Usergroups
Why can't I enjoy the Gothic games?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Never Winter Nights was horrible stupid combat system bland graphics deleted that crap in 20 minutes

The magic in Morrowind was just as horrible as the Hand to Hand Combat i saw magic users complaining about it as well.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:59 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The good thing about Neverwinter Nights was that it
1) had no real flaws. Its graphics were good, its combat, while being point and click such as most RPGs, was very well animated and it actually became better by leveling.
2) the best editor to date. There are still A+ modules being brought out and paid for to this date, which describes the ageless character of the game, since we mustn't forget it came out a good 4 years ago.
3) the opportunities for community. Partly due to the great editor, partly due to the excellent (non-massive, thank god) multiplayer system, there are a great many totally different games that use the Neverwinter Nights game with a module world which has different rules. the original RPG boardgame - with dungeon master and invented story - had never found a good port to PC, but it did with Neverwinter Nights.

Maybe you will not appreciate the game being a fan of games like Quake or Half-life, but I'm not. I'm a roleplayer, and to me, Neverwinter Nights easily beats every RPG to date out of the water. Not by the game's story, to be honest (though it's not bad), but by what is behind the game. What comes after the game. Any roleplayer who cannot appreciate Neverwinter Nights, in my opinion, is not a roleplayer.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I consider myself an avid (mostly p&p including AD&D, but also CRPG) roleplayer, among other things, but the only thing I liked about NWN was the armor designer. I thought NWN's original story was bland, but the real problem was the setting... for me, the Forgotten Realms background of AD&D was the least interesting of them all (and I found the setting which was later called Planescape to be the most interesting).

I like p&P roleplaying because of the interaction, but so far, playing a CRPG online didn't hold the same degree of fascination, so NWN's online capacity was no saving grace.
In short, NWN was my least favorite CRPG of the last 10 years, along with Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Master 2.

What constitutes a good CRPG for me must not mean the same to others, and vice versa. For me, atmosphere, immersion and (non-generic) lore are the most important, and NWN failed in all three aspects.
Well, I'm glad there's such a wide range of different types of CRPGs because there's a great variety of players as well.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
In short, NWN was my least favorite CRPG of the last 10 years

Did you play Descent To Undermountain? Hold on, why am I laughing? I bought it!

With G3, Oblivion and Dark Messiah on the way, it looks like we'll have a decent handful of differently-styled, modern and hopefully very good RPGs to choose from soon.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:37 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Did you play any of the modules?

I didn't find the game itself all that great - - it was pretty good though, decent storyline, well-designed quests, nice graphic effects and wide range of armor/weapons, but what I enjoyed most was the roleplayer modules - the one designed specifically for the people with an interest in storylines and such. I'm a low-fantasy fan, so there was a module - i forget the name - but magic was not allowed in it, and I absolutely loved. Made a few modules myself too - it was actually even cooler than just playing the game. The fact about NWN that wins me over is that there are no real shortcomings like all the other games have - the biggest letdown for me was having to load a new area so often, and that wasn't a very big one.

Dungeon Siege was positively awful though - I don't understand how it could be so hyped. Its sequel is much better though, but still, linear as all hell.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:11 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Did you play the Witch's Wake module(s)? I heard that was excellent, but unfortunately it did some loony freak-out business on my PC (stop me if I'm getting too technical) and I couldn't play it.

What about The Witcher? Another witchy title, and also a NWN-based game, but that's all just coincidental, I'm sure. Looks interesting, but descriptions of the combat indicate it might be a bit "mouse-clicky" for my liking (have I fully explained what I mean by that? Yes, I think so, it was very articulate ). Your mention of module-loading, Mr. Cain, is what reminded me. Also, some of the screenshots worryingly remind me of Crusaders of Might & Magic levels. Ugh.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:58 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gaidal Cain

- unable to customize your character. Not only can't you pick who you play, by name and appearance, but aside from the combat development, your character is pretty much fixed from the beginning. I think it would be a small change to allow the player to pick a name aside from "Nameless Hero" (I think a nameless hero would choose to name himself anyway, you know) and pick his appearance, down to gender (This game would be a lot more appealing to women, and, yes, sadly, men as well (lol), if you could actually play a woman)

no a big part of the story line is that the hero is nameless, and it's funny, G1"I'm Diego", the hero starts "I'm .....", Diego " I don't care who you are"
and nobody else does as well.

quote:

- the countless animals to deal with. I think gothic's combat would be done a lot more justice if you would fight more real people or orcs and less nameless animals including even rats and insects (come on) who just happen to be hostile and ever in your way. You're not going to use your sword to battle flies to the death, I mean jesus.

if a you stood against a huge fly(half your size) with a giant stinger that survives on blood wouldn't you be carrying a sword or mace to battle them with it???, the world is extermly hostile, you can die at every turn, that is for me some of the things that makes gothic so specail, they don't cuddle you along, they throw you into the furnace, survived great go kill some dragons, died you get to see your corpse eating by wolves or whatever.

quote:

- Not enough quests. Gothic is such a detailed world it should be easy, especially in the world of Gothic III which is supposed to be much bigger, to make a lot of useful and developing side quests that aren't of the "fetch this, kill that" genre, but fit better with the political currents that are very dominant and inspiring in Gothic. Otherwise, I think more activity in the cities in terms of trade and such would be awesome. Like, enabling you to buy a house, for instance, or even build yourself a keep at a distant location of your choice. Can you dig it?

first of all you will never have that kind of money... really building a keep takes alot of gold, and gothic isn't so much of a trade game, the best I could do was about 100,000 because frankly I got bored, and that was with exploits so, why do it?, also I think the quest were great , and plentyfull, they did dry up in the last few chapters untill all you had was the main quest but I found them satsfaying

quote:

The good thing about Neverwinter Nights was that it
1) had no real flaws. Its graphics were good, its combat, while being point and click such as most RPGs, was very well animated and it actually became better by leveling.

no real flaws?, how about 1d npc, they were bland and frankly unimgantive the same could be said for the graphics

quote:

3) the opportunities for community. Partly due to the great editor, partly due to the excellent (non-massive, thank god) multiplayer system, there are a great many totally different games that use the Neverwinter Nights game with a module world which has different rules. the original RPG boardgame - with dungeon master and invented story - had never found a good port to PC, but it did with Neverwinter Nights.

that is true I play at a PW that has better spells better realism, and better role playing then the original game(not a hard tast but still )
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:15 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@ Gaidal Cain: Yes, and some were rather good (I also did play online for a while, nice modules, good parties etc.), but when I buy a game I want it to appeal to me straight out of the box. I don't want to have to wait for other gamers to supply me with enjoyable content.

@piln: I actually liked Descent to Undermountain to a certain degree. For one thing, I didn't expect much from it - just a game of Descent with a story-, and I got what I expected. I expected a lot from NWN, though, and didn't get what I expected (the romance part, for example, was downright awful... and yes, romance sub-plots are something I actually look forward to when it's announced in a game). Perhaps I liked Gothic because I didn't know anything about the game when I received it as a gift many years ago - anyway, it held me in awe for weeks on end because it was - in my eyes - so different.
As for romances: I didn't expect any romance at all in Morrowind because the predecessors didn't have real romance subplots, so the laughable one I was thrown was far better than what I expected (i.e., none).
For me, the best CRPG in this regard - so far - was Jade Empire. I expected a lot, got somewhat less in terms of openendedness (like so many other games it was quite linear), but the romance options alone were worth playing the game at least four times ^_^.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:29 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Neverwinter Nights had no flaws LOL then why comming from a person who plays alot of rpgs had no interest in it and delete it in 20 mins?

The graphics really are terrible basic bland colors it really is very ugly look at the clothe and armor just terrible and blurry.

What the hell is with the combat? I have no idea it was retard and wierd over all very ugly and forgettable game.

Everything just looked so horrible and ugly.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:34 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Jaz, Romance in videogames: a tough thing for a developer to take on, eh? Especially in RPGs where overly simplified character interaction won't go unnoticed (or un-complained-about). I didn't know there was a torrid affair awaiting the player in Morrowind, and based on your recommendation I don't think I'll bother returning to the game to seek out a pussycat mate for my tiger-faced gentleman thief. I wonder if there'll be something similar (hopefully better) in Oblivion?

I think one of the best examples of a romantic relationship in a game is in Project Rub. Not much of an RPG, that one. In fact, it's total nonsense, but the illusion of a relationship existing in this very bizarre world is never broken because it's only shown to the player in movie scenes and very controlled minigame environments. A luxury not available to many RPG developers - the fact that the object of the player's affection is right there in your open-ended gameworld and is expected to talk and behave in a believable manner at length is a massive hurdle. Games like Planescape:Torment that have a somewhat abstract visual representation of events and rely on text a lot can sidestep such problems, but for games like Oblivion that choose to depict the world and its inhabitants realistically, and in realtime...? Suddenly, non-linear storytelling seems like a cakewalk! I'd love to see romance done well, but I'd hate to be the designer who had the task! (^^)

But isn't it funny how different this is to in-game relationships that are not romantic, but still "close" and important to the player - and the intense feelings they can stir? Ico and Planescape:Torment are the best examples I can bring to mind. Why is the step from depicting friendship/dependence/responsibility to depicting romantic love or sexual attraction such a difficult one for games?

Also, I agree that the combat in NWN was retard.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:03 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Some pretty good stuff here though we've gotten a little off-topic. Let me chime in on NWN. I really enjoyed the game. I enjoyed the various npcs, especially the little thief. I haven't played any of the add-on modules except for the two official games. The first one was a fine but I really enjoyed HOTU. I thought that was some of the most fun romping I've done in a long time in a AD&D world. I agree with anyone who says that the Forgotten Realms should be just that. Let's forget about them and move on. It'd be nice to see a new world. Let's bury Drizzt, Elminster, Kelben Blackstaff, and all the harpers. I'd rather play on Greyhawk.

I'll ignore all the childish, you don't love my game so you're stupid posts and address the posts made by adults. I want to like Gothic, but as G. C. said, I'm a mage at heart and the world of Gothic has no place for mages. I imagine it might be one of the better non-mouse combat engines around but I'm not really a fan of combat unless it's tactical and turn-based. The reason I like Morrowind's combat better than Gothics is that it was easier to resolve quickly.
I was able to get on with what I like doing: collecting, exploring, questing, and didn't have to waste time dancing with monsters. Oblivion is now going to make combat much more like Gothic's so I really hoped they balanced magic better. I want to be able to fry, freeze, paraylze, electrocute, and filet my enemies quickly

I never played Jade Empire or Jagged Alliance?, can't remember the name for sure. I love combat in games like Fallout, Wizardry, Realms of Arkania, etc. While I'm a Morrowind fanboy somewhat, I'm also a Codexer, and we're all about turn-based combat Speaking of a game that has great magic and combat let me give a nod towards Spellforce. I don't like the army building but I loved the combat in those games. What a blast!
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:15 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Piln: I played the Witch's Wake, it was good, but I thought both expansions were better. In my opinion, NWN expansions were profound and thoroughly underestimated, especially SoU, which didn't get any good reviews but probably had the most interesting game content in general.

The Witcher looks good, more low-magic than most which is always a good thing to me. Again with the pre-chosen character though. But he looks cool. But yes, it'll be a more diablo-style clickfest, from what I get from the game.

cptmaxon: You know what the worst possible scenario would be? That you end up finally finding out your name and as it turns out you just happen to be the heir to the throne. That would be a positively awful plot twist for me, but it is so what will happen. I'd rather make my legend than know I'm playing a game and when I defeat whatever whoever I'll find out my destiny which I know already because it's so easy to figure out.

I have no fantastic desire to battle flies, I find battling bugs in roleplaying games a bit lame, actually. Alright, throw me some wolves, but not flies and meat bugs. I hated in the beginning of Morrowind, when you went out and got better by killing tons of mudcrabs. That breaks the gameplay for an RPG to me. Sure its fine for an action game, but I'd rather earn my first sword skills being taught the moves by my sergeant in the town militia or something. I am under the impression that I don't need swordsmanship skill to kill a crab - - you just swing and its dead, it's no skirmish.

In the middle ages, a set of armor cost about the same as a good sized house. If you have that unique Paladin armor in GothicII, you can afford a keep; trust me.

you're underrating NWN's NPC. I mean give me one NPC in Gothic or Morrowind that is more fresh and imaginitive than Deekin the Kobold Bard? Give me one.

I played NWN, and especially the expansions with every possible henchman, because there was a well-thought out backstory about each of them.

Jaz: I didn't know what to expect when I got it, because I had spent half a year thinking it was an adventure game, until i saw it was bioware's follow-up of the BG series and decided to try it. From the moment I had it installed I was enchanted - - it lasted for months before I came even close to putting it down. after finishing the game doing everything a couple of times, I spent time making modules and crafting my own armor and such. But then, I had no predispositions or expectations toward the game.

paul999999, if you gave NWN 20 minutes, I'd say you don't have the knowledge to dispute anything I say about neverwinter nights, because you simply havent played it really. 20 minutes, hell, that will hardly get you through the tutorial.

In fact, I think you were playing a different game, from your posts.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:19 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@crpgnut: Jade Empire still is an XBox- exclusive title IIRC; it has real-time combat, and far more martial arts than magic. The most powerful magic is transformation magic and thus effectively all about stomping an enemy into the ground, but as I already said, the romance options are plentiful and most interesting, and characters/NPCs are nicely designed and sympathetic.
You might like Jagged Alliance 2, however, if you're not hooked on fantasy alone: round-based combat and isometric view. Yes, I liked the game although I said I'm not a fan of the RBC genre, but the NPCs and the way relations between them were handled were just hilarious. All in all the story and everything were like straight from a cheap B-class merc flick... fun-tastic. No magic, of course, but you have the option of playing it with or without sci-fi story elements.
A tip: be careful with alcohol .

@Gaidal Cain: I got NWN the day it was out, I installed it, played it straight for a few days and then lost interest. It took me forever to finish it because it just didn't hold my interest, and then other games were published I found I liked better. Well, different tastes.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:42 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yeah, I can understand that. There are some games that you know are supposed to be really good, but you just can't get into. Like me and the Final Fantasy series, hate the crap out of them, really.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:52 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I didnt need to play it any longer because i already knew it isnt going to get any better and straight from the start i hated the retarded combat and look of the game.

I thought it was going to be a good rpg after watching the intro im like ok lets go soon as the game started im in a room just look how bland this game is and the clothe are very buggy i went to the training thing where he was showing me the combat and i dont know how to explain it but its not simple click and action but very wierd all these things it was very slow and stupid.

I played until I met the girl and the monsters set loose after that i deleted it.

One of these over rated games i hate with a passion just like Morrowind and Diablo Series all crappy games but no matter how crappy they are theres always some one whos going to play them thats why they keep making crap.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next