RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

First Time NWN with Sorceress

I'm playing NWN with a Sorceress now
and I have some difficulties
(with my rogue it was much easier even without henchman but also a little less interesting (no spells) )

My char gets killed very often because she accidentally runs into an enemy and is slain by the first strike(s).
is there an option to walk more carefully instead of running all the time?

My henchman (barbarian) is often far behind me - even though I ordered him to stay close - and comes too late to guard me!
Why can't he walk besides me or even in front of me?

I have a familiar, a fey, how can I tell her to open locks for me and follow me but staying away of fights?
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

In order to 'walk' all the time, just make sure you hit the hotkey to 'search'. Not only do you walk, but you actively look for traps. Can't argue with that.

As for the barbarian... he stays pretty close to me... just make sure he catches up before walking onwards. He can't go in front of you, unfortunately.

As for the pixie... let it fight. If it dies you can summon another one. UNlike BG2 or real D&D you don't permanently lose anything for your familiar dying. She's actually a pretty good little fighter. If you want her to pick locks, you can either click on the locked door and she'll try automatically (Red Tiger will as well... with his axe and a barbarian rage and power attack) or you can possess her and do it yourself.

Traps she's pretty good at zipping to and disarming as soon as they are detected.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:00 pm
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

after some starting difficulties my soceress is now level 8 (soon finishing chapter 1)
and she TOASTS enemies all the time
she's much better than my last char (rogue/ranger)
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That would be because nothing in any edition of D&D can stand up long to the wrath of an arcane spell thrower.

Wizards: When an enemy nation absolutely needs to be destroyed overnight.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:16 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Wizards: When an enemy nation absolutely needs to be destroyed overnight.

"Damn Straight!"
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Unless you throw a stone golem at them. I hope you have teleport, Mr Wizard... or you're dead. Or a Beholder with a fire giant slave. Or a high level drow assassin. Or a sneaky druid. Or a sneaky rogue. Or a sneaky fighter. Or a 20th level monk. Or a Roper. Or a Rakshasa (not the gimped version in NWN). Or a dragon (not the gimped versions in NWN). Or...

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:16 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Hahaha. Interesting. I'm currently playing both a sorceror and a wizard. I'm finding the sorceror easier to play and more powerful, at least at low levels in Chapter one. If your concerned about rushing into trouble, add a level of barbarian and it should make quite a difference.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:48 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Re: First Time NWN with Sorceress

quote:
Originally posted by TheRaven

(with my rogue it was much easier even without henchman but also a little less interesting (no spells) )

My rogue casts spells constantly... I equip scrolls, magic rods and magic items in about a dozen quick slots, it works wonderfully! I just put another point on my magic item skill every level.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

And that is why Gig wins. Use Magic Device is the most powerful rogue and bard skill ever.

Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:03 pm
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

how high must "use magic device skill" be to use a lvl 1, lvl2, lvl3...wizards spell scroll? and can you use cleric spell scrolls too?
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Page 178 of your manual. Table 12: Use Magic Device Skill
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:49 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Its pretty easy to play as a sorcerer/wizard, if you take the half-orc fighter with you, and you summon a familiar, then you just stay behind them and cast spells.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:13 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

One general tip for playing a sorcerer is to plan your spells before you level. Try to avoid taking more than one spell of the same type (i.e. fireball and delayed blast fireball). This should ensure you can handle ememies that have particular element resistances (although doesn't help you with stone golems - might want a decent summon spell for that )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:59 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
One general tip for playing a sorcerer is to plan your spells before you level. Try to avoid taking more than one spell of the same type (i.e. fireball and delayed blast fireball). This should ensure you can handle ememies that have particular element resistances (although doesn't help you with stone golems - might want a decent summon spell for that )

Hmm, whice kind of different summon spells are there for the sorcerer? I only have Summon Creature 1 or whatever its called, and it summons the same weak creature all the time. Not much for a Stone Golem, but then again, im only level 5.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:51 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Hmm, whice kind of different summon spells are there for the sorcerer? I only have Summon Creature 1 or whatever its called, and it summons the same weak creature all the time. Not much for a Stone Golem, but then again, im only level 5.

OK I'll admit that Summon Creature 1 isn't gonna help you much with the Stone Golem

But this is what I mean - Personally I wouldn't take summon creature at level 1 I would wait until I could take one of the more powerful summoning spells (I probably would only take one summon spell as you can only have one summoned creature at a time in NWN hence making the lower levels spell of less use).
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:15 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next