View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Badger Hits the Spacelanes Again.

Hi All

It's been quite a while since I last put finger to keyboard to post here. Why when I saw you last, this hall was shiny new and smelling of the sawdust of new planks. Fresh from the "witness" style barn raising which saw your Badger at the top of a ladder sharing lemonade and manly handshakes, while passing out hammers and nails to the needy.

But here I am once again, inspired by a recent free trial of "Eve Online" and the advent of the wonderful 1.4 patch, to take up the "X2" gaunlett once again and take the opportunity to bombard you with a whole passle of threads designed as ever to entertain and bamboozle in one fell swoop.

Here we go then.......

Question.. is it possible to have had "X2" since its UK release and still be a newbie? Answer.... yup! If you're the Badger it is!

This'll be my..erm...third? X2 outting, returning time and again to its wily space trading ways for an entrepreneurial fix, before retiring to a dark corner beaten and humiliated when I can't get beyond being sent off to make my fortune soon after destroying the mines on the derelict jump gate.

It's all so daunting you see? The security blanket of Ban Danna and co's regular missions ripped cruelly from me and I'm left shivering in space with only the starter ship and a donated rust bucket of a cargo carrier to my name! A PC that can barely handle the framerate on any combat and pointed toward the void with the seemingly unattainable task of buying a couple of stations and making my trading mark.

Buy it low..sell it high. That sounds easy enough!... right!

As Dr Smith was prone to say.... "Oh the pain, the pain."

It doesn't help to read posts on other forums, from "supposed" fellow "newbies", who claim to be two stations to the good in their first weekends play! It just rubs salt into the wounds and proves how inept your Badger truly is.

Well not this time do you hear?

This time I have embarked upon the path to "X2" riches and they will be mine. MINE!!!

As is ever the way though, the path to greatness lies strewn with the bodies of those who set off unprepared and so I turn to the home of the UberXmeisters for wisdom along my way.

Here's a couple to start you off...

1/ The manual ( ahhh I remember it well. Bless)adopts an interesting approach to game controls, in that it appears to give you a few of the required keys and leave you floundering for all the others! Well.... it was nice of them to give us a couple to be going on with I guess.

The keys I could ask for are many and varied, but today I'm going to ask you about setting a view to your "target". So far I've only managed to do this in the main view. If I press "F3" in a "monitor" though, all it does is get bigger. Is it possible to set this view in a monitor?

That's probably an easy one eh? Well don't worry because I'm just getting you warmed up for my second question!

2/ You all know I'm colour blind right? Course you do.

It's not often I come across something which this makes a problem, but with "X2" I am unable to see the directional prompt for a hostile target. I'm fine with the ordinary stuff, it targets in light blue I think and I can see it just fine. But hostiles are effectively invisible.

So far this has not affected me outside training, because I've avoided combat and concentrated on missions and minor trading. But sooner or later it's going to and "The Heart of Gold" (my ship) is going to be in a world of pain.

Is it possible to change the colours for the targetting prompts?

That's it for now.

Badger
Post Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Monitors are tricky... I haven't played in a while so I can't recall the exact buttons... but setting one to target in the main menu is the way to do it.

Cycling through the monitors and setting them active is something you rarely have to do. In fact the only thing I really use monitors for is using a TL sized vessel to mine (and that is frankly suicidal ... I gave it up in favor of a little mining ship and a host of collectors and using the TL as a base ship.).

I usually do have a monitor set to the outside of my ship as it helps avoid bumping into things and looks cool when you're using a Cruiser. When I have two cruisers in the same sector I always have a monitor set to the outside of the other one to see if it's about to be overzealous and ram me (the autopilot rarely seems to take the 1.5km length into acount when chasing things in combat). When I see my Titan on the external view of my Ray I know it's time to STRAFE... for the love of god... STRAAAAAAAFFEEEE! before several million credits of damage is done.

So, not much help there... trial and error is the best way to learn the monitors.

as for number 2...

Ugh. Ouch. No, there is no way to change the color of 'hostiles'. I'd write tech support of Egosoft or go to the technical support or scripting forums of www.egosoft.com ... I'm sure someone could whip up a script that would do that in no time.

You can set your enemies faction to friendly, however ... using the global options just tinker with the one that says 'show as hostile if hostile to me'. If you set it to no that should turn everything blue. However... your ships won't defend themselves and your missiles may not lock or track (haven't tried). I think a color modifying script is the better bet, though.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 25, 2005 2:03 pm