimate' version of Dungeon Lords and for releasing a demo that accurately represents what players can expect in the game.

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:55 pm
Andrew_

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_

I can't imagine why someone would say that ... doesn't this game have enough against it?

Nothing about Dungeon Lords has StarForce - not the original demo, not the original game, not the Collector's Edition, and not the CE demo.

Thanks Mike for the confirmation, as you say it's got a rather large boulder to roll up hill as it is. Seems this was as suspected, just a mischief-maker taking advantage of an easy target.

The above re-review is helpful too, ta!
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:21 am

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:

OMg, cracking up here! The DL saga just entertains me so much!
I just have to see what the demo looks like, since i was so rough on the original, quite curious what the change is.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:20 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I just played the new CE demo for like a half hour, and yes, it is definitely improved in nearly every aspect. First thing youll notice is the game looks a whole lot better, even on the default 800 x 600, in my opinion it looks quite good in regards to both the environs and the creatures. This looks like a game I could play, and unfortunately the first view that the world should have gotten of it. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20

Thankfully, I wasnt mobbed by an army of creatures right off the bat as previously was, quite comically actually, but unlike txa, I encountered a variety of creatures (goblins,human thieves,mushroom things,bats,rats,and a snake) as I just canvassed most of the first map you land on. They also looked quite good IMHO, and the number I encountered was manageable. That automap really helps, and whaddy know, I have sound! The presentation of the menus and such when you start the game up is polished and quite nice, and I quite liked the cinematic. The demo runs well, I had no framerate issues.

The hit detection is a little funky, I'm not sure if Im not hitting things due to lack of skill or something, it was merely a quick run-thru. I just ran around basically testing the framerate, spawns, combat, and observing the graphics, my chief complaints of the prior demo. As I said they are all markedly improved, if such an assertion based on a brief half-hour session can be given any credence whatsoever.

One thing I noticed was thankfully, the ability to do the "groin spin" breakdancing-like move after death still remains
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:21 am